Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

1 hour ago, moogster said:

At least good motivation not to say "I lost the weight now I don't need to care anymore"!

As a side note the vet just put my cat on a diet, so that he doesn't get diabetic. I shall now update you on his weight loss progress 😛 . Startpoint: 7 kilos. 60g of diet kibbles a day.

Which food is he on? 

Does he go outside? 

What exercise does he do?

20 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Which food is he on? 

Does he go outside? 

What exercise does he do?

I am upping his exercise by throwing kibbles for him to catch. I am wondering how many calories the activity "scratching the couch" burns. Maybe we should let him do that after all. 

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Well in champ! That doesn't look like a ruined time to me! Marathons are HARD. Brighton isn't easy an easy course either. Did you see Jubilee Street?

Thanks! I was on track for 3:28 but christ the last 10km really hurt.

25 minutes ago, sfroml said:

Amazing stuff! Well done!

I'm running Leeds Marathon in May.....

Thanks, best of luck to you! I was tempted by it. Maybe next year?

Edited by Kalopsia
  • Like 2

On 4/2/2023 at 8:25 AM, philipsteak said:

I really do need to motivate myself into switching from weight loss to fitness. I mean the improved fitness has been happening too by default but the weight loss really was the priority due to the diabetes diagnosis. Over 4.5 stone now. (29kgs). Got rid of nearly all my old clothes and bought new (well, raided the local charity shops. Nice that that's an option now. The men's selection tends to be not great. The fat bloke selection. Yeesh!) and you know what? I look good! It's so nice being able to wear clothes that fit well and look good on me and aren't just doomed attempts to hide my bulk. I'm a size medium now. Medium! (well, sometimes a large. Depends). I was a snug XXL 4 months ago.

Recently bumped into a couple of friends who I haven't seen since before I started. One almost didn't recognise me.

Amazing work! Fitness will come, once you start you'll get stronger and stronger at a pace that suits you.

12 hours ago, philipsteak said:

You should be! Well done

12 hours ago, coma girl said:

Well done! 

12 hours ago, Quark said:

Sub 4 is great work with the challenges you've  had. 

More importantly, where did you go for food after? 😄

Thanks everyone! 

I ended up in the George Payne Pub for a roast dinner and it was beautiful. Also gave me some free fizz to go with my half of Guinness (haven't drank alcohol all year so started small considering I had collapsed after the run and needed medical attention it seemed sensible).

20230402_183329.jpg

20230402_182950.jpg

1 hour ago, Kalopsia said:

Thanks, best of luck to you! I was tempted by it. Maybe next year?

Thank you 🙂 

I did 20 miles of it the other week as part of training plan, the leg up from Otley pretty much all the way to Adel is uphill. Going to trial it again on Friday.....

2 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Amazing work! Fitness will come, once you start you'll get stronger and stronger at a pace that suits you.

I love this thread. It really has been such a help. Even when the rest of the forum is an utter binfire, this thread is so supportive and positive. Bunch of random people from the internet. Everyone at different stages, from (former) fat blokes to literal marathon runners. No judgement, no preaching. Just advice, encouragement, support.

Ace.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, moogster said:

Actually I'd like to ask this thread's "pro" runners how they care for their quads, as I have a sore one recently. The usual heel on bum stretch? Bit of massage? Straight after running?

Heel to bum works for me, or implementing some light yoga into your routine can be really helpful. Plus rest and magnesium salt baths.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Heel to bum works for me, or implementing some light yoga into your routine can be really helpful. Plus rest and magnesium salt baths.

Thanks, I am understanding quite fast that rest is more important than following the schedule if my body gives me signals! 

6 hours ago, moogster said:

I am upping his exercise by throwing kibbles for him to catch. I am wondering how many calories the activity "scratching the couch" burns. Maybe we should let him do that after all. 

The amount of calories in a bit of kibble would be more than the catch! It's very difficult to get a cat to lose weight through calorie restriction alone, especially if they go outside as they will space food elsewhere. 

Hills r/d or Royal Canin Obesity are the two foods that give you the best chance. Find out what weight he was at 18m old and work towards the low end of the range they give you for that weight. 

Weight it out at start of day, if he's a grazer, leave it down, if he eats in one go, feed in two meals. Have a timer to feed him at 5am if he's a cat that wakes you up. Don't leave food down while you're out. That means that if he's going to pester you for food, you've got some to give him when you're in earshot. If he's moaning for food while you're out...who cares? 🙂

Then...you need to work on exercise...

3 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I love this thread. It really has been such a help. Even when the rest of the forum is an utter binfire, this thread is so supportive and positive. Bunch of random people from the internet. Everyone at different stages, from (former) fat blokes to literal marathon runners. No judgement, no preaching. Just advice, encouragement, support.

Ace.

i think its safe to emerge from this thread now .... ive dropped a couple of kg by giving up eating bread for the time being 🙂 

55 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Hills r/d or Royal Canin Obesity are the two foods that give you the best chance. Find out what weight he was at 18m old and work towards the low end of the range they give you for that weight. 

