What have you done today to get ready for Glastonbury 2023?

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

33 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

New fresh and black 4 man ordered for me and my mate today 😎

Have you tried it out? A few of us have the 3 man ones and they are literally just big enough for one person and their stuff! 

12 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

(After a frustrating battle with the forum's daft IP banning 'feature' - hope the following is worth it...)

Yes they can be, as the waterproofing is done by the Goretex membrane (or eVent or whatever version they're using) whilst the fabric is just to sandwich the thin membrane to protect it.  Two things can go wrong with this though:

If the boot design doesn't result in your foot being completely enclosed in a Goretex bag, then the water will get in through the gaps.  Two common areas where this happens are (1) the bit where it laces up (the tongue needs to be joined to the rest of the boot all the way up, like a wellie with a pleat folded into the front of it) and (2) poor stitching, or whatever they've stuck it together with.  So you need to do a search for reviews to check whether your boots have got any design flaws like this, and also test them out in some deep puddles to make sure.

After you've used them for a long time, the waterproof coating will wear off the fabric.  Although this isn't the Goretex, it still has an important role to play - it ensures any water on the fabric 'beads' and rolls off.  If it doesn't, then the fabric will get sodden where, next to the Goretex, it will block the pores (so the Goretex is no longer breathable) and if the material is really sodden you will actually force moisture back through the pores into your boot when your foot presses against it.  This is the reason for using those waterproofing sprays or wash-in products like NikWax etc. - not for the Goretex, but to try and keep the fabric from getting sodden.  (Spoiler: they don't work that well in my experience - once your Goretex gear has worn out, you can never get it working as well as when it was new.)

For those of us who can hike all day in wellies without any problems, it's comforting to know you've got an emergency pair in your tent.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply … I’ve had a pair of karrimor ones from sports direct for a few years now and have reproffed them but don’t think that’s working any longer . I’ve got waterproof socks so the combo should be ok but I’ll look at reviews too . Cheers 

34 minutes ago, stuie said:

Have you tried it out? A few of us have the 3 man ones and they are literally just big enough for one person and their stuff! 

Not yet as only ordered today…should be arriving at my mates house later this week.

We ordered this one:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-with-poles-arpenaz-4-1-f-b-4-persons-1-bedroom/_/R-p-177332?mc=8731616&c=BLUE_TURQUOISE

9 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Not yet as only ordered today…should be arriving at my mates house later this week.

We ordered this one:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-with-poles-arpenaz-4-1-f-b-4-persons-1-bedroom/_/R-p-177332?mc=8731616&c=BLUE_TURQUOISE

I’ve got this one and it’s plenty big enough for three people. Four would be a little cramped I think.

the single downside with it in my opinion is there aren’t enough windows in the porch (they’ve compromised on this to make it really dark inside) which means it’s not great for sitting in of an evening. Not really an issue at a festival though!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

We ordered this one:

Ah that’s cool! Looks big enough for 2 defo… lots of storage space on the front! 

58 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

I’ve got this one and it’s plenty big enough for three people. Four would be a little cramped I think.

the single downside with it in my opinion is there aren’t enough windows in the porch (they’ve compromised on this to make it really dark inside) which means it’s not great for sitting in of an evening. Not really an issue at a festival though!

True!....I'm 41 and my mate I'm sharing with is 56...he's said he needs decent sleep if he can do Glastonbury these days and so I bought this to help him with the mornings! 🙂

Its just the two of us going in it for the festival, so should be ok space wise. 🙂 

Booked my old banger caravan in for structural restoration. Might be mad, could probably just buy a new one for the same price 🤣🤣 but we love it so much. Cant believe how quickly they'll get her in and repaired so will be solid and dry again for the farm. Also getting a solar kit installed with a USB port inside the van so we'll be able to charge phones and keep the leisure battery topped up. 

On the husbands credit card then 😜 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Booked my old banger caravan in for structural restoration. Might be mad, could probably just buy a new one for the same price 🤣🤣 but we love it so much. Cant believe how quickly they'll get her in and repaired so will be solid and dry again for the farm. Also getting a solar kit installed with a USB port inside the van so we'll be able to charge phones and keep the leisure battery topped up. 

On the husbands credit card then 😜 

Worthwhile long term investment

20 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Ooof, she is a beaut @Bike_Like_A_Mum . Looking forward to a pic of afterwards 

Thanks, to be honest she probably won't look much different. But the two front corners are being rebuilt. Large parts of the interior walls all along the bottom of each side being cut out as she has damp rising damage. Then interior wood and timbers replaced. Wheels arches being replaced and then everything re-sealed. All the benches and  compartments have to come out and then be refitted. Massive job but apparently it will only take a couple of days...

I already upgraded the look of the interior about 5 years ago so I painted it and made the curtains, added the vinyl floor and re-upholstered the cushions etc. Hopefully just a bit of touching up on that front when she returns. Don't know if I want to do anything to the exterior yet. I could paint her but I like all the original little embellishments and logos we'll see

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Got camping chairs deliver, the small ones where the frame snaps into position, seem decent for resting on the Wednesday & Thursday between wandering. Also got a new double sleeping bag delivered as my old one had had it and I like to be able to stretch out.

Got a link to the chairs out of interest? 

3 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Got camping chairs deliver, the small ones where the frame snaps into position, seem decent for resting on the Wednesday & Thursday between wandering. Also got a new double sleeping bag delivered as my old one had had it and I like to be able to stretch out.

Also purchased myself one of these chairs. £20 from Amazon so can’t grumble too much. Easy to put up and packs away small. Seems sturdy enough but I can imagine it might be tricky to sit on after a few ciders! 

Edited by RatingsAndMoney