LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

9 minutes ago, northernangel said:

I thought 2022 was well over rated personally. 

Many will find it the weakest.

Nope, just an extention I think. I still expect today as there has always been a gap. 

2022 was the only year I had ever been. To be honest, I thought it was a weak lineup then, too. But thinking back, there were loads of great acts - not just counting the big names either - there were up and comers like Nilufer Yanya and Dry Cleaning, and weirder American artists like Turnstile and Yves Tumour. 

Looking through this line up it’s a lot of same Radio 6 stuff, mainstream acts I’ve never been bothered with (what *are*London Grammar?) and a sh*t load of DJs I’ll need to be on drugs to enjoy.

Still going to have an amazing time though, but sorely regret not going last year. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I think people should mentally prepare for this very scenario.  I'm only excited by the full line-up so I can start plotting where the clashes are rather than expecting any new big names. 

Thats literally all today is for me, ticking off who is free, who I'd prefer to see clash wise over the other so it tells me more so who I might need to catch at another event and which one is worth it to go etc.

10 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

2022 was the only year I had ever been. To be honest, I thought it was a weak lineup then, too. But thinking back, there were loads of great acts - not just counting the big names either - there were up and comers like Nilufer Yanya and Dry Cleaning, and weirder American artists like Turnstile and Yves Tumour. 

Looking through this line up it’s a lot of same Radio 6 stuff, mainstream acts I’ve never been bothered with (what *are*London Grammar?) and a sh*t load of DJs I’ll need to be on drugs to enjoy.

Still going to have an amazing time though, but sorely regret not going last year. 

I don't really like radio 6 so much of that isn't of interest anyway. 2022 will always remind of the year the year that taking Macca and some some extent Olivia Rodrigo out made a huge difference in the lineup. I genuinely probably had 10-12 acts of interest overall and some would clash. 6 of those were the top two stages but Other for me was awful that year. JP Friday was the one but it was more stuff of, why not I'm free kinda thing. Jack White was a secret Park guest but I don't include secret acts as you don't see them as an act on the lineup....cant deny I did think his tour dates lined up.

• Like 1

Just now, Justcalledtosay said:

Personally thought 2022 was fantastic especially in comparison to this year. There are periods of the line up (expected) this year where i'm really not fussed. That was never the case from start to finish in 2022.

Horses for courses isn't it. I actually think I'd pick a lot of this year over 2022. In fact, if Olivia wasn't playing I really wood as I saw Macca on his own tour with Dave Grohl coming out and that was the big pull for 2022.

1 minute ago, Greased-Up Deaf Guy said:

https://x.com/BabylonUprising/status/1796104393030258887?t=b9rp7OEeKMRTNdEO7PWr8A&s=19

Babylon Uprising

2 in 2 hours says they're squeezing them in before the full drop at 12pm! 

Maybe

Yeah I mean if they were planning to not release until tomorrow then there could have easily been space between them.

2 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Personally thought 2022 was fantastic especially in comparison to this year. There are periods of the line up (expected) this year where i'm really not fussed. That was never the case from start to finish in 2022.

Meanwhile for me I didn't like 2022 at all really, but (having spent a fair bit of time looking through that acts, already have filled my time + clashes this year) 

Reckon over 190K people or whatever it is, then generally you'd get a fairly even number who liked one over another. It's jsut a lucky dip if enough of your fave bands come up one year over another innit 

2 minutes ago, august1 said:

he's on a long haul flight today 

Tell Emily to put it all off to tommorow then. What's the point if I can't see a clashfinder in all it's glory... 

On another note, I have a meeting at 11am - so it'll drop for you all then 

Quick listen to a few tracks from everyone on the BBC Introducing lineup and I've added another 13 to the list of "yeah I'd be happy enough to see them".

Thankfully don't have that many must-sees so clashes won't be too devastating, and the fact that there are almost 60 acts I'd be happy to see has me buzzing for a festival like never before. Horses for courses indeed but funny to me how negative the reaction was to the initial lineup drop. I quite liked the lineup then, but it's better than I could have ever imagined now.

Edited by GordonMcG

18 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Horses for courses isn't it. I actually think I'd pick a lot of this year over 2022. In fact, if Olivia wasn't playing I really wood as I saw Macca on his own tour with Dave Grohl coming out and that was the big pull for 2022.

You can't knock the line up because you went and saw other acts that year on said line up 😁

1 hour ago, kugglaw said:

yeah i agree with your assessment of the lineup. there are more and more crap nostalgic early noughties acts on the lineup too. like 'legends on the cheap' which I'm not keen on

21 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Meanwhile for me I didn't like 2022 at all really, but (having spent a fair bit of time looking through that acts, already have filled my time + clashes this year) 

Reckon over 190K people or whatever it is, then generally you'd get a fairly even number who liked one over another. It's jsut a lucky dip if enough of your fave bands come up one year over another innit 

Yeah, I think it's maybe a bit of lucky dip and genuine issues with programming a festival in 2024. My hunch is that Glastonbury's budget can no longer stretch far enough to compete with some of the smaller, but deeper pocketed, festivals in the UK and Europe. 

There's loads of brilliant artists from around the world on tour in the UK this summer. Few of them are playing Glasto. Part of me thinks the reason artists like Keane, Avril Lavigne and James are playing is either because they're cheap or can afford to take the hit.

All my dance music loving pals tell me the dance-adjacent lineups are pretty great - I reckon that's because solo DJs are cheaper to book than live acts. 

ANYWAY, its going to be a f**king laugh, regardless. 

To everyone complaining about the lineup - fancy trading being 8 and a half months pregnant with me for a week so I can go?

No? Thought not 

It'll be a blast! (And I genuinely don't think the line up is that bad)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nuthugger said:

yeah i agree with your assessment of the lineup. there are more and more crap nostalgic early noughties acts on the lineup too. like 'legends on the cheap' which I'm not keen on

Yeah, this is a massive bug bear for me. 

1 minute ago, Sasperella2 said:

To everyone complaining about the lineup - fancy trading being 8 and a half months pregnant with me for a week so I can go?

No? Thought not 

It'll be a blast! (And I genuinely don't think the line up is that bad)

Congratulations! My partner is also missing Glasto as she's several months up the duff.

Best of luck with everything and I hope you get to go next year!