Thefts/Robberies

august1

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I'm not sure they shot people so much as shot the gun in the air a couple of times to threaten.  Seem to recall it was at the other stage during the day when gigs were on, so any bullet in any direction at body level would have hit someone.

I thought it was in the market area somewhere and someone was on the receiving end (but only a flesh wound or something).

35 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe I imagined it, but I think I actually saw the Met walking about at one point.

Probably - they do occasionally get the chance to police large events outside their area. Was chatting to some a few years back for something on near me. They got paid handsomely for the extra work and all saw it as an opportunity for a piss up. The ones I spoke to were a bit fragile 

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

I'm not sure they shot people so much as shot the gun in the air a couple of times to threaten.  Seem to recall it was at the other stage during the day when gigs were on, so any bullet in any direction at body level would have hit someone.

Five people were shot, apparenly all bystanders

https://www.theguardian.com/music/1994/jun/27/glastonbury2003.glastonbury

and a 'festival isn't as good as it used to be' quote from that article, from 30 years ago:

Anthony Lee, a 23-year-old volunteer on the Big Issue stall for the homeless, was disappointed at how few stopped to chat or buy a T-shirt. 'I'm surprised, because Glastonbury has got this tradition of caring. I would have liked to have been here when it started. Now, like everything else, it's turning into a theme park.'

Edited by paulshane
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pipine said:

Did anyone think there were more police on site on Sunday? I’d seen occasional pairs of police here and there all weekend but Sunday they seemed to be everywhere.  Might’ve just been coincidence.

https://x.com/policeatglasto/status/1807372272027472373?s=46&t=XzXtyl311-twukZdC5F7gA

probably this. They do this at big events from time to time. 

1 hour ago, paulshane said:

Five people were shot, apparenly all bystanders

https://www.theguardian.com/music/1994/jun/27/glastonbury2003.glastonbury

and a 'festival isn't as good as it used to be' quote from that article, from 30 years ago:

News report here

Amazing really how hand wavey the whole response was then. Quite Brasseye. 

Eavis: "I’m not going to stop the show because there’s one crazy guy with a pistol"

"It was the best shooting ever"

Edited by The Nal

11 minutes ago, sunnyshoes said:

Wristband checks at Worthy View were a lot more strict this year compared to previous years I thought. Had to show both festival and WV one at the top and bottom of the hill going both ways. 

Saw a guy come flying through the gates at worthy view with a couple of stewards in hot pursuit whilst Frank Turner was on. I reckon he probably made it as he was pretty quick and if I was a steward i wouldn't chase someone down that big hill!

Second time I have seen someone do that there and leg it down the hill cheese roll style!

50 minutes ago, rubenz said:

Saw a guy come flying through the gates at worthy view with a couple of stewards in hot pursuit whilst Frank Turner was on. I reckon he probably made it as he was pretty quick and if I was a steward i wouldn't chase someone down that big hill!

Second time I have seen someone do that there and leg it down the hill cheese roll style!

Running down the steep gravelly path from WV into the festival sounds mega risky. Its dangerous enough taking it steady. I wonder if he got over the fence into WV or legged it through the main gates though the gate was really busy if it was Thurs afternoon. Security were chucking out 2 lads without wristbands when I was at the lock up on friday morning. Security were trying to get their bags from the lock-up. Bit of a cheek - getting in for free and then using the lock-ups. 

Near the end of my night shift about 4am Saturday I had a young lad come over with bleeding hand.  He said he’d just been ambushed by 3 blokes at the long drops right by the gate and they’d pulled off his wristband and stole his phone. 

Never heard of anything like that before in all my years going to Glasto. 

Also, during Thursday afternoon we had the biggest group of ‘runners’ I’ve ever seen… probably 20. Most got in, 4 got caught by security. Poor old lady got knocked over into railings and her son who she was with caught another 1. 

7 hours ago, Lucy92 said:

There’s also a lot more undercover police than you realise there

I once witnessed an under cover cop going around the campsite we were in. He's go up to groups of people at thei tnt, talk to them, then say his goodbye's and leave. The next minute suited uniform would steam in and nab some people. I watched this going on for quite some time. There was nothing that I could do to 'assist' people in not being negatively influenced in this manner at the festival. It was an almost relentless campaign. 

And then he came up to me, and started talking. I'd already hidden away my own gear, so that couldn't be caught. Anyway, he talked for a bit, probably noticed that I was smoking 'proper' cigarettes etc and f**ked off. 

After he had gone I realised that the plastic wrapped speed (a large amount) that I'd put into an empty beer can, had had the plastic bag ripped when I was putting it through the small hole at the top of the tin. Not only that, but I discovered that the tin wasn't actually empty at all ie it still had some liquid in it. And then further insult to injury I realised that somebody (possibly me) had also used the tin as an ashtray. The net result was that when I wanted a bit of speed I had to swig down speed, beer, and fag ash. Eat your heart out Heston Blumenthal. That's the drink you want to accompany the main courses.

That is my 'known' interaction with undercover. 

We were stood right by the exit to Hawkwell / Michale’s Mead at the back of the pyramid field for Coldplay, a lady came over asking if we’d found an Iphone in the area. We obviously tried to help her look on the ground with our phone torches, but she said that “if we hadn’t seen it already, it was probably futile.” Now the reason I mention it is because there was more police and security in that one small area than I saw for the entire rest of the weekend. So as much as I hope she did find it, I guessed that there was probably pick pockets known to be operating there at the time. 😞  

I noticed a lot of undercover activity over the weekend, particularly at the levels, IICON and Arcadia, I found it quite reassuring if I'm honest. No idea if they were security or police?

I know 99.5% of guests aren't harming anyone but there's certainly a small element of wrong 'uns and creeps around the place.

I still noticed LOTS of folk without wristbands, even large families, with kids, buggies etc. That's not people jumping the fence, that's something more organised, don't know why GFL aren't tackling it, blaggers aren't even making the effort to be stealthy about it...

1 hour ago, Nice hymer said:

I noticed a lot of undercover activity over the weekend, particularly at the levels, IICON and Arcadia, I found it quite reassuring if I'm honest. No idea if they were security or police?

I know 99.5% of guests aren't harming anyone but there's certainly a small element of wrong 'uns and creeps around the place.

I still noticed LOTS of folk without wristbands, even large families, with kids, buggies etc. That's not people jumping the fence, that's something more organised, don't know why GFL aren't tackling it, blaggers aren't even making the effort to be stealthy about it...

villager ticket people don't have wristbands

We were held up for a while at PGC on Weds night for a while coming out the fest when a middle aged guy ran through the crowd with 2 security following. They got him despite him struggling a lot. I assumed a gate runner but don't know.

Edited by Johnnyseven