LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

10 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Part of me wondered - and assume somebody debated while I was away - what would happen if SZA sacked it off. My mate was convinced they'd bump The National from Other to top.

As enjoyable as that would have been... pipe dream.

I just don’t see it, but then I don’t see SZA as a headliner either so who knows. I also expect they really want it be be a woman but I then have no idea who you get/are promoting 

I think I’ve made the decision to do Justice over the National despite them being one of my favourite bands, 2017 was fantastic and I think I’d rather finish it on a more upbeat note (plus I’ve seen the National about 10 times and will most likely many more times as long as they keep going)

3 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

In terms of overall popularity and broad appeal to a UK audience, I'm struggling to think of a weaker headline booking in the years I've attended.  Of our group of 20-odd people, I think only 2 are actually planning on seeing her and 15+ had never even heard of her before she was announced, including me.  VERY much in line with relative ages, but still, I don't ever recall it being similar with other headliners previously.

I think I will see her, because I'm a sucker for a Pyramid slot. But... it definitely seems to be an anti-climax for a lot of folk.

2 minutes ago, Barneym said:

I think I’ve made the decision to do Justice over the National despite them being one of my favourite bands, 2017 was fantastic and I think I’d rather finish it on a more upbeat note (plus I’ve seen the National about 10 times and will most likely many more times as long as they keep going)

I'll shift to either of these if SZA doesn't hook me in the first twenty. A gamble, but we'll see.

37 minutes ago, northernangel said:

It's very much a efests Forum thing. My other friends don't even use this website or rarely know about it.

I was going to say, I bet the average attendee just turns up and are unaware of the times coming out in advance 😅 they probably have hobbies and friends and stuff! Pah!

2 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

I was going to say, I bet the average attendee just turns up and are unaware of the times coming out in advance 😅 they probably have hobbies and friends and stuff! Pah!

Yes I saw someone excited on Facebook saying Lulu had self confirmed the other day clearly completely oblivious to the fact that she's been on the Avalon poster for over a month.

5 minutes ago, Deviceing said:

If Metallica can have a run of headlining 2 nights of festivals I see no reason why Coldplay can't also?

Metallica have bloody loads of albums, and some of them (all before 1991, obvs) are the most seminal of an entire genre of music. They've sold absolutely blimmin millions of records. tens of millions. hundreds of millions. They've headlined festivals in every corner of this flat earth. 

Coldplay, while admittedly not being my cup of tea, havnt sold perhaps even a quarter of Metallica's output, and most importantly don't have absolutely indispensible everyone-in-the-world should know bangers. They've got the one about everything being yellow, they've got the one about parrot dice, and the one with the jerusalem bells a ringing, and then some other bits. Yeah they headline festivals too, and they sell out stadiums, but they just dont have the back catalogue and the cross generational appeal that Metallica had, and continue to have. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deviceing said:

If Metallica can have a run of headlining 2 nights of festivals I see no reason why Coldplay can't also?

Has Metallica (or indeed anyone) ever done that outside of a niche-genre festival? That's why.

13 minutes ago, Deviceing said:

It was a 4 day festival, no? 

26 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I think I will see her, because I'm a sucker for a Pyramid slot. But... it definitely seems to be an anti-climax for a lot of folk.

I'll shift to either of these if SZA doesn't hook me in the first twenty. A gamble, but we'll see.

You'll struggle to get through the WH bottleneck I reckon. National it is 😍

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Metallica have bloody loads of albums, and some of them (all before 1991, obvs) are the most seminal of an entire genre of music. They've sold absolutely blimmin millions of records. tens of millions. hundreds of millions. They've headlined festivals in every corner of this flat earth. 

Coldplay, while admittedly not being my cup of tea, havnt sold perhaps even a quarter of Metallica's output, and most importantly don't have absolutely indispensible everyone-in-the-world should know bangers. They've got the one about everything being yellow, they've got the one about parrot dice, and the one with the jerusalem bells a ringing, and then some other bits. Yeah they headline festivals too, and they sell out stadiums, but they just dont have the back catalogue and the cross generational appeal that Metallica had, and continue to have. 

a quick google says 100million for Coldplay and 125million for Metallica, so its closer than you think.

• Upvote 2

Just now, paulshane said:

a quick google says 100million for Coldplay and 125million for Metallica, so its closer than you think.

Jeez, a hundred million for Coldplay! that astonishes me. Fair play! I know record sales are only one metric these days, streams are a bit of an indicator too - and that is dependent on demographics and all those sorts of things - i just dont think Metallica are in the same wheelhouse as Coldplay, even ignoring my personal opinion on their music. I cant see almost any other artist being asked to headline two nights at a festival and being able to do so quite easily. Their current tour is set up to do two nights at each venue with completely different setlists, they're already doing it themselves all over the shop.

