Football 2022/23

charlierc

18 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I look at the Everton team and think Dyche would be a good fit.

A few have said this, yes. Short of a striker to play 4-4-2 (arguably 2 strikers given Maupay isn't reliable and Calvert-Lewin has an increasingly poor injury record) but the defence and midfield is there, and they can do worse imo.

If the early favourite is Bielsa it hints they may have a different idea in mind.

I Can't see how they can stay up with FFP and effectively no owner. They need to go down, go under and wipe out about £1bn of debt. There would then possibly be a bargain asset there for the yanks with a pretty large existing supporter base.

Edited by lost

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

f the early favourite is Bielsa it hints they may have a different idea in mind.

getting a manager who can get them promoted. if bieslsa is so good why did leeds get worse when he was manager.

14 minutes ago, lost said:

I Can't see how they can stay up with FFP and effectively no owner. They need to go down, go under and wipe out about £1bn of debt. There would then possibly be a bargain asset there for the yanks with a pretty large existing supporter base.

There's no such thing as FFP, it's a myth (see Man City)

I agree that they need to go down and reset.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

There's no such thing as FFP, it's a myth (see Man City)

well said!

there's also no such thing as a great manager in Pep, its a myth (see Champions League)

Edited by Neil

5 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

One foot in the final for the Toon. Hopefully they get it done next Tuesday. Imagine a trophy in new owner's and Eddie's first full season!

who wants to cheer their sportswashing?

23 hours ago, Neil said:

getting a manager who can get them promoted. if bieslsa is so good why did leeds get worse when he was manager.

I mean, Bielsa's progression saw him take over a Leeds team that had just finished 13th, and saw them narrowly miss out on promotion, then win the Championship, and get a top half finish in their first season back. Something was there in the first few seasons that just disappeared in 2021/22.

Early rumours however are that he isn't quite so fond of the idea of being parachuted in. One paper is claiming Bielsa told Everton they're too slow to play his preferred way.

On 1/24/2023 at 7:09 PM, Skip997 said:

Where?

They're a truly dreadful squad and need to go down for their own sake and that of the PL

Well until early October they were getting results at an OK rate, including a six game unbeaten run, to the point where some pundits who were speaking far too soon claimed Lampard had figured something out, plus they don't concede as much as some others - 28 goals conceded is less than the rest of the bottom 8 except West Ham, and is indeed less conceded than Spurs and Fulham, who are in the top seven.

But the observation was more that if you wanted to play a steely 4-4-2 style thing, I would say they have the players to play in that kind of formation in defence and midfield. Where they don't is attack. Their attack is pretty dreadful and I fail to see how you can fix that without signings.

Probably doesn't help their main target just got prized off them by Spurs, mind.

20 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

One foot in the final for the Toon. Hopefully they get it done next Tuesday. Imagine a trophy in new owner's and Eddie's first full season!

At least Joelinton had the shooting boots on when it mattered, given the slightly unfortunate miss just after half-time and VAR finding a hand somewhere in there (which didn't look like it imo - certainly less of a handball than the one Armstrong got tagged for in Southampton's disallowed equaliser, where it was more clear that the last touch was the bad one).

On 1/24/2023 at 11:09 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

The fixtures are being kind to you, and we all need that. FA Cup free weekend, then a potential final against united with a full week's rest. Whilst united have a 2nd leg against Barcelona 3 days before. 

Be interesting what's happens next season in the Champions League.

21 minutes ago, thetime said:

The fixtures are being kind to you, and we all need that. FA Cup free weekend, then a potential final against united with a full week's rest. Whilst united have a 2nd leg against Barcelona 3 days before. 

Be interesting what's happens next season in the Champions League.

I think we'll worry about that bridge when it needs to be crossed.

45 minutes ago, thetime said:

I think both the uniteds have got lucky this season, with the garbage Liverpool, Chelsea and spurs are serving up. Should be a lot more tighter up there. 

Spurs could yet come back into this tbf, although it is dependent on Antonio Conte needing to let the handbrake off. Liverpool and Chelsea, by contrast, might as well just try winning the Champions League as that seems like it might be less work.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Spurs could yet come back into this tbf, although it is dependent on Antonio Conte needing to let the handbrake off. Liverpool and Chelsea, by contrast, might as well just try winning the Champions League as that seems like it might be less work.

Do Spurs necessarily need to take the handbrake off. It would only take Newcastle or Man Utd form to slightly to take a hit, for Spurs to overtake them the way they are playing now. There is still half a season left.