LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Soccer Mommy (Woodsies, 1515h, Saturday) - let's say she's no stranger to Phoebe's music! Latest album is excellent.

Alvvays (Woodsies, 1700h, Sunday) - Torontonian, jangly guitar indie-pop of the highest order. Molly's female vocal makes them feel like a very 'female' act. One of my 2-3 top must-sees.

This Is The Kit (Park, 1630h, Friday) - very much the folk end of pop, but wonderful songwriting and excellent live musicians.

English Teacher (Left Field, 1950h, Saturday) - proper indie, female fronted and on a pretty meteoric rise. Their debut album is a belter.

Ben

Thanks for taking the time to list these so thoroughly for me! 

2 hours ago, GordonMcG said:

This is my kinda vibe (Maggie Rogers was my 2023 highlight) and I've found enough on the lineup that I like. Here's a list of the female led bands/artists I've got earmarked for 2024:

NewDad, SoccerMommy, Avril Lavigne, Blondshell, Lizzie Esau, Maya Lakhani, Daisy Veacock, Chloe Slater, Last Dinner Party (also Kenya Grace but she's not so much indie)

And the ones I'm missing due to clashes: ARXX, Pixey, mary in the junkyard, Baby Queen, Caity Baser

If that's what you're into then I think this is a really good lineup, especially a good chunk of BBC Music Introducing

Maggie Rogers 2019 was one of my favourites too- gutted I missed her last year! Thanks for these suggestions.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Helsbels said:

We spent AGES to find the Village Inn last year on the Thurdsday only to find them playing Oasis which is definitely not Kevin and Perry. Did they play old 90's trance tunes like in the movie at all as opposed to just any 90's music? Just in case we try and find it again this year. Cheers

If my cider hazed memories serve me yes 😂. It’s the white tent opposite the cider bus 

Edited by westholtschic

2 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Baby Queen in Avalon, Sunday. New discovery for me, but loving her work.

She’s absolutely fantastic live too. Unfortunately won’t be seeing her this time due to clashes but the four previous times I’ve seen her she was excellent and improved each time. 

21 minutes ago, ticketboy69 said:

No. Not at all. Maybe the festival are entitled thinking they can continue to pay artists nothing and expect them to continue to turn up. 

It's a very interesting debate. there's the massive infrastructure around a festival this size, making it safe, everything else that goes into it basically (the charity stuff too but I'm only thinking from actual festival side).  That already feeds into the ticket price and is generally a really good deal I think for what you physically get, never mind what it means to a lot of us here. I'd honestly pay a LOT more for what it gives me compared to most other things I spend money on, both things I have to and want to. 

But the artist should also get paid obviously. But then we'd have to expect the ticket price to vastly increase again. 

It'll be interesting to see where the media takes this one 

11 hours ago, shutthefrontdoor said:

Not sure if I'm alone in this, but the big area missing for me in this lineup is indie/ pop female acts. I missed last year for the first time in a long time, so my last fest was 2022, but that year we had Sigrid/Griff/Holly Humberstone/ Phoebe Bridgers etc all on Woodsies, and even Miley C on the pyramid. I can't find anything in that genre in 2024 really - I was sure Griff would be added when the wider lineup was announced along with maybe a couple of other similar names  but it hasn't materialised. I'd love to know if anyone can recommend any acts that are in that sort of genre or would appeal to fans of the above. Who have I missed? Or which smaller acts could fill that void for me?! Thanks in advance for any recommendations!!

More on the folkie side, but Grace Petrie is incredible! Acoustic stage on Sunday at 2pm. 

12 hours ago, km9 said:

Anyone else think this sounds a little bit entitled?

Not at all. This is her job. You wouldn’t do a job for a fraction of your usual fee if there were no marketing benefits would you? 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Not at all. This is her job. You wouldn’t do a job for a fraction of your usual fee if there were no marketing benefits would you? 

I wouldn't.  It's interesting that an artist has actually come out and stated it though - can't recall anyone else ever doing so - and I expect most punters (and the muggles who don't attend) don't really have a grasp of how the economics of Glasto work so they can give the £2m to charity and keep ticket prices reasonable.

I know that Edinburgh Festival has always banked on the acts being prepared to make a loss on the run for the exposure, but now the TV networks don't give a f**k about a successful Edinburgh run when looking for talent, it's starting to impact.  Many comedians, poets etc. don't bother anymore and newer acts are sticking to YouTube/Instagram and podcasting to find an audience.  Maybe there's a shift in musicians attitudes coming too.  If so, expect the ticket prices to double.

