Football 2022/23

charlierc

11 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Shocking news - some football fans are c**ts! Doesn't matter who you support, if you think all your fans are squeaky clean then you're as bad as Donald Trump supporters!

I far from think that, just one of the City breatheren that used to post on here painted them as saints. 

People that think their fanbase isn't capable of being massive dickheads, no matter who they support, is just an idiot.

It's a big reason why I hate the "they're not real supporters" thing, especially when people that say this are usually the ones to say how great their fans are. If you can't accept there's bad with the good, then keep your mouth shut.

5 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I far from think that, just one of the City breatheren that used to post on here painted them as saints. 

Yeah, I know who you mean - he's an idiot! 

As an (ex) United fan, I've had to put up with 'Munich 58' abuse from Liverpool, Leeds, City & plenty of other fans, not to mention physical violence, but I've also had to endure loads of w*nkers who supported my own team, dishing out vile abuse & aggro to opposition fans!

Truth is, loads of people are c**ts, regardless of where you're from!

40 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

As an (ex) United fan, I've had to put up with 'Munich 58' abuse from Liverpool, Leeds, City & plenty of other fans, not to mention physical violence, but I've also had to endure loads of w*nkers who supported my own team, dishing out vile abuse & aggro to opposition fans!

its much easier if you support a shit team, because there's no expectations around them.

16 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

We are all on the c**t spectrum 

On 3/18/2023 at 12:34 PM, thetime said:

Newcastle v Man Utd? 1-2

Hmmmm... not quite. I expected more from Manchester United today if I'm being honest.

I didn't think we'd make Champions League either in pre-season or after our January/February wobble and there's still a version of this upcoming few weeks where we don't get the points we need to do that, but it's game on now.

19 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

People that think their fanbase isn't capable of being massive dickheads, no matter who they support, is just an idiot.

It's a big reason why I hate the "they're not real supporters" thing, especially when people that say this are usually the ones to say how great their fans are. If you can't accept there's bad with the good, then keep your mouth shut.

It's easy to get seduced by a "Us against the world" mantra in something like this tbf, hence why I think people are willing to believe they're all saints.

Saying that it's never a theory I've subscribed to - every fanbase has it's portion of dicks and/or people that get too emotionally tied up in this thing that they lost sight of where the boundaries of good conduct are.

34 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Hmmmm... not quite. I expected more from Manchester United today if I'm being honest.

I didn't think we'd make Champions League either in pre-season or after our January/February wobble and there's still a version of this upcoming few weeks where we don't get the points we need to do that, but it's game on now.

To be honest i saw that Willock miss and thought typical Newcastle, play nice and can’t convert their chances, then you got the deserved win.

It reminds me of the year Leicester won the premiership league. The big teams are underperforming and you are taking advantage.

37 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Newcastle thoroughly deserved the victory, outplayed united from the 1st whistle. Be interesting how you get on in the next month.

That's been the norm from united for the past month really. Not scoring in the last 3 league games, getting away with it in the cup against Fulham and west ham. Ten Hag had a mare tactically in the 2nd half there. 

Missing casemiro and erikson in midfield has started to bite. 

Edited by thetime

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Newcastle thoroughly deserved the victory, outplayed united from the 1st whistle. Be interesting how you get on in the next month.

That's been the norm from united for the past month really. Not scoring in the last 3 league games, getting away with it in the cup against Fulham and west ham. Ten Hag had a mare tactically in the 2nd half there. 

Missing casemiro and erikson in midfield has started to bite. 

Midfield was rather crucial in the end so I can see that. Sabitzer and McTominay just never really seemed to be up to grips with the challenge of a Longstaff-Bruno G-Willock run.

Plus yeah, when Ten Hag hooked both centre-backs, it just left them looking oddly shapeless. It wasn't as abysmal as what happened at Anfield, but there do sound like there have been a few dubious performances of late, particularly in away games.

I know Manchester United have another option for the Champions League with a Europa League quarter-final coming up, if on the difficult side of the draw, but this is quite the scrap for a top 4 spot. Not as crazy close as the relegation battle, but could go either way. Assuming Spurs don't collapse in the wake of sacking Conte, that is.

Edited by charlierc

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Midfield was rather crucial in the end so I can see that. Sabitzer and McTominay just never really seemed to be up to grips with the challenge of a Longstaff-Bruno G-Willock run.

Plus yeah, when Ten Hag hooked both centre-backs, it just left them looking oddly shapeless.

I know Manchester United have another option for the Champions League with a Europa League quarter-final coming up, if on the difficult side of the draw, but this is quite the scrap for a top 4 spot. Not as crazy close as the relegation battle, but could go either way. Assuming Spurs don't collapse in the wake of sacking Conte, that is.

Spurs have a tough April, I don't expect them to be in contention by the end of the month. 

Newcastle will be interesting to see how they handle the expectation, especially as this season is your big chance. Chelsea and Liverpool are not going to be as bad next season. 

Man Utd will be fine once casemiro and erikson are back, I fully expect us to finish 3rd and hopefully another trophy. 

Blimey - was already bold that Leicester had sacked Brendan Rodgers after they fell into the bottom 3, but now Chelsea falling into the bottom half has been the moment they end the Graham Potter experiment.

