Future of the Festival

Jack.194

5 hours ago, Matt87 said:

Think this may be my last. Personally, this year’s line up is the worst I’ve experienced. Add in another bad experience with having coach tickets and the general mob of Instagram/bucket listers that don’t seem to understand the ethos of the festival, and I’m definitely struggling to enjoy it this time.

I saw 4 lads pissing against a fence on Wednesday afternoon, less than 20m to the nearest toilets. I called them out on it and received abuse.

Maybe I’m just having some bad luck so far. Williams Green yesterday was a joke, I’ve never seen it that bad. In fact, it just seems way more crowded this time. Has capacity gone up? 

Yes, up from 208k to 220k I believe with a license provision for a year on year increase..

15 hours ago, Pinhead said:

What will happen is it will go beyond 500 quid and then the place will be full of rich fuckers.

They've worked pretty hard to provide a massive festival of fabulous things for 285 quid. 

If they wanted to increase price purely as the demand was there, they could have done it many years ago. 

6 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Would definitely say the Sunday Pyramid lineup is much better this year quality-wise. I know Sheeran and Clyro are clearly more popular than Kendrick and Lorde but would much rather watch the latter pairing. Also loved the WH Saturday lineup in 2017, The Jacksons was a great booking for a Saturday night.

Agree otherwise though. 

Sure, there's taste as well to throw in, but from the numbers side (years in the game, no. of hits/discography, no. of concerts under their belts, previous festivals headlined/subbed, plays on the radio over the years) 2017 was the most stacked I've ever seen it. 2022 looks like the best of a bad situation, like I said, the music is almost secondary this year compared to the reopening.

The Jacksons were awesome, so happy I chose them over the Foos! 

52 minutes ago, august1 said:

Less than 100 at Stone circle midnight yesterday, never used to be able to move up there. The crowd has shifted to the main areas, the general crowd spread is way off

Yeah the atmosphere at the stone circle has definitely waned somewhat, there are less people there now and its not got the same buzz, which is kinda sad! 

On 6/23/2022 at 10:25 PM, Jack.194 said:

I’m sat at home waiting to get to the festival, one more day at school teaching tomorrow and I’m off!

Sitting here, along with a quick look at the FOMO thread, got me thinking about how the festival might change in the future re: tickets. The obvious given is that tickets will get more expensive, but what about demand? As a general rule demand for tickets has risen each year as the festival has sold out quicker and quicker - will this continue? Or will demand plateau and decrease?

Whilst BBC make it like a national holiday.. people will always keep on coming.

But beyond that, West Campervan, the Farmer that owns that land. Wanted to make more money. So it became stickylinch. A sterile, bell tent area, than instead of me and you paying 125 for our van. People pay 1000 for one. And they have filled the field.

Eavis can't say anything, at all.

That should tell you all about Glastonbury and what it future holds.

9 hours ago, august1 said:

Less than 100 at Stone circle midnight yesterday, never used to be able to move up there. The crowd has shifted to the main areas, the general crowd spread is way off

Yep, just another sign of waning interest in the ethos. Last time I went, the healing fields/green future/croissant neuf areas were almost empty every day.