Weight it out at start of day, if he's a grazer, leave it down, if he eats in one go, feed in two meals. Have a timer to feed him at 5am if he's a cat that wakes you up. Don't leave food down while you're out. That means that if he's going to pester you for food, you've got some to give him when you're in earshot. If he's moaning for food while you're out...who cares? 🙂

Then...you need to work on exercise...

He was always on Royal Canin " light"  but now indeed on a real weight reduction thing (vet's brand). I gave up a bit understanding how he eats, so now it's the low range of kibble weight for weight reduction, split in two meals. He begs a bit but I think it's more because he links food to attention. It seems it's more complicated to deal with pet weight loss than human 😛

57 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Sore all the time? Or just after running? Where in the quad? 

I have " knots"  about halfway the muscle, and it's radiating to the knee and hip a bit. Totally fine when the muscles are warm. It started not because of running but because I had to lift heavy stuff two weeks ago, and did that with proper squats instead of killing my back. But overdid the squatting instead. I am just postponing going to the physio because he's a dryneedling freak and I know how much that's going to hurt really.

53 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Cannot recommend these highly enough, for those suffering from calf soreness/shin splints.

Nearly had to pull out of Half Marathon last year until these came along...

71KQBdb8+OL._AC_SX679_.jpg

That's neat! always annoying to try and keep the regular pads in place at the right spot!

5 hours ago, moogster said:

He was always on Royal Canin " light"  but now indeed on a real weight reduction thing (vet's brand). I gave up a bit understanding how he eats, so now it's the low range of kibble weight for weight reduction, split in two meals. He begs a bit but I think it's more because he links food to attention. It seems it's more complicated to deal with pet weight loss than human 😛

I have " knots"  about halfway the muscle, and it's radiating to the knee and hip a bit. Totally fine when the muscles are warm. It started not because of running but because I had to lift heavy stuff two weeks ago, and did that with proper squats instead of killing my back. But overdid the squatting instead. I am just postponing going to the physio because he's a dryneedling freak and I know how much that's going to hurt really.

Cats are for sure. What brand is he on? Don't get it from the vet - we'll charge you wayyyyyyy more than online usually. 

As for the muscle, have you tried foam rolling or massage gunning the knot?

9 hours ago, Superscally said:

Cats are for sure. What brand is he on? Don't get it from the vet - we'll charge you wayyyyyyy more than online usually. 

As for the muscle, have you tried foam rolling or massage gunning the knot?

It's called Specific. I already checked online for an alternative supply.

Massaging does help (I have a roll and a few other foam tools, and I am indeed considering a massage gun but I don't know if they're that worth it?

12 hours ago, moogster said:

It's called Specific. I already checked online for an alternative supply.

Massaging does help (I have a roll and a few other foam tools, and I am indeed considering a massage gun but I don't know if they're that worth it?

This one?

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Specific-VetXX-FRD-FRW-Weight-Reduction-Cat-Food/c1012/?quick_find=295961&awc=6960_1680638332_b58397e6abd2a5565c6d3122ff87083e&utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=575373

If foam rolling is helping...keep going. See a sports masseur too. Know a great one on the Wirral.

Nothing quite like working at the nuttier end of customer service to keep the old ego in check. Had a fair few people tell me how good I'm looking lately so got to be careful I don't get too big a head. So god love the bonkers guest (actually, technically she wasn't even a guest) who told me she thought I was about 70 yesterday!🤣 I'm 46!

9 hours ago, Superscally said:

Yes 🙂 Found it at the same price (but in Euros, which explain why the sports masseur in the Wirral may be a bit tricky for me to visit)

9 hours ago, Quark said:

Going to check in after a week and see if @moogster has got the advice round the wrong way.  Looking forward to stories of massaging a quad with kibbles and trying to massage the cat with a foam roller.

Well actually I half followed @Kalopsia's advice: I don't have a bathtub but found some magnesium massage oil.  So kitty's gettingbelly rubbed with massage oil while I am enjoying the scent of catfood on my tired legs. I dug out the cat leash we have somewhere and he is coming with for a  5 k at lunch too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Nothing quite like working at the nuttier end of customer service to keep the old ego in check. Had a fair few people tell me how good I'm looking lately so got to be careful I don't get too big a head. So god love the bonkers guest (actually, technically she wasn't even a guest) who told me she thought I was about 70 yesterday!🤣 I'm 46!

Rub your face with cat kibbles. Does wonders! 😛

Talked to a guy yesterday who lost about what you lost in a couple of years because the doc saw he was pre-diabetic. What he did? Started going for a walk instead of crashing on the couch and stopped drinking sodas. 

1 hour ago, moogster said:

Rub your face with cat kibbles. Does wonders! 😛

Talked to a guy yesterday who lost about what you lost in a couple of years because the doc saw he was pre-diabetic. What he did? Started going for a walk instead of crashing on the couch and stopped drinking sodas. 

When does the new beauty business start? With the right marketing...

Good on him. Yeah, it's not complicated is it. I went more extreme on the diet, but that's pretty much what I did in a shorter time span.