26 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Possibly, possibly not. My question was around the statement that she would only play on a televised stage. Is it right that an artist only sees it as acceptable to be given a slot which gives them TV exposure? Do they think that other lesser artists should do the non TV work while they get only TV work?

Would I volunteer my skills to help raise money for charity? Yes I do, but i wouldn't if that meant I had to pay to bring my skills (equipment, backing singers etc in her case), so happy to accept that this might not work depending on the artist's particular show 

1 hour ago, jonnyisRFC said:

More on the folkie side, but Grace Petrie is incredible! Acoustic stage on Sunday at 2pm. 

She’ll be even more unbearable and righteous than normal with an election coming up

• Downvote 1

absolutely no idea what "Kinetic" is... but could this be...

image.png.9ce212e318c5e846e2bf00b3772fb313.png

i mean, they will be in the UK, and they do have a new album to promote...

image.png.460f1af2fd5d32ac624fdc9bbc5324fd.png

(not that i care about anything they did after the classic that is From Beyond).

😀

The Primitives (ie Crash!) seem to have slipped in under the radar - 22:30 - 23:30 Toad Hall on the Friday.  Got other stuff on, but will try to catch the second half at least!

Talking of 80s... Fuzzbox had self-confirmed but aren't on the line-up!  Would have been fun if no clashes.

48 minutes ago, km9 said:

Possibly, possibly not. My question was around the statement that she would only play on a televised stage. Is it right that an artist only sees it as acceptable to be given a slot which gives them TV exposure? Do they think that other lesser artists should do the non TV work while they get only TV work?

Would I volunteer my skills to help raise money for charity? Yes I do, but i wouldn't if that meant I had to pay to bring my skills (equipment, backing singers etc in her case), so happy to accept that this might not work depending on the artist's particular show 

Musicians are really struggling in the cost of living crisis and with rising touring costs post Brexit. 

I guess the TV exposure would offset the cost of playing at what I’m guessing is a massively reduced rate? 

At any rate, all workers are entitled to withhold their labour if the terms don’t suit them. Probably has more to do with all that than thinking other artists *don’t* deserve a televised performance.

Don't think anyone would mind too much if they bung an extra £20 on the ticket. I do wonder why so much of the ticket price is reserved for charity though. All for supporting good causes but it seem to mean an awful lot of compromises.

11 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

Musicians are really struggling in the cost of living crisis and with rising touring costs post Brexit. 

I guess the TV exposure would offset the cost of playing at what I’m guessing is a massively reduced rate? 

At any rate, all workers are entitled to withhold their labour if the terms don’t suit them. Probably has more to do with all that than thinking other artists *don’t* deserve a televised performance.

Certainly not arguing against you, this is so far staying as a nice healthy debate, but how many times have we heard the flip side to this, which is "I can't pay the mortgage with TV exposure/marketing/ insert other non-cash incentive"?

13 minutes ago, km9 said:

Certainly not arguing against you, this is so far staying as a nice healthy debate, but how many times have we heard the flip side to this, which is "I can't pay the mortgage with TV exposure/marketing/ insert other non-cash incentive"?

I guess the difference here is Glastonbury exposure IS potentially huge. Eg Pyramid artists see their streams/ sales go up considerably after they're seen on the BBC.

Unlike your average smalltime chancer who just want you to take some photos/ give them a free meal / edit their wedding video etc - and who are v unlikely to get you any further paid business. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, km9 said:

I think something as big as Glastonbury would be the exception to that rule.

I imagine being beamed live and direct into every household in Britain (that cares to watch, obv) probably gets you lots of different tangible upticks that you could pay the mortgage with. 

EG. increased profile leading to more gigs, music sync (your song in an advert or film), more streams, album sales...

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Soccer Mommy (Woodsies, 1515h, Saturday) - let's say she's no stranger to Phoebe's music! Latest album is excellent.

Alvvays (Woodsies, 1700h, Sunday) - Torontonian, jangly guitar indie-pop of the highest order. Molly's female vocal makes them feel like a very 'female' act. One of my 2-3 top must-sees.

This Is The Kit (Park, 1630h, Friday) - very much the folk end of pop, but wonderful songwriting and excellent live musicians.

English Teacher (Left Field, 1950h, Saturday) - proper indie, female fronted and on a pretty meteoric rise. Their debut album is a belter.

Ben

One of my few clashes is The Go Team vs. Alvvays

Anyone else have similar and which way are you swinging

1 hour ago, Ninety9 said:

One of my few clashes is The Go Team vs. Alvvays

Anyone else have similar and which way are you swinging

I have the same clash 😥 Never seen either but I'm leaning towards Alvvays to support a newer band.