Volunteering 2023

neil93

30 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Good shout Scrump. I had a different role last year and my day off was indeed Wednesday. That said, whatever your day off is, it's party time!

The other thing to consider is the shifts are, I think, really reasonable. 4 X 6 hour shifts is one day out of six days on site and access to staff bars from Tuesday provides plenty of opportunities.

Thanks for letting me know - so is there definitely no way to swap shifts with other volunteers?

2 minutes ago, foals98 said:

Thanks for letting me know - so is there definitely no way to swap shifts with other volunteers?

I think it probably happens but never asked. It may be that the easiest way to swap is as soon as you get the roster on Tues as swapping once everyone starts working may be trickier.

I certainly would not worry about it mate. I reckon you will get to see AM. None of my 2019 loo crew shifts clashed with any headliner slot's 

56 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Good shout Scrump. I had a different role last year and my day off was indeed Wednesday. That said, whatever your day off is, it's party time!

The other thing to consider is the shifts are, I think, really reasonable. 4 X 6 hour shifts is one day out of six days on site and access to staff bars from Tuesday provides plenty of opportunities.

Can you not go Monday? 

Usually arrival date is Tuesday but Monday last year and Monday for some role's but vast majority of volunteers irs Tuesday arrival.

There is not the requirement for WaterAid to be working days before the festival as there ain't the huge amounts of people there requiring hydration and a poo 

3 hours ago, foals98 said:

For Oxfam at other festivals where they have roles in amongst it if there's a band you desperately want to see I know people chat to the supervisor to try to arrange breaks around those acts. Or if you're on a roaming shift you can "roam" at the back of the act. 

If you can't swap and the shift does clash it's worth asking whoever's leading your shift as they might be able to arrange something.

On 3/20/2023 at 11:14 AM, From the Woods said:

I'm feeling very fortunate as I've been accepted to join the recycling team this year - it will be my first time attending as a volunteer and it has sent my anticipation to a whole new level!

A few questions arising:

• We were also lucky in securing normal tickets back in Nov.  (Two tickets that will definitely be added to the resale!).  I'm surprised that there is no process for moving the £50 deposit to our 'guarantee' payment to the Recycling team.  Does this apply to all the volunteering organisations?  I'm assuming I've got zero chance to claim back from Seetickets?
  • We missed last year's, and the last pre-pandemic, Glastos,  but would I be right to assume that you can now get by 100% cashless?  As I'm hoping to get post festival shifts this is asking for right up to the Thursday after.
  • No idea how packed the Recycling campsite gets - will there be plenty of pitch options if arriving early afternoon on Tuesday?

Have you volunteered with the Recycle crew before ? I was under the impression, new people were on a waitlist until places became available? 

12 hours ago, highnrg123 said:

Have you volunteered with the Recycle crew before ? I was under the impression, new people were on a waitlist until places became available? 

I'm new and I was on a wait list.  Not sure if my willingness/ preference to work post festival may have influenced where on the list I was as I understand it they are not very popular shifts.

1 hour ago, Greenelk said:

Is it just me, or have Oxfam altered the layout of the main festival line up page?  Still trying to get a slot for a friend, and looks like they've swapped role and festival around on the page

Yep it has. Lots of changes for other festivals coming and going in availability but none for Glastonbury. Looking like post resale to grab a spot with Oxfam. Still wont stop us all hovering over the Oxfam site though. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, golden egg said:

Anyone else keep getting notifications and nothing has changed?

It's been very busy today with lots of the other festivals becoming available and then selling out again all morning, but no Glastonbury slots that I'm aware of

They have changed the functionality. No the fesitval list is edited depending on what role you select first. 

So if you select shop it will only show the festivals that have shops. Well I think that is the intended change... not sure how accurate it is though. I would have thought all festivals they are at have campaigner roles etc? But the list is shorter. 

14 hours ago, Havors said:

They have changed the functionality. No the fesitval list is edited depending on what role you select first. 

So if you select shop it will only show the festivals that have shops. Well I think that is the intended change... not sure how accurate it is though. I would have thought all festivals they are at have campaigner roles etc? But the list is shorter. 

Not sure they do. And even the ones they do I think they might recruit for some festivals differently. EG I'd never seen campaigners at Bearded Theory before last year (I don't go every year though) and they  had a few last year. They volunteers recruited through the website though. I think they may have been Oxfam staff.

Anyway, think this format is better. Was very frustrating last year trying to get a place at the sold out Womad, only to click through and see it was a shop or campaigning place, not stewarding.

8 hours ago, Isaaclk said:

Me and all my friends just got glasto places with oxfam! Probably 8 places in total. Keep your hopes up everyone

Looks like quite a few went up just gone 11 last night.  Two friends of mine also now have places with Oxfam!   The site was going mad with ArcTanGent going on and off sale constantly for a few hours leading up to then, often within 30 seconds of each other.  Wonder if that was them trying to get people to turn their page monitors off 😂

With the times they've been becoming available, it's almost like there is no pattern....

Edited by Greenelk
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Not sure they do. And even the ones they do I think they might recruit for some festivals differently. EG I'd never seen campaigners at Bearded Theory before last year (I don't go every year though) and they  had a few last year. They volunteers recruited through the website though. I think they may have been Oxfam staff.

Anyway, think this format is better. Was very frustrating last year trying to get a place at the sold out Womad, only to click through and see it was a shop or campaigning place, not stewarding.

They weren't the normal campaigners at Bearded last year they were, for want of a better word, chuggers who work more or less full time signing people up to direct debits - usually on high streets. They did a couple of festivals last year just to see how it would go, I'm not sure if they are going to repeat it, but the team there seemed pretty pleased with it.

The campaign roles you can volunteer for are just to engage people with the work of Oxfam.

2 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

They weren't the normal campaigners at Bearded last year they were, for want of a better word, chuggers who work more or less full time signing people up to direct debits - usually on high streets. They did a couple of festivals last year just to see how it would go, I'm not sure if they are going to repeat it, but the team there seemed pretty pleased with it.

The campaign roles you can volunteer for are just to engage people with the work of Oxfam.

That's it, knew there was something different to the usual campaigners. Thanks for the reminder.

1 hour ago, Greenelk said:

Looks like quite a few went up just gone 11 last night.  Two friends of mine also now have places with Oxfam!   The site was going mad with ArcTanGent going on and off sale constantly for a few hours leading up to then, often within 30 seconds of each other.  Wonder if that was them trying to get people to turn their page monitors off 😂

With the times they've been becoming available, it's almost like there is no pattern....

Big thanks to @greenelk for getting me a place last night (time of which was way past my bedtime!). Woke up to the news this morning I am still shaking - can hardly believe I'm in and wouldn't have got there without the kind help of this man 🙂

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Havors said:

ffs who is checking at 11pm at night? go to bed! haha 

I was just going to bed, when I did one final check!  Very glad I did!!  I'm normally in the radio studio till midnight on a Monday, but did a pre-record last night as wasn't feeling great.  Didn't quite get as early a night as planned though!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Greenelk said:

Congratulations! I think I’ve solved more CAPTCHAs in the last 48 hours than the rest of my life combined