Trainwreck:Woodstock '99 Netflix Doc

glimmers_of_hope

2 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Anthony Kiedis wrote in his book that they played Fire because Jimi's estate asked them to play Jimi's song and that's a song they had rehearsed at the time. I still don't think they should've played it tho

They can rehearse it all they want. Someone should have looked out at the multiple fires burning in front of them and thought "hmmm.... is this a good idea?"

Thanks

Peace, Love, and Rage instead goes in-depth into the societal context, which the Netflix documentary only briefly touches on, and features journalists who weren't there but are looking at the event in a more analytical, retrospective way

I really liked the blonde journalist input in that one I have to say.

On 8/24/2022 at 6:22 PM, danbailey80 said:

TBH I'm not even sure the twats were listening or aware of the music or ever heard the song's name/ chorus. 

They would have burnt stuff whatever. No band is to blame. 

Yeah I think the Chili Peppers could have played the mellowest song in their back catalogue and people still would've been setting fire to shit. It looked just that far gone by that point.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Apparently a bit of a tribute to this went down at Reading last night 

So goes the phrasing in this morning's Metro, anyway

Reading and Leeds Festival turns into Woodstock 99 with fires and looting | Metro News

I thought this kind of thing had stopped being an R&L tradition, or at least not in the same news-worthy league as it was in 2002 when I heard a fuck ton of gas canisters got set on fire. And yet, here we are.

33 minutes ago, st dan said:

2008 was the last time in remember Leeds being really bad for it. They did a good job on cracking down on it from then to 2015 when I last went. 
Would be interested in the comparisons of this year compared to 2008 for example. 

Similar story for me....Reading 2009 was really bad and they clamped right down on it from the 2010 festival onwards...I stopped going in 2015 so can't comment further, last year and this year I only went for a day for specific headliners.

Just had a look at the Reading line-up on clashfinder, I've not been for a looong time.  Since when are there two main stages - East & West?  One of the comments re this years Glastonbury was floods of people arriving 'all of a sudden' for many of the acts, and then leaving en-masse to go elsewhere - the Reading line-up structure (perfect overlap between each set / gap across the main stages) seems to pretty much guarantee that's how people are going to behave.  I'd of thought people would be too tired to set fire to stuff after a weekend of rushing back and forth so much!

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

Just had a look at the Reading line-up on clashfinder, I've not been for a looong time.  Since when are there two main stages - East & West?  One of the comments re this years Glastonbury was floods of people arriving 'all of a sudden' for many of the acts, and then leaving en-masse to go elsewhere - the Reading line-up structure (perfect overlap between each set / gap across the main stages) seems to pretty much guarantee that's how people are going to behave.  I'd of thought people would be too tired to set fire to stuff after a weekend of rushing back and forth so much!

Introduced it in 2021, essentially the 2nd main stage replaced the Radio 1 tent which is no more.

2 hours ago, p.pete said:

it was no where near as busy at Reading as it was at Glastonbury. getting food was fuss free, never felt overwhelmed with the people and no made crush/rush from getting from stage-to-stage. they messed up a lot but that was really good. 

However, it does mean that people who want to stay at one stage to get a good spot are waiting around for a solid hour and a bit with no entertainment. 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

In fairness that was Glastonbury 10years ago probably even less … Reading /Leeds need to get their act together on this 

I'm not sure they're even interested, I'm not aware that they've even really tried.

Got back from Shambala yesterday, as usual the lack of rubbish on the ground is very impressive. I even saw two litter pickers have a joke fight over one bit of rubbish.

Last year no tents were left, yet to see the figures this year, but expecting the same.

Must be said though; Shambala punters are totally unlike any others. The contrast with Glastonbury punters is staggering and made me realise that I was correct in thinking Glastonbury had a slightly unfriendly atmosphere this year.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

I'm not sure they're even interested, I'm not aware that they've even really tried.

Got back from Shambala yesterday, as usual the lack of rubbish on the ground is very impressive. I even saw two litter pickers have a joke fight over one bit of rubbish.

Last year no tents were left, yet to see the figures this year, but expecting the same.

Must be said though; Shambala punters are totally unlike any others. The contrast with Glastonbury punters is staggering and made me realise that I was correct in thinking Glastonbury had a slightly unfriendly atmosphere this year.

You are doing Glastonbury down there … I didn’t have a single issue of anyone being unfriendly the tent issue continues to improve too … it’s about education and slowly making progress … it’s won’t be an overnight thing .. 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

You are doing Glastonbury down there … I didn’t have a single issue of anyone being unfriendly the tent issue continues to improve too … it’s about education and slowly making progress … it’s won’t be an overnight thing .. 

Maybe it's a contrast thing, the level of love shown by Shambala people is way above anything I've ever witnessed anywhere.

I spoke to several people, old mates who've been going to festivals for decades, strangers and an old friends daughter. All of them agreed that Glastonbury was a bit tense, a bit unfriendly and massively overcrowded this year.

True that the tent issue is improving year by year at Glastonbury.

Guess I'll just have to accept that Shambala is an exception and be grateful to go there for free every year.

Edited by Skip997

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

I spoke to several people, old mates who've been going to festivals for decades, strangers and an old friends daughter. All of them agreed that Glastonbury was a bit tense, a bit unfriendly and massively overcrowded this year.

Sorry the festival having an edge is too much for you 

15 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Continual slow progress.  Until there's a proper muddy year.

Pretty sure it can't have been a muddy year this year though for Reading!  Are the 16 year olds bringing the cheapest / oldest tents that they can find - maybe deciding they're never going to go camping again.  If that's a significant portion of the crowd, and it always will be at Reading, then is there much opportunity for 'continual improvement'?  Each year there's going to be a new set of GCSE students who've maybe never camped in their life, their camping equipment is shoddy and means nothing to them - not sure how far you can ever really improve that?

10 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Continual slow progress.  Until there's a proper muddy year.

Pretty sure it can't have been a muddy year this year though for Reading!  Are the 16 year olds bringing the cheapest / oldest tents that they can find - maybe deciding they're never going to go camping again.  If that's a significant portion of the crowd, and it always will be at Reading, then is there much opportunity for 'continual improvement'?  Each year there's going to be a new set of GCSE students who've maybe never camped in their life, their camping equipment is shoddy and means nothing to them - not sure how far you can ever really improve that?

And then the improvement needs to be over the previous muddy year . I’ve not been to Reading or Leeds but I’d hazard a guess there is absolutely nothing to educate the youngsters in terms of environmental stuff or do they make any attempts whatsoever to help keep it clean … I’d guess the answer is no to that too . The “youngsters “ might slowly begin to realise the actions of some of the now adults are leaving them with issues longer term … but maybe I’m just in my own dream world 🌎 or maybe I’m bored with people saying things can’t be done 

Edited by crazyfool1