LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

1 hour ago, FloopFiller said:

I wonder if Emily knows her words in interviews are picked apart to such an insane extent and is incredibly meticulous with what she says (even so much as to f**k with us purposefully) or if she’s incredibly casual about it and her saying ‘full lineup in the new year’ was just an off the cuff comment that didn’t mean much at all.

Emily may lurk amongst us.

Even if she doesn’t check efests every morning, her team will read here, Glastochat, twitter and insta comments on the daily. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Exactly. Downgrading the Pyramid Headliners to the Wolf Alice / Idles / Hot Chip sort of level as some folk seem to want would quickly hole it below the waterline.

I love Hot Chip but no one has suggested they headline surely? 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

nothings untouchable despite its strong position Glastonbury should keep with its  winning formula 

...while still pushing the envelope of creativity and staying relevant to changing trends and demographic.

They're by no means a complacent organisation though, so that shouldn't be a worry. For every Carhenge 2.0, there's a Levels

At all the many Glastonbury’s I’ve attended I’ve never once been disappointed with  the line ups despite not knowing them until a few months before the green gates open. In fact the only disappointment is the clashes that inevitably happen.  This year will be no different. Any other festival I’ve waited until the line ups appear before buying tickets. Far too much attention is paid to the headliners but then I suppose that’s what attracts publicity and the tv audience.

Just now, On The Blend said:

I feel like you are wilfully ignoring the existence of multiple stages. Why would you possibly put Kae on the largest stage when they could simply headline a smaller stage?

It was slightly tongue in check

2 hours ago, incident said:

It'd be great.

It'd be worth it just for the the meltdown from all the entitled types on here and social media.

Aside from that, until much more recently (late 00s/early 10s) even a "full" announcement on the festival website didn't include a lot of the smaller stages, and part of the fun of arrival day was settling down at camp and scouring the programme for any hidden gems. I do think that they've taken away some of the excitement by putting everything online a month ahead, and it'd be great to have something like that again.

I actually think it would be detrimental to the smaller acts if they attempted the no line up before the festival. So many of us listen to playlists that whilst I appreciate streaming pays poorly it does still pay.

I don't have any entitlement about it and would still go if they didn't announce a line up but I know each year I would miss out on even more than I already do if I didn't do my playlist research. I also know some people like to wander around and just see what grabs their attention but I don't like to do that. I am a flexible planner. I don't have a schedule but I do mark things that I know I definitely didn't like and things I definitely did. I usually have 6 or 7 way clashes most of the day so I am flexible about which ones I see based on weather/energy/wanting food etc. I wouldn't have that many clashes without listening to as much as I do.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I think the scramble for tickets would be exactly the same if they said in October that there would no lineup announcement until you walked through the gates

My question would be… how much harder would it be to book bands (for a fraction of their usual fee) if they did that. The marketing benefit to bands (especially on the non televised stages) is people listening to them in the build up and seeing if they like. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I’d just like to say I think she’s amazing! (ps any tickets going?)

Imagine if she just sent you a pm and said ‘sure, here’s two tickets’ 😂

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

My question would be… how much harder would it be to book bands (for a fraction of their usual fee) if they did that. The marketing benefit to bands (especially on the non televised stages) is people listening to them in the build up and seeing if they like. 

Always enjoy when the full line up drops, especially the smaller stages, and I can check out bands and artists that I’m not aware of.  Usually find a few gems that way. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Always enjoy when the full line up drops, especially the smaller stages, and I can check out bands and artists that I’m not aware of.  Usually find a few gems that way. 

Me too. It’s my annual reminder I’m getting older and I’m not as cutting edge as I used to be 😂

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Absolutely the same here (at least when I get tickets!) 

6 hours ago, mouserat said:

I enjoy spending the months before the festival discovering new acts from the lineup so will never be on board with this.

However, I do think you could solve a lot of the Thursday bottleneck problems if you published zero information about what was happening for that entire day and you just let everyone explore the site and stumble onto stuff that's happening.

Could have the opposite effect on Thursday, even more people gravitate to the one stage they know has something on and don't look to explore elsewhere because they do t know if they'll like it!

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Looking at it from the opposite angle, what's the actual benefit of keeping the lineup under wraps? 

If folk like surprises that much they can still opt to keep spoiler free until they're on the farm.

I think the benefit to the festival is less hassle from trying to coordinate multiple one artist announcements with the press, agents and then placating the other artists that don't get a press release (popstars have fragile egos).