LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

tbf, I think all festival lineups this year, in the UK and abroad, are terrible, and whilst glasto is worse than usual, it's probably better than anywhere else (all subjective of course). Just not a vintage year for festivals this year.

All you really need is about 2 or 3 acts each day you really wanna see each day to have a cracking old time each day. So in conclusion I'll be having a cracking old time each day.

• Like 4

I was thinking about the line-up today and realised that there a quite a few artists with albums out this year or last year who you might expect to turn up at Glastonbury, but aren’t. The likes of Beth Gibbons, Villagers, Nadine Shah, Elbow, Paul Weller, Vampire Weekend, The Smile, The Waeve etc and there are probably loads more I can’t think of right now. Having seen Nadine Shah’s post on X/Twitter maybe explains why some might not be there, but it seems odd that there are so many artists with new records out and touring but not on the farm…especially when there are, or seem to be, so many acts on the lineup with no new music Keane, Zutons etc etc

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, km9 said:

Certainly not arguing against you, this is so far staying as a nice healthy debate, but how many times have we heard the flip side to this, which is "I can't pay the mortgage with TV exposure/marketing/ insert other non-cash incentive"?

In this specific situation it’s not only free exposure and marketing that comes with the televised set. 

Both BBC 1 and iPlayer generate royalties for songwriters whose songs are performed so there is a direct financial benefit to being offered a televised set vs a non televised set.

Doesn’t necessarily cover all costs related to a live performance but the direct & indirect revenue stemming from the broadcast can definitely help! 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Physical_graffiti said:

tbf, I think all festival lineups this year, in the UK and abroad, are terrible (...)

What about Open'er Festival in Poland?

Dua, Foo Fighters, Hozier, Kiwanuka, Doja Cat, Air, Sam Smith, Tom Morello, Maneskin, 21 Savage, Charlie XCX, Disclosure, Ice Spice, Masego, Tyla, Claptone, Skrillex and more...

Not that bad at all

17 hours ago, Drew3232 said:

I do wonder why so much of the ticket price is reserved for charity though. All for supporting good causes but it seem to mean an awful lot of compromises.

A lot of the charity donations are  for services provided. Oxfam, Wateraid, Greenpeace volunteers all perform essential functions at the festival for example. If they weren’t making those donations they’d be paying private companies for the same thing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, rwhitehouse13 said:

I was thinking about the line-up today and realised that there a quite a few artists with albums out this year or last year who you might expect to turn up at Glastonbury, but aren’t. The likes of Beth Gibbons, Villagers, Nadine Shah, Elbow, Paul Weller, Vampire Weekend, The Smile, The Waeve etc and there are probably loads more I can’t think of right now. Having seen Nadine Shah’s post on X/Twitter maybe explains why some might not be there, but it seems odd that there are so many artists with new records out and touring but not on the farm…especially when there are, or seem to be, so many acts on the lineup with no new music Keane, Zutons etc etc

Yeah the zutons haven't had anything out in other a month, diabolical 

Screenshot_20240606-105612.png

On 6/5/2024 at 8:11 AM, km9 said:

Possibly, possibly not. My question was around the statement that she would only play on a televised stage. Is it right that an artist only sees it as acceptable to be given a slot which gives them TV exposure? Do they think that other lesser artists should do the non TV work while they get only TV work?

I think that's up to those other acts to decide. But one big difference will be how acts are set up to play live. When you're starting out, an up-and-comer, you generally manage your own stuff, maybe have one or two people helping out on the road, it's much easier to just go do a show, and it's not going to cost you much.

Once you get a bit bigger, there's the need for a lot more production, a much bigger crew, much more gear and so on. Which is a bigger expense. And yes, in theory you could turn up with just the instruments and the band like you did ten years ago, and just play the songs, but people would be disappointed. They wouldn't be getting the "show" they expected.

I think this is especially prevalent these days as expectations are very much for gigs to be "shows" in a way they just were not ten years ago unless you were Muse. 

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

I think that's up to those other acts to decide. But one big difference will be how acts are set up to play live. When you're starting out, an up-and-comer, you generally manage your own stuff, maybe have one or two people helping out on the road, it's much easier to just go do a show, and it's not going to cost you much.

Once you get a bit bigger, there's the need for a lot more production, a much bigger crew, much more gear and so on. Which is a bigger expense. And yes, in theory you could turn up with just the instruments and the band like you did ten years ago, and just play the songs, but people would be disappointed. They wouldn't be getting the "show" they expected.

I think this is especially prevalent these days as expectations are very much for gigs to be "shows" in a way they just were not ten years ago unless you were Muse. 

Really good point. With the way that people are quick to jump on the Internet and slate someone, bigger acts are probably very wary of delivering a set which isn't their usual standard.

4 hours ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

One thing I've just clocked from the full line-up... Willie J Healey and Liz Lawrence on Greenpeace on Saturday afternoon. There will bells on.

Loved that new WJH album, and Liz Lawrence's latest singles have been great.

Definitely a pleasant surprise to see Liz Lawrence show up. I haven't checked out Willie J Healey, but that will be my next listen. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 9:04 AM, kugglaw said:

At any rate, all workers are entitled to withhold their labour if the terms don’t suit them. Probably has more to do with all that than thinking other artists *don’t* deserve a televised performance.

true but i wouldn't take to social media saying that i turned down a glastonbury gig because it wasn't high-profile enough.

then again, i can't imagine turning down a glastonbury gig for any reason.

2 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Would like to know what's on Rimski's Yard, just out of interest.  Loved that place last year - a little oasis of eccentricity in a world of other eccentricity and bizarreness!

Snap

Also waiting eagerly on Ridge and Furrow and rest of Bimble Inn (a few more added today but not yet on clashfinder)

4 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Would like to know what's on Rimski's Yard, just out of interest.  Loved that place last year - a little oasis of eccentricity in a world of other eccentricity and bizarreness!

Yes it’s crazy great, just don’t get drawn into the madness like I was last year, ended up making a bit of a fool of myself. Mrs C reckoned it was almost as embarrassing as my attempts at Glasto Latino. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes it’s crazy great, just don’t get drawn into the madness like I was last year, ended up making a bit of a fool of myself. Mrs C reckoned it was almost as embarrassing as my attempts at Glasto Latino. 

Ha ha! What did you do?