Football 2022/23

charlierc

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I mean, when Newcastle went 2-0 up through Longstaff's second, I thought it was all signed, sealed and delivered. Not quite.

That time after Bruno's sending off is genuinely one of the most tense I've felt at a football game in years but the job's done. Super.

Random question but what has happened to Paul Dummett? I couldn’t believe when I checked on Wikipedia and found he was still there. I remember him declaring for Wales and hardly getting a game which is strange because any premiership Welsh player normally gets a game!

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Random question but what has happened to Paul Dummett? I couldn’t believe when I checked on Wikipedia and found he was still there. I remember him declaring for Wales and hardly getting a game which is strange because any premiership Welsh player normally gets a game!

He got injured and was out for ages. He's also not good enough.

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I forgot he was still at Newcastle if I'm totally honest. Injury hasn't helped but he's barely played since we signed Dan Burn and Matt Targett last January, and I think has also fallen behind Jamal Lewis in the pecking order. Was on the bench last night, but I imagine his contract won't be renewed when it expires at the end of the season.

It looks as well like he backed out of playing for Wales as per this article from 2019: Paul Dummett: Newcastle defender set to end Wales career - BBC Sport

8 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Fair to say Everton will need a miracle now. We don't score any goals, and we've now sold one attacking player without replacing him or getting anyone else in. Not that he's scored since August

I thought there might be a deadline day new manager rush like there was when Lampard ended up being gifted Dele Alli and Van de Beek within a day of signing last year, plus the cash Newcastle forked out for Gordon being available.

Neither Merseyside club has covered themselves in glory given I don't think Liverpool needed Gakpo as much as something in their creaking midfield, but Dyche is going to have to work wonders with what he's got, especially going forward.

9 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Fair to say Everton will need a miracle now. We don't score any goals, and we've now sold one attacking player without replacing him or getting anyone else in. Not that he's scored since August

It does feel like Usmanov/Morshi are cashing out, If Dyke keeps them up he should be nailed on for manager of the season.

Elsewhere £500m by Chelsea in little over 6 months feels like football spending is starting another leg up. I'm not sure there is a level of owners above the ones we already have? The other leagues must be pulling their hair out.

11 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

YES! GET IN!

First final since 99.

This is really not good news for football, even for Toon fans.

Sports washing countries dragging football further into the gutter.

I really can't stand Man United, but presuming they get through tonight, for the first time in my life I'll want them to win a trophy.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

This is really not good news for football, even for Toon fans.

Sports washing countries dragging football further into the gutter.

I really can't stand Man United, but presuming they get through tonight, for the first time in my life I'll want them to win a trophy.

Bore off.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Elsewhere £500m by Chelsea in little over 6 months feels like football spending is starting another leg up. I'm not sure there is a level of owners above the ones we already have? The other leagues must be pulling their hair out.

It's not the spending that is startling for me, any of the big guns can do that. Its the contract length of 8.5 years for enzo fernandez and the other players. I know it's to get around FFP and all that, but strange anyway.

Personally thought contracts would get shorter in the last few years. Be interesting if the long contracts of 7+ years is done at other clubs in the next few seasons, or will FIFA stamp on it. 

Some very sensible posts on the BBC

The 7th most expensive transfer ever off the back of barely a year in European football and a good World Cup? Football is losing its mind. What Chelsea are doing isn't even football anymore. Makes me sick.

Jamie, West Ham
SMS Message: Enzo Fernandez might become a star but my main issue is that Chelsea are making a mockery of Financial Fair Play with these ludicrously long contracts. FFP isn't fit for purpose... from Anon

Anon
SMS Message: I don't think the Premier League transfer spending record is anything to boast about, it's deeply worrying for long-term sustainability across all leagues, and the tiny spend of PL clubs' acquisitions coming from the English Football League is shameful. from Sandy, Sheffield

Sandy, Sheffield

Football is going has gone down the drain

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Some very sensible posts on the BBC

Football is going has gone down the drain

I can see both sides to be honest.

FFP was not set up to be fair and to look after clubs and fans. It was set up for the likes of Liverpool. United, barca, Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern to stay at the top table of football. 

Generally the only fans that are moaning are the likes of Liverpool, United, Madrid and barca as they are a bit miffed. Now they can not cherry pick the top players like they used to 20/30 years ago.

Why can't fans of the non traditional top teams not have success or dream of going big. I mean if you look at City, there is no way they would of been close to where they are now, without the money. 

Plus its not like united and liverpool are not buying big either, its just they buy poorly. I would hazard a guess united have spent more than any of the top teams and have the biggest wage bill. 

