LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

2 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

I wonder if Emily knows her words in interviews are picked apart to such an insane extent and is incredibly meticulous with what she says (even so much as to f**k with us purposefully) or if she’s incredibly casual about it and her saying ‘full lineup in the new year’ was just an off the cuff comment that didn’t mean much at all.

she does , she mentioned it recently 

1 minute ago, FloopFiller said:

I wonder if Emily knows her words in interviews are picked apart to such an insane extent and is incredibly meticulous with what she says (even so much as to f**k with us purposefully) or if she’s incredibly casual about it and her saying ‘full lineup in the new year’ was just an off the cuff comment that didn’t mean much at all.

My assumption is that she knows (how could she not), but if she tried to carefully parse everything she said with that in mind it'd drive her absolutely insane. So she just talks normally.

6 minutes ago, incident said:

It'd be great.

It'd be worth it just for the the meltdown from all the entitled types on here and social media.

Aside from that, until much more recently (late 00s/early 10s) even a "full" announcement on the festival website didn't include a lot of the smaller stages, and part of the fun of arrival day was settling down at camp and scouring the programme for any hidden gems. I do think that they've taken away some of the excitement by putting everything online a month ahead, and it'd be great to have something like that again.

It's a lot to ask people to drop £300 on a festival with no lineup at all though.

1 minute ago, FloopFiller said:

As much as she's our best source of information I think people take her word for gospel too much and if you go against it you're wrong because Emily said. Things and plans change and something she said months ago (maybe off the cuff) probably aren't going to be bang on. Good to go off what she says for general dates but usually just take it with a pinch of salt.

Same with the two female headliners comment. How long ago was that? Who knows what could change in the meantime.

Just now, Leyrulion said:

It's a lot to ask people to drop £300 on a festival with no lineup at all though.

As far as I'm concerned, we've all already done that, and plenty more would if they could.

I don't have any patience whatsoever for anyone who uses the deposit system as a "just in case" reservation with the intention of deciding later.

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I think the scramble for tickets would be exactly the same if they said in October that there would no lineup announcement until you walked through the gates

This is true

It really doesn't matter who is on the line, it's impossible for every stage and venue to f**k up so bad that there isn't something for everyone.

The festival will always be over subscribed and sell out within an hour (max)

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

This is true

It really doesn't matter who is on the line, it's impossible for every stage and venue to f**k up so bad that there isn't something for everyone.

The festival will always be over subscribed and sell out within an hour (max)

As it stands, it's an incredibly strong position for the festival to be in. Can't think of any other similarly-sized events that could get the punter to commit to spending £350 without knowing exactly who is playing. Maybe Tomorrowland, in Belgium.

With Glastonbury, you're buying the overall experience rather than the individual performances.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

For Glastonbury, 100%. Anywhere else and I want to know what (who) I'm paying for.

Glastonbury is the only big festival I go to (went to Leeds once for work, it was shockingly bad).

Although I don't pay for any festivals, I would pay for Shambala without knowing who is on. Beautiful Days - I'd need to know the line up first.

28 minutes ago, incident said:

It'd be great.

It'd be worth it just for the the meltdown from all the entitled types on here and social media.

Aside from that, until much more recently (late 00s/early 10s) even a "full" announcement on the festival website didn't include a lot of the smaller stages, and part of the fun of arrival day was settling down at camp and scouring the programme for any hidden gems. I do think that they've taken away some of the excitement by putting everything online a month ahead, and it'd be great to have something like that again.

I enjoy spending the months before the festival discovering new acts from the lineup so will never be on board with this.

However, I do think you could solve a lot of the Thursday bottleneck problems if you published zero information about what was happening for that entire day and you just let everyone explore the site and stumble onto stuff that's happening.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

What's the latest we've gone with nothing?

In more recent years, 2011 was 11th Feb. Going back further,  2007 was 17th Feb then you get the mad yesrs like 2002 when it was in The Guardian on 19th June. 

Although people say you didn't know who was on until you walked in in the 90s, they used to put line-up posters in the music press in April/May like the ones below. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

nothings untouchable despite its strong position Glastonbury should keep with its  winning formula 

Exactly. Downgrading the Pyramid Headliners to the Wolf Alice / Idles / Hot Chip sort of level as some folk seem to want would quickly hole it below the waterline.

I don't think wanting to know what you're getting for your £365 in being entitled. 

Personally I like to have had a chance to check out new acts before getting there. I've discovered loads of stuff before going that led me to see an act I would otherwise probably have not bothered with.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Exactly. Downgrading the Pyramid Headliners to the Wolf Alice / Idles / Hot Chip sort of level as some folk seem to want would quickly hole it below the waterline.

I guess I fit more the picnic blanket demographic as I dont have the hardcore music knowledge of many that frequent these forums but what I like is that I can see the massive acts and get my moneys worth but fill some gaps with smaller ones . The festival does well because those Picnic blanket types will be quite a large amount of the ticket sales , the announcements are all well planned to keep up the interest throughout the year . Doesn't take too much to dent that interest 

50 minutes ago, incident said:

and part of the fun of arrival day was settling down at camp and scouring the programme for any hidden gems.

The problem with this IMO is I've discovered great stuff by listening through playlists pre-festival that I never would've found just by looking through the programme.

• Upvote 3

I’d love to know what’s behind their thinking as to when they make any announcements. So, there’s no pattern but there must be some planning, or do they just sit at the breakfast table one day and say let’s do it!? Some announcements are driven by other considerations (tour announcements etc) but much is within their control. I presume they deliberately build anticipation. 

3 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I’d love to know what’s behind their thinking as to when they make any announcements. So, there’s no pattern but there must be some planning, or do they just sit at the breakfast table one day and say let’s do it!? Some announcements are driven by other considerations (tour announcements etc) but much is within their control. I presume they deliberately build anticipation. 

I think tour announcements is the big one.

I can't see us getting anything until Dua Lipa & Stevie Wonder's other dates are on sale.