I could easily see Coldplay headlining two nights at a stadium but they absolutely will not be able to do so with two separate non-repeating setlists.

(for clarity - i can envisage it, i certainly wouldnt be seeing it 😄)

42 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

In terms of overall popularity and broad appeal to a UK audience, I'm struggling to think of a weaker headline booking in the years I've attended.  Of our group of 20-odd people, I think only 2 are actually planning on seeing her and 15+ had never even heard of her before she was announced, including me.  VERY much in line with relative ages, but still, I don't ever recall it being similar with other headliners previously.

Can see it being one of the poorest attended headliners of the past 20 years, especially following in Elton's footsteps who was one of the biggest attended ever.

17 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

You’re wildly underestimating the mass appeal of a lot of Coldplay songs.

• Upvote 2

A quick search suggests Metallica have sold around 125 million albums and made $1.4 billion in touring revenue vs just over 100 million albums for Coldplay and have made $1.5 billion in touring revenue . Given Metallica have a 17 year head start, Coldplay are winning that bun fight

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sack truck said:

A quick search suggests Metallica have sold around 125 million albums and made $1.4 billion in touring revenue vs just over 100 million albums for Coldplay and have made $1.5 billion in touring revenue . Given Metallica have a 17 year head start, Coldplay are winning that bun fight

It's called a batch 🤣

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, paulshane said:

I was thinking, Coldplay have been the number one selling act on the planet for a while now. Glastonbury being able to pull Coldplay in when they have absolutely no need to do it is huge. We already know they are playing Wembley next year at likely £130 standing a piece and will sell it out easily and multiple times.

45 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

As a fan of metallica, and not of Coldplay, I think you have completely misjudged the general public. Songs like viva la vida, yellow, fix you etc. are known by almost everyone in the UK, but there are huge amounts of the UK population who wouldn't be able to name a Metallica song

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, northernangel said:

I was thinking, Coldplay have been the number one selling act on the planet for a while now. Glastonbury being able to pull Coldplay in when they have absolutely no need to do it is huge. We already know they are playing Wembley next year at likely £130 standing a piece and will sell it out easily and multiple times.

I thought Taylor Swift was the biggest selling act

Personally can not stand any Coldplay song post ROBTTH but.....

That being said you can not deny they are one the biggest ever music acts at this point.  The have achieved world donination in a way very few others.  

I know that a lot of people like to put them down because they dont like them (like me) but honestly think objectively and they are a mega sized booking perhaps only a small handful of  acts around right now that could be considered a bigger booking.

As for the other 2 (who I'm also sad to confess I'm not keen on either, don't worry my list of acts to see has 100's on it so not liking headliners is no problem, no moans from Me)

Genuinely feel Dua Lipa is on the cusp of mega stardom herself I doubt anyone will question this booking 10 years from now. In fact if she is up for it may well have come back for another headline set. Definitely not just one for younger fans as I know 30-40 year olds who are mega excited for this set. 

SZA as we know promoted as a replacement act. She is massive in the states not entirely sure its completely crossed over here yet, but younger fans are gonna go wild for it.  A lot of people are saying should have got someone bigger. But in all honesty it's not as easy to go and grab a mega sized acts at a whim and sometimes promoting an act makes sense. It reminds me of all stick Stormzy got leading up to his set...  no one moaned afterwards I think people need to give it a chance before they write it off.

This has been my ted talk....

Personally wont be at any of the 3 but if you are I'm sure you will have a great time  

I find it mad that everyone has been getting het up over SZA headlining, but no one bats an eyelid at one hit wonders like James or guilty pleasure nostalgia like Avril Lavigne playing at all. You can at least make the argument that SZA is current. 

Edited by kugglaw

Just now, kugglaw said:

I find it mad that everyone has been getting het up over SZA headlining, but no one bats an eyelid at one hit wonders like James or guilty pleasure nostalgia like Avril Lavigne. You can at least make the argument that SZA is current. 

I'm not sure where the comparison is there.

James are playing early in the day on the Pyramid. Avril is playing early evening on the second stage.

I'm pretty confident that if either of them were slated to headline the whole shebang, then you'd hear plenty of rumblings about it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

I find it mad that everyone has been getting het up over SZA headlining, but no one bats an eyelid at one hit wonders like James or guilty pleasure nostalgia like Avril Lavigne. You can at least make the argument that SZA is current. 

Not sure you can call James one hit wonders - they've got a big back catalogue and they've also just hit number 1 with their most recent album

• Like 1

Just now, sjseabass said:

Also a bit harsh on James, who have plenty of popular (and better) material than Sit Down.

Yeah, they're obviously not one hit wonders by any recognisable definition. But didn't seem worth making the point when the post was so silly to start with.