Trainwreck:Woodstock '99 Netflix Doc

glimmers_of_hope

16 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

On a more positive note, somebody I know (through football) runs a homeless charity who collects these tents and sleeping bags from Leeds. They say that more organisations than ever were there collecting them... So they will all go to VERY good use this year.

Video starts at 0:42 (It was a live originally) 

https://fb.watch/feR-wsrPkU/

It's also worth mentioning that revellers are made aware that this will happen before the festival... https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2022-08-24/leeds-festival-what-to-do-with-your-tent-at-the-end-of-the-weekend?fbclid=IwAR2mTk5HlYJmSAXj67FNojhQFyqlaDa9kQqMh7shRjcDJyNOPfTimxAM-Dg

Edited by Alvoram

7 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Although festival-goers are advised to take their tents with them when they head home, the charity says those who have no option but to leave them can help with recovery efforts.

Don't understand. They brought tents with them, why can't they take them home?

14 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Don't understand. They brought tents with them, why can't they take them home?

No idea... It's most likely just laziness... But at least they absolutely are going to good use here. The sleeping bags especially are quite literally life savers. 

Same people probably moaning about the prices of things going up, and will probably moan about the price of tickets next year... Then proceed to leave £50 worth of gear on the field again...

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

No idea... It's most likely just laziness... But at least they absolutely are going to good use here. The sleeping bags especially are quite literally life savers. 

Same people probably moaning about the prices of things going up, and will probably moan about the price of tickets next year... Then proceed to leave £50 worth of gear on the field again...

I would never leave £50 worth of gear in a field! 😉 

5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

And then the improvement needs to be over the previous muddy year . I’ve not been to Reading or Leeds but I’d hazard a guess there is absolutely nothing to educate the youngsters in terms of environmental stuff or do they make any attempts whatsoever to help keep it clean … I’d guess the answer is no to that too . The “youngsters “ might slowly begin to realise the actions of some of the now adults are leaving them with issues longer term … but maybe I’m just in my own dream world 🌎 or maybe I’m bored with people saying things can’t be done 

Yes - that's a fair point - hopefully 2007 was better than 2005, and 2016 was better than 2011 (hopefully I've got the most recent wettest years right there).

A long time since I've been to Reading, but yeah, pretty much there was camping areas and then in the arena for bands there's nothing educational going on.

Glastonbury does shows that things can be done differently / improved.  I think we each learn to respect things differently over time, going to a few Glastonbury's and just camping generally has led me down the 'leave no trace' route.  Hopefully most of us become less of a dick as we get older.  As people go to more festivals they probably start to think more about how they behave and how they respect the environment they are in, but there's an issue for the festivals (like Reading) which have a large proportion of attenders for whom it's one of their first festivals or not camped much before.

For example Chinese lanterns at Glastonbury - 2005 / 2009 I didn't have a sense of whether the farm had any particular opinion on them but by '10/'11 they'd made it clear that they were a danger to livestock - you could see people still setting them off, but also start to see people running up to lanterns to try to interrupt their setting-sail, and I've probably not seen any since maybe 2013.  Glastonbury has the ability to be heard on these kinds of issues, but also us as punters there's enough people going every year who can sometimes step in and have a word at the right moment - I'm just wondering how festivals timed for GCSE results would ever achieve that kind of evolution?  Not wanting to say 'things can't be done' - but at the same time it's maybe not as straight-forward for all festivals to have a voice to encourage positive behaviour - it might be as simple as borrowing some of the positive things that Glastonbury does or has put in place (but I'm just being sceptical 🙂 )

5 hours ago, DeanoL said:

To be honest if I was at Leeds and my tent was ripped/burned/covered in shit by twats, I'd probably leave it behind.

My friends daughter, 17 on her first festival, left her camping chair at Leeds as someone had taken a shit on it when she left it outside her tent.  

We've tried to assure her that not all festivals are the same 😆

22 minutes ago, stuie said:

My friends daughter, 17 on her first festival, left her camping chair at Leeds as someone had taken a shit on it when she left it outside her tent.  

We've tried to assure her that not all festivals are the same 😆

Lovely 😄 - just need to get her to watch some of the Woodstock99 documentaries to show her other stuff goes on too 🙂 

17 hours ago, Isaact said:

Reading is the kiddie festival.

14-18 year olds are inconsiderate. What a shock.

I'm aware there is a "twas ever thus" element to it tbf. I went to Reading in 2011 on a day trip for the Sunday and slept in a tent overnight (this in the days when day tickets did include camping) and walking through the site at 7am the morning after to go home was surreal. So much abandoned shite everywhere.