I am also sure once FSG sell to state money, there won't be many moans around anfield either. 

Edited by thetime
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, thetime said:

FFP was not set up to be fair and to look after clubs and fans. It was set up for the likes of Liverpool. United, barca, Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern to stay at the top table of football.

Genuinely don't understand that point, I thought it was brought in for the opposite, i.e. make more competition.

Plus its not like united and liverpool are not buying big either, its just they buy poorly. I would hazard a guess united have spent more than any of the top teams and have the biggest wage bill.

Liverpool haven't bought many recently and over the past few seasons their record of buying has been second to none. Their also spending far less than most in the PL (net).

I am also sure once FSG sell to state money, there won't be many moans around anfield either.

There will be plenty (have a look at the big LFC forums), I for one will be done with it, TBH I'm more or less there already. Have stopped watching football.

Edited by Skip997
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thetime said:

It's not the spending that is startling for me, any of the big guns can do that. Its the contract length of 8.5 years for enzo fernandez and the other players. I know it's to get around FFP and all that, but strange anyway.

Personally thought contracts would get shorter in the last few years. Be interesting if the long contracts of 7+ years is done at other clubs in the next few seasons, or will FIFA stamp on it. 

long contract to help protect their buy from interest from other clubs.

20 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

it's a way round FFP, spread the cost over many seasons

obviously.

it also helps protect the player from being bought as it'll need a higher price to get him.

41 minutes ago, Neil said:

glazers hope to get there first, will be silence from OT.

The same United fans who helped stop Maxwell and Murdoch get their grubby paws on the club?

The same United fans (like me) who gave up their season tickets they'd had for years when the Glazers took over?

The same United fans who set up a brand new club 'cos they were sick of the way their club was run?

The same United fans who got a game postponed because of their protests?

And you think there will be silence from Old Trafford if some corrupt state buys the club? I think you're letting your anti United bias get in the way of the truth!

1 minute ago, Punksnotdead said:

The same United fans who helped stop Maxwell and Murdoch get their grubby paws on the club?

The same United fans (like me) who gave up their season tickets they'd had for years when the Glazers took over?

The same United fans who set up a brand new club 'cos they were sick of the way their club was run?

The same United fans who got a game postponed because of their protests?

And you think there will be silence from Old Trafford if some corrupt state buys the club? I think you're letting your anti United bias get in the way of the truth!

same utd fans who waved their norwich scarfs and changed nothing.

7 hours ago, lost said:

It does feel like Usmanov/Morshi are cashing out, If Dyke keeps them up he should be nailed on for manager of the season.

I'm actually not as bothered about the ownership side, they did put money in but we wasted it and now FFP has us by the balls. For me its more that they've left so many football decisions to a board that's clearly convinced them that all Evertonians want is local "fans" running the place, instead of football business heavyweights. Its so quaint and old fashioned, and Moshiri's fatal flaw for me is allowing that to continue for so many years. 

They're still making stupid decisions, such as allowing Lampard to take charge of anything past the Wolves/Brighton/Southampton games (take your pick), leaving Dyche to almost guaranteed to lose his first two games and negate any new manager bounce, never mind losing to all our rivals in that time.

I think we will see improvements with Dyche, Lampard didn't change tactics to suit the players he had whereas Dyche will,  but probably not enough to stay up.

2 hours ago, thetime said:

This is it really, you can't actually rig football matches to ensure those bigger teams make the finals of the competitions, but you can pull the ladder up. 

Newcastle are doing it right, learning from our mistakes of course, but also using the money to buy the right players and not those with the big names, while investing in proper scouting etc. It's good to see.

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm actually not as bothered about the ownership side, they did put money in but we wasted it and now FFP has us by the balls.

The money was peanuts in the big scheme of things, I think Usmanov's yacht impounded by the Germans was worth about the same and if as rumoured he controls the opium route from Afghanistan through his native Uzbekistan and into Europe along with huge chunks of Russian natural resources he basically prints his own money.

Moshiri appears to be what the wolf of wall street calls a "rat hole" someone with a passport in a country who can hold assets there for someone else. Moshiri would hold the club and Usmanov would inject money via sponsorship to get around FFP, the issue now with FFP is that link has been cut by the sanctions on Putin's mates and so without it Everton are not a viable business based on what they've spent.

I think the disorganisation at boardroom level is probably similar, its Usmanov's club and he's got bigger problems currently so is just ignoring it and Moshiri really can't make any choices without sign off.