I thought Potter might at least get the Champions League games against Real Madrid coming up, but obviously not. Clearly Thomas Tuchel winning his first game at Bayern Munich doesn't help the cause in parallel.

Also makes it 13 manager changes in the PL this season, which is quite the heavy duty turnaround.

13 minutes ago, thetime said:

Spurs have a tough April, I don't expect them to be in contention by the end of the month. 

that's cos they're experts in failure. 😛

11 minutes ago, thetime said:

Newcastle will be interesting to see how they handle the expectation, especially as this season is your big chance. Chelsea and Liverpool are not going to be as bad next season. 

Man Utd will be fine once casemiro and erikson are back, I fully expect us to finish 3rd and hopefully another trophy. 

Newcastle v Spurs on April 23rd has the air of a huge game in both causes, and given our 3 games in-between today and that are all away from home, I suspect the fans will be very much up for it. I was less aware that Spurs also have Brighton, Liverpool and Manchester United coming up, plus that game at Everton tomorrow, and all of these with a new managerial team after binning Conte. If they fall away, it paves the way for us, but can't take it for granted that they will collapse.

Is Eriksen coming back this year? I thought the injury was meant to keep him out for the season. I expect them to pick up some form after this recent odd blip, but there is certainly a bit of work to figure out why their momentum has stalled a bit of late.

6 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Is Eriksen coming back this year? I thought the injury was meant to keep him out for the season. I expect them to pick up some form after this recent odd blip, but there is certainly a bit of work to figure out why their momentum has stalled a bit of late.

Erikson back in a week or so.

Momentum has stalled imo because the amount of games. 3 games a week, every week since the world cup. Our squad after the 13/14 players isn't great, so when fit we don't rotate. 

We will be fine once we get a midfield of bruno-casemiro-erikson back fit again. 

On a side note, sancho is bobbins. 

On 4/2/2023 at 9:01 PM, charlierc said:

Blimey - was already bold that Leicester had sacked Brendan Rodgers after they fell into the bottom 3, but now Chelsea falling into the bottom half has been the moment they end the Graham Potter experiment.

I thought Potter might at least get the Champions League games against Real Madrid coming up, but obviously not. Clearly Thomas Tuchel winning his first game at Bayern Munich doesn't help the cause in parallel.

Also makes it 13 manager changes in the PL this season, which is quite the heavy duty turnaround.

The funniest thing I’ve just seen is that Lampard might be returning to Stamford Bridge. Had to double check the date on the article, thought it might be a late April Fool. 

23 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

The funniest thing I’ve just seen is that Lampard might be returning to Stamford Bridge. Had to double check the date on the article, thought it might be a late April Fool. 

It's not just a rumour anymore, but actually official, and he'll be taking charge of Chelsea against Wolves on Saturday just over 2 years on from when they sacked him due to not being good enough. To say nothing of the fact that he's got to find a way for Chelsea to beat Real Madrid in the Champions League next week.

I'm still scratching my head about this one.

On 4/2/2023 at 9:17 PM, thetime said:

Erikson back in a week or so.

Momentum has stalled imo because the amount of games. 3 games a week, every week since the world cup. Our squad after the 13/14 players isn't great, so when fit we don't rotate. 

We will be fine once we get a midfield of bruno-casemiro-erikson back fit again. 

On a side note, sancho is bobbins. 

Well, both Man U and Newcastle got wins on Wednesday, so that is getting us both slightly closer towards confirming a place in the top 4. Still a fair bit of time to go though.

I'll be happy tbf if we do make it and means we get a glimpse of the Champions League in an understandable format before UEFA's Swiss System ruins it.

9 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Well, both Man U and Newcastle got wins on Wednesday, so that is getting us both slightly closer towards confirming a place in the top 4. Still a fair bit of time to go though.

I'll be happy tbf if we do make it and means we get a glimpse of the Champions League in an understandable format before UEFA's Swiss System ruins it.

Something would be serious wrong with Newcastle or United if they don't get top 4. Spurs have a rough month ahead, you got to think going into the last 4 games spurs will be trailing by at least 6 points to 4th place. 

Even Brighton have to go to Arsenal, spurs and Chelsea and also to play utd. 

Everything is going the way of the 2 uniteds really, with liverpool and Chelsea so far of the mark.

Edited by thetime

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

It's not just a rumour anymore, but actually official, and he'll be taking charge of Chelsea against Wolves on Saturday just over 2 years on from when they sacked him due to not being good enough. To say nothing of the fact that he's got to find a way for Chelsea to beat Real Madrid in the Champions League next week.

I'm still scratching my head about this one.

nothing good about it, but its possible  he's realised where he's been going wrong and will be better now.

9 hours ago, Neil said:

nothing good about it, but its possible  he's realised where he's been going wrong and will be better now.

I think where it started going wrong for him was when he thought he could manage a football team. 

I welcome the return, nothing wrong with having yet another club in this years epic relegation battle. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

The regression in VVD over the last couple of years is amazing. I think 2/3 years ago he was as good as any defender in the world, he is no longer in that conversation.

A friend is a Liverpool season ticket holder and said he just wasn’t putting in any effort before the World Cup. He thought he was so scared of missing another major international tournament.