17 hours ago, p.pete said:

Yes - that's a fair point - hopefully 2007 was better than 2005, and 2016 was better than 2011 (hopefully I've got the most recent wettest years right there).

A long time since I've been to Reading, but yeah, pretty much there was camping areas and then in the arena for bands there's nothing educational going on.

Glastonbury does shows that things can be done differently / improved.  I think we each learn to respect things differently over time, going to a few Glastonbury's and just camping generally has led me down the 'leave no trace' route.  Hopefully most of us become less of a dick as we get older.  As people go to more festivals they probably start to think more about how they behave and how they respect the environment they are in, but there's an issue for the festivals (like Reading) which have a large proportion of attenders for whom it's one of their first festivals or not camped much before.

For example Chinese lanterns at Glastonbury - 2005 / 2009 I didn't have a sense of whether the farm had any particular opinion on them but by '10/'11 they'd made it clear that they were a danger to livestock - you could see people still setting them off, but also start to see people running up to lanterns to try to interrupt their setting-sail, and I've probably not seen any since maybe 2013.  Glastonbury has the ability to be heard on these kinds of issues, but also us as punters there's enough people going every year who can sometimes step in and have a word at the right moment - I'm just wondering how festivals timed for GCSE results would ever achieve that kind of evolution?  Not wanting to say 'things can't be done' - but at the same time it's maybe not as straight-forward for all festivals to have a voice to encourage positive behaviour - it might be as simple as borrowing some of the positive things that Glastonbury does or has put in place (but I'm just being sceptical 🙂 )

While I agree with this to an extent when it comes to leaving tents behind etc, it doesn't seem to be working on the pissing on the land issue (wasn't there this year but from what I've read here).

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

While I agree with this to an extent when it comes to leaving tents behind etc, it doesn't seem to be working on the pissing on the land issue (wasn't there this year but from what I've read here).

The pissing on the land issue is infinitely better than it used to be but, sadly, you'll always get some w*nkers in a crowd of 200,000. 

13 minutes ago, stuie said:

The pissing on the land issue is infinitely better than it used to be but, sadly, you'll always get some w*nkers in a crowd of 200,000. 

Yeah it’s agree it was much better … there’s also times where the festival unfortunately don’t help matters with lack of urinal provision … the tiny ones in the park for example 

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It was disgraceful, loads of blokes pissing in hedges only 50 metres from urinals. Stewards/security should be noting down their wristband number and the festival should ban them.

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It was disgraceful, loads of blokes pissing in hedges only 50 metres from urinals. Stewards/security should be noting down their wristband number and the festival should ban them.

You do know wristband numbers aren’t assigned to individuals ?  So no idea what help that would be 

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah it’s agree it was much better … there’s also times where the festival unfortunately don’t help matters with lack of urinal provision … the tiny ones in the park for example 

I've always thought they could do with another set of urinals in the Pyramid field. 

5 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Same re not being there this year - bring back the green police maybe (or are we in a world where they'd get the crap beaten out of them now)? 

I seemed to get two different messages from people here, some saying toilets were fewer and busier and others saying people don't appreciated you just need to walk slightly further to quieter toilets.  Not exactly related to people thinking it's okay to piss on the land but we generally like to think of Glastonbury as being ahead of the curve for toilets.  

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Just like the 80's I'd imagine? 😛 (different scale obviously)

So on arrival when handing out wristbands they should get linked to the ticket being used for entry?  Sounds possible but incredibly expensive...

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

Just like the 80's I'd imagine? 😛 (different scale obviously)

So on arrival when handing out wristbands they should get linked to the ticket being used for entry?  Sounds possible but incredibly expensive...

Shambala have a chip of some sort on the wristband which is scanned on entry and if you leave the site. It's main purpose is to prevent people taking out wristbands to sneak people in. Not sure if it's linked to a specific ticket holder, but considering they don't have paper tickets it may be.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Same re not being there this year - bring back the green police maybe (or are we in a world where they'd get the crap beaten out of them now)? 

I seemed to get two different messages from people here, some saying toilets were fewer and busier and others saying people don't appreciated you just need to walk slightly further to quieter toilets.  Not exactly related to people thinking it's okay to piss on the land but we generally like to think of Glastonbury as being ahead of the curve for toilets.  

It’s never ok to piss on the land but but the numbers of punters increased this year and the number of toilets didn’t …. Some areas like the park are a decent walk from urinals … apart from the tiny ones with a massive q . 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

It’s never ok to piss on the land but but the numbers of punters increased this year and the number of toilets didn’t …. Some areas like the park are a decent walk from urinals … apart from the tiny ones with a massive q . 

All the land pissers I saw were within 50 metres of urinals, almost all in Shangri La.

Alcohol is a terrible drug when taken in excess.