LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

3 minutes ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

It’s great that Pilton Palais is there for those who want it, but never been. With so much live music on I’d rather watch any band than even a great movie at Glastonbury. 

Same here, never been, never understood it.

But...if they're showing the new Miles Morales Spiderman, then I think we might be there...

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

2 minutes ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

It’s great that Pilton Palais is there for those who want it, but never been. With so much live music on I’d rather watch any band than even a great movie at Glastonbury. 

can be a very handy place to stop off for a snooze... obviously not if its something with a massive queue to get in but plenty of times i've stumbled past and something is showing thats pretty empty so gone for chill in there...

23 minutes ago, Pazzler said:

Such a great band live, everyone leaves with a smile!

Spitfire/War Room EP tour was the first time I caught them at The Fleece, Bristol.
Then their first Glastonbury at William's Green (RIP) 
Also lucky enough to meet them at Fopp Records for a tiny gig to promote Race for Space.
They told me how emotional the William's Green gig was for them, the crowd spilled out of the tent. 

Colston Hall, West Holts & O2 Academy too. Apologies for the self indulgence! 
I did however miss the The Glade gig, odd as Glade & William's Green have always been my fav stages.

Williams Green was a great gig! We got a wave from John at the end but by this point they were getting too famous/ busy for a beer afterwards 🤣

51 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Not saying Proj were bad.  But there were people walking away from the Blur set moved to tears.  Mates of mine who were there still talk about it to this day.  I suspect mainly to rub it in.  Yes - they are cnuts.

I chose Blur with 1 friend. Everyone else chose Prodigy. No regrets.

5 minutes ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

Last year, I was definitely feeling a bit out-of-sorts with the festival and so ducked into Pilton Palais for 30mins, felt much better after a bit of movie watching, got my head back together. Strummerville is the same - nice little spot to just sit down and reset. 

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

if i recall they often show new releases ? 

Yes they do, but usually the best ones are on at the worst clashes of course... we'll see. But I can definitely see that being a brilliant chill out time

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

14 minutes ago, ilovelanegan said:

I chose Blur with 1 friend. Everyone else chose Prodigy. No regrets.

i had Hyde park ticket for Blur the week after so I did High Contrast, London Electricity and Logistics Drum n bass instead. I was gutted to miss Blur having heard the reaction but I did go to the drum n bass with mates of mates I'd only met that weekend and been close mates with them ever since so defintely worth missing Blur for. I finally made up for it by seeing them in Colchester last Friday   

30 minutes ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

I went to the Tilda Swinton Q&A for Orlando last year. Was very good!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

I went to the Tilda Swinton Q&A for Orlando last year. Was very good!

I was there too 🙂 Was great. I love the Palais. Late night cult movies on Wednesday and Thursday have become a big part of my festival. They are always packed full of the liveliest crowds and are always a good time. I love it! 

My friends and I poked our heads into Pilton Palais back in 2010 to take a look. I think it was Moon showing. We sat down, watched ten minutes, and left. Never been back. Why spend a couple of hours doing something I could just be doing at home? Got absolutely no idea why they thought they needed to build a second cinema onsite a few years later. Obv the latter has now been removed, but still, a bit of a misstep from Glasto.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

This

Never understood why people spend time watching films at Glastonbury.

Because some people love cinema, and it is historically an inherently communal experience! So, for people who love both Glastonbury and film, I can see it as a huge attraction.

Not for me, but I'm not cultured enough to appreciate cinema in the same was as, say, my Child 3. He'd be all over that.

Ben 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Same here, never been, never understood it.

But...if they're showing the new Miles Morales Spiderman, then I think we might be there...

It came into its own for me last year when it played Oxide Ghosts, something that’s rare to see at the best of times, playing Thursday night at the best of all places! 

9 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It came into its own for me last year when it played Oxide Ghosts, something that’s rare to see at the best of times, playing Thursday night at the best of all places! 

That was excellent wasn't it. Really good Q&A with the director too.

18 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

My friends and I poked our heads into Pilton Palais back in 2010 to take a look. I think it was Moon showing. We sat down, watched ten minutes, and left. Never been back. Why spend a couple of hours doing something I could just be doing at home? Got absolutely no idea why they thought they needed to build a second cinema onsite a few years later. Obv the latter has now been removed, but still, a bit of a misstep from Glasto.

It can be a great time in the Palais. I cannot share the communal experience at home that I got last year watching Tilda Swinton in person, introducing and answering questions for a special showing of Orlando or with a packed crowd watching Michael Cummings do a live Q&A before a showing of Oxide Ghosts: The Brass Eye Tapes. These are unique festival experiences. This may not be anything you or some other people are interested in. But as is so often said on eFestivals, Glastonbury has something for everyone. And long may that continue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Matador said:

I imagine it's also relatively cheap to run so there wouldn't be much of a cost saving if they got rid of it. 

(You ) look all round the site people say this and that isn’t worth doing (pier and cinemacarmageddon) being prime examples however they are different and that’s what Glastonbury does very well in my opinion . If it were all just late night activities without the added extras it just wouldn’t be the same . Imagine Glastonbury without the painted bins for example they don’t need to do it but it absolutely helps the magic of the place 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, sime said:

It can be a great time in the Palais. I cannot share the communal experience at home that I got last year watching Tilda Swinton in person, introducing and answering questions for a special showing of Orlando or with a packed crowd watching Michael Cummings do a live Q&A before a showing of Oxide Ghosts: The Brass Eye Tapes. These are unique festival experiences. This may not be anything you or some other people are interested in. But as is so often said on eFestivals, Glastonbury has something for everyone. And long may that continue.

I can understand the draw of seeing real life celebs actors/writers/producers talk about their work, but my understanding is that that doesn't actually happen very much. From last year, think there were 4 intros from 28 films - of those four, only 2 were well-known. There certainly wasn't any Sam Rockwell presenting Moon when I went - if there was, I might have been there from the start, I suppose, because in general I am a massive TV and film fan, but the idea of just seeing a film on its own without any celebrity intro, I'm not really a fan of.

Whereas I'll happily go to the T&C for a chill and watch some brilliant live shows, sitting in a tent watching a film I've probably seen before or could whack on my projector at home doesn't seem as interesting. I mean, last year they had the Greatest Showman on - already 5 years released by that time. Meanwhile, the greatest festival in the world was actually going on outside.

And I know PP is part of Glastonbury and people are welcome to go and watch etc, but if for example they had a video game tent as well in Silver Hayes or something, I wouldn't go there either to play Zelda for 3 hours. I'm sure some people would though.

Just personal preference.

EDIT - just before anyone misinterprets my post, I'm just expressing my preference, not saying PP shouldn't exist etc.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Pilton Palais today 

Banner-2023.png.ce21886ee9a6debae63087d03accac2f.png

They've uploaded all the thumbnails for the films - looks like they were added to the 2022 Synopsis post by mistake (maybe as a draft).

Withnail and I
Wham
Wham Singalong
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse Of The Were Rabbit
The Wicker Man
The Super Mario Bros Movie
The Fence
The Body Guard
Ruby Gillman Teenage Kraken
Renfield
Puss In Boots The Last Wish
Oh Jeremy Corbyn The Big Lie