Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

17 hours ago, Superscally said:

I watched Radiohead's 97 Pyramid set last night. That. I want that.

Tough to replicate once in a generation greatness on one of the biggest stages.

I had one listen and didnt realize it was such a quick listen. And also nothin even caught my attention. Im sure its not gonna matter as much friday night Pyramid cause there will be just enough sing alongs to keep people pleased, but theyll have to have some Paul McCartney patience to get there.

Had a week of trying to get into it and I’m ready to consign it to the pile of albums I rarely go back to. For such a short album it really struggles to hold my attention. A lot of it is style over substance and quite boring in places.

I do like Body Paint, but I’ve switched off well before the end of the album.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I agree with him tbh. Actually felt at peace to see an honest review and not another 5/5 to Alex Turner for being Alex Turner. 

It's fine for you (and Fantano) to not enjoy the album, but why is it an "honest" review when you agree with it? 

This is their highest rated album on Metacritic. It can't be purely down to sycophancy. 

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Had a week of trying to get into it and I’m ready to consign it to the pile of albums I rarely go back to. For such a short album it really struggles to hold my attention. A lot of it is style over substance and quite boring in places.

I do like Body Paint, but I’ve switched off well before the end of the album.

Hello You and Perfect Sense (3rd last and last) are fantastic songs.

3 hours ago, castlecaryquery said:

It's fine for you (and Fantano) to not enjoy the album, but why is it an "honest" review when you agree with it? 

This is their highest rated album on Metacritic. It can't be purely down to sycophancy. 

Because anything that doesn’t fall in line with Matt’s opinions are by their very nature fake news. Which can be seen in almost any post he makes on this site. 

4 hours ago, castlecaryquery said:

I think a lot of the media outlets give glowing reviews to anything they do. NME especially. 

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

NME especially. 

You're right about this tbh. NME would praise anything they did.

FWIW I am a big Monkeys fan and it doesn't deserve 5/5 imo, that said my favourite thing about the band is how they switch up their sound for each record. I am confident that future albums will continue this and they could easily do something commercial sounding like AM again.

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

FWIW I am a big Monkeys fan and it doesn't deserve 5/5 imo, that said my favourite thing about the band is how they switch up their sound for each record. I am confident that future albums will continue this and they could easily do something commercial sounding like AM again.

Does anyone actually care what the NME thinks anymore?

Carries about as much weight these days as me whispering a review into the ear of a dead tramp.

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah Alex said in that interview that he went in to this album thinking they were gonna make a rock record but it just didn’t go that way so you’ve gotta believe they’ll go back to that sound again or at least a more traditional sound. I think the new album is good but I really can’t see it being a sound they can stick with for much longer. Even Radiohead returned to rock after getting weird for a couple of albums. 

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Does anyone actually care what the NME thinks anymore?

Carries about as much weight these days as me whispering a review into the ear of a dead tramp.

Hmm I guess not really. I know they don't do magazines anymore and unsure how their website does. They do still get some big bands for interviews such as AM so I guess they still have some significance.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah Alex said in that interview that he went in to this album thinking they were gonna make a rock record but it just didn’t go that way so you’ve gotta believe they’ll go back to that sound again or at least a more traditional sound. I think the new album is good but I really can’t see it being a sound they can stick with for much longer. Even Radiohead returned to rock after getting weird for a couple of albums. 

Yeah I read that too. There is still glimpses of rock in this record e.g at the end of Body Paint and I agree with you that they won't stick with this sound for too long. I think the gap between AM7 and 8 will be shorter. Tbh I said that last time but the pandemic got in the way. I think this one would have released in early 2021 7if it wasn't for covid. Would expect the next one in 2024.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Hmm I guess not really. I know they don't do magazines anymore and unsure how their website does. They do still get some big bands for interviews such as AM so I guess they still have some significance.

I think they're a "name" now and little more. Bands like AM will give them time because they remember the way the magazine championed them back when it was relevant.

9 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah I'd give it four out of five myself (pardon the pun).

I really don't mind them not doing a rock sound. They're doing the right thing exploring different avenues. People say they want the same sound but when they get it they end up getting bored and the band becomes stale. Their live shows are unaffected because they have that many bangers to fall back on, its bound to be a good show.

That being said I agree that Alex will return to a more commercial sound soon enough, having had a break from it for a good few years now which obviously will help the creative process too.

I have mixed feelings about this one, and I actually really liked TBH&C. I'd probably give this a 5/10??

There are moments of brilliance - I genuinely think 'There'd Better Be A Mirrorball' is one of the most beautiful things they have ever done, I truly love it. And 'Sculptures Of Anything Goes' is huge, I love it. The experimentation that went into this album is almost worth it for these two moments for me. 

But... nothing else has really gripped me.. I Ain't Quite Where I Think I Am is quite good, I really don't like Body Paint.. and the second half of the album largely just happens without me realising. I'm looking forward to the gigs, not sure how but I've actually never seen them live!

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Also, they one million percent deserve to do a Bond theme tune. Might actually get the next one if the timings work out.

As I've said before, when I listen to My Mistakes Were Made For You I can totally picture the silhouettes of naked ladies dancing around with guns...

7 hours ago, clasher said:

At least the label should really, really care.

But yeah, explains why they didn't move it I guess.

only if they thought moving the release date would have sold more records - it’s more likely the sales would have stayed roughly the same, it just would have been number 1.