Cost of Living and Glastonbury

Crazyfool01

cost of living and Glastonbury   

344 members have voted

1. 1. with the cost of living rising will this impact the decision to buy Glastonbury tickets ?

• Yes ... im already priced out
    • I will try in oct but a decent chance I wont pay off balance
    • I will try in Oct and it likely ill pay off balance but not 100% sure
    • I will purchase them as usual and pay off as usual

All the utilities are making money while they still can. 

Back on the point of growing up during the 80s with power cuts and no double glazing/central heating. 

Back in those days we didn’t have internet based communications. Even the phone lines could run on minimal power. 

If powercuts over winter become normal then data centres and mobile phone towers will also struggle to enable communication if they are hit by sustained power loss. 

We are literally heading towards a darker time. 

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Back on the point of growing up during the 80s with power cuts and no double glazing/central heating. 

Back in those days we didn’t have internet based communications. Even the phone lines could run on minimal power. 

If powercuts over winter become normal then data centres and mobile phone towers will also struggle to enable communication if they are hit by sustained power loss. 

That's absolutely something that seems to be underplayed here. The fact we are so reliant on electricity for the Internet in its position as an essential service and all the other things like those mean that losing these systems really fucks things up.

You know, if we're going full fat apocalypse novel about how bleak this winter could get.

18 minutes ago, charlierc said:

That's absolutely something that seems to be underplayed here. The fact we are so reliant on electricity for the Internet in its position as an essential service and all the other things like those mean that losing these systems really fucks things up.

You know, if we're going full fat apocalypse novel about how bleak this winter could get.

Fucking he’ll that could mean no efests 😡

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

All the utilities are making money while they still can. 

We are literally heading towards a darker time. 

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Surely they'd ration energy way before it got to the point of random blackouts like that, to avoid the really important stuff from going offline?

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Surely they'd ration energy way before it got to the point of random blackouts like that, to avoid the really important stuff from going offline?

I assume so. I mean, the fact a long read about what is the plan if the gas runs out talks about TV and social media warnings to ration electricity use, and those kind of plans indicate you'd need some way of broadcasting those warnings for people to hear them.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I assume so. I mean, the fact a long read about what is the plan if the gas runs out talks about TV and social media warnings to ration electricity use, and those kind of plans indicate you'd need some way of broadcasting those warnings for people to hear them.

They have been trialling emergency mobile alerts. They won’t need full internet capability to use them though. Basic 2G/3G coverage will be enough. 

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

A huge part of it would involve people having to stay at home surely, with non essential businesses on reduced hours or closed, so keeping things on so the distractions can be used in that situation is pretty essential in itself. Without that people might get a bit angry... 

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

A huge part of it would involve people having to stay at home surely, with non essential businesses on reduced hours or closed, so keeping things on so the distractions can be used in that situation is pretty essential in itself. Without that people might get a bit angry... 

Similar to the first lockdown then.

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

They have been trialling emergency mobile alerts. They won’t need full internet capability to use them though. Basic 2G/3G coverage will be enough. 

Interesting. I guess you would need some kind of failsafe operation to make it work when we're talking about putting the system under such a high stress test.

20 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Nature will find a way. At least its more exciting than talking about the same 5 acts headlining and not ever thinking outside the box for a change.

Bad Bunny is so far outside the box you can’t even see the box anymore.

13 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

The problem is there's no real way to ration energy, not on a "every household/person gets X units and then it cuts off" way. The way it's done is through planned rolling blackouts (which is still a thing in South Africa and has been forever).

14 hours ago, Skip997 said:

The gas/electricity bills are not the fault of the government, have you seen the obscene profits the energy companies are making, there's no need for it to be this price.

Only things the government can do are, re-nationalise or very heavily tax energy companies.

They're not though. Did you not see all the ones that went bankrupt? They're legally limited to a 2% profit margin. 

It's the energy producers that are making a fortune, and you can't get around that with regulation because it's a global market. If we don't pay the ridiculous prices, other countries will and they'll get the energy and we won't. There's no world government apparatus that can regulate that.

We could renationalise our production, but that doesn't cover most of it, and we end up having to sell a lot of that as don't have the storage for it either.

30 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The problem is there's no real way to ration energy, not on a "every household/person gets X units and then it cuts off" way. The way it's done is through planned rolling blackouts (which is still a thing in South Africa and has been forever).

By rationing I more meant closing certain things down to redistribute the less amount of energy we have more widely, if that's even possible 

Edited by efcfanwirral

27 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

They're not though. Did you not see all the ones that went bankrupt? They're legally limited to a 2% profit margin. 

It's the energy producers that are making a fortune, and you can't get around that with regulation because it's a global market. If we don't pay the ridiculous prices, other countries will and they'll get the energy and we won't. There's no world government apparatus that can regulate that.

We could renationalise our production, but that doesn't cover most of it, and we end up having to sell a lot of that as don't have the storage for it either.

Although in some cases they are effectively the same company just different wings of the company ie Centrica which both sells and supplies under different legal entities. So one wing is making massive profits whilst the other a small loss. I personally find that a bit much to swallow still. Legal yes, moral absolutely not!

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

By rationing I more meant closing certain things down to redistribute the less amount of energy we have more widely, if that's even possible 

There's a lot of unnecessary use of electricity, e.g. lights left on in shops and offices overnight. Seems we still haven't got the message re energy security and climate change. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Although in some cases they are effectively the same company just different wings of the company ie Centrica which both sells and supplies under different legal entities. So one wing is making massive profits whilst the other a small loss. I personally find that a bit much to swallow still. Legal yes, moral absolutely not!

But i think they are also legally prevented from acting how we would want them to. So Centrica can't sell their production on preferential terms / cheaper to their distribution arm. As generally that sort of thing is bad....

52 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But i think they are also legally prevented from acting how we would want them to. So Centrica can't sell their production on preferential terms / cheaper to their distribution arm. As generally that sort of thing is bad....

That's where governments could act though. I mean let's face it Centrica are rolling in cash at a time when people are really suffering. 

image.thumb.png.77fc937a5464f65a5aae5be4b236c06e.png

16 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

most of the really important stuff has power backups, i know the datacentre where efests lives has diesel generators if the mains goes down. it also has three different big data connections to the 'net.

Datacenters will be well protected with diesel backup yeah, though their diverse routes are still susceptible to outages tho the point of routing protocols is that they find a way around breaks in the chain. Old PTSN is gone now - even your landline is likely VoIP from the exchange now.

Edited by Pinhead