Cost of Living and Glastonbury

Crazyfool01

cost of living and Glastonbury   

344 members have voted

1. 1. with the cost of living rising will this impact the decision to buy Glastonbury tickets ?

• Yes ... im already priced out
    • I will try in oct but a decent chance I wont pay off balance
    • I will try in Oct and it likely ill pay off balance but not 100% sure
    • I will purchase them as usual and pay off as usual

On 8/31/2022 at 1:32 PM, Neil said:

most of the really important stuff has power backups, i know the datacentre where efests lives has diesel generators if the mains goes down. it also has three different big data connections to the 'net.

And I bet the data centres will also have a battery bank with some big ass inverters to keep things live for a couple of minutes until the generators kick in. 

5 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

And I bet the data centres will also have a battery bank with some big ass inverters to keep things live for a couple of minutes until the generators kick in. 

i don't know, but quite possibly, in 23 years of using the same datacentre, i'm not aware of any down time from powercuts.

19 minutes ago, Neil said:

i don't know, but quite possibly, in 23 years of using the same datacentre, i'm not aware of any down time from powercuts.

They, I believe, have a bank of batteries and inverters connected up and running all the time but doing nothing in reality. If there is sudden unexpected power loss the batteries and inverters will seamlessly take the load for long enough until the generators take over. Likely just a few seconds or maybe a minute or two. Without the batteries and inverters there would be no power until the generators get going whick could create all sorts of problems. It's a kind of brief stop gap. 

I’ve designed and built a couple of mid size data centres and @Sawdusty surfer is correct you normally have a generator and a ups in line of the power into the building. These are done as a n+1 design (with cooling as well) to provide fault tolerance. 

they should be tested weekly by cutting power to the building, however sometimes doing all that when it comes time to do it for real the contacts have seized up and the battery backup doesn’t kick in. 

• 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Anyones thoughts / votes changed as we've learnt more details of the shit show impending ? 

I still think, unless the economy fully crashes in the next 5-6 weeks (2008 style or worse), that the deposits will sell out probably around as quickly as usual - I don't think many people plan ahead that much so I don't think even a high ticket price will bring demand down all that much.  But I think more will drop off at balance payment than usual when reality hits. Then that the resale will probably be similar to this year in that it'll be a little easier and most who try for them get them. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

I still think, unless the economy fully crashes in the next 5-6 weeks (2008 style or worse), that the deposits will sell out probably around as quickly as usual - I don't think many people plan ahead that much so I don't think even a high ticket price will bring demand down all that much.  But I think more will drop off at balance payment when reality hits. 

we had a bit of a discussion around this on last nights virtual meet and that seems to be the opinion of most .... personally I do wonder if its already taken a bite out of some already as im seeing at work when picking shopping .... although maybe that income range have previously been priced out .... might just take any edge of demand in Nov . some might not want to be heaping debt on prior to xmas either 

The middle-classes can definitely still afford it, but I'm sure there's many for whom Glastonbury is not the biggest event of the year, it's just a thing they do. And tightening their belts might mean cutting that so they can still afford two foreign holidays next year as well. 

Just because the impact isn't enough to price people on here out, that's because we're disproportionately invested in the festival. If you're looking at cutting back on *anything* next year to ensure you can afford the festival, then other people are going to be in the same boat and will cut Glastonbury, because while they enjoy it, they're not actually that fussed about it.

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

The middle-classes can definitely still afford it, but I'm sure there's many for whom Glastonbury is not the biggest event of the year, it's just a thing they do. And tightening their belts might mean cutting that so they can still afford two foreign holidays next year as well. 

Just because the impact isn't enough to price people on here out, that's because we're disproportionately invested in the festival. If you're looking at cutting back on *anything* next year to ensure you can afford the festival, then other people are going to be in the same boat and will cut Glastonbury, because while they enjoy it, they're not actually that fussed about it.

Totally agree and as I put in the initial poll I don’t think this forum is reflective of what will happen 

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

i wonder how many of the people who say they're struggling, have overseas trips booked (or have plans to do some) - cos we haven't had stories about how airports are unused and flights are empty!?

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Totally agree and as I put in the initial poll I don’t think this forum is reflective of what will happen 

I have a girlfriend who has no interest in Glastonbury or camping at music festivals in general (she will only do day tickets) so Glastonbury is a thing I do without her.....given I spent about £800 on going this year and as much as it pains me to say I will choose a holiday with her over Glastonbury if I couldn't afford both.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

i wonder how many of the people who say they're struggling, have overseas trips booked (or have plans to do some) - cos we haven't had stories about how airports are unused and flights are empty!?

Doncaster Sheffield Airport to close despite financial lifeline offer - BBC News 

15 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Massive blow to Sheffield.

Coming from the city it is a shame that it is forever experiencing closures and lack of investment, as they'd rather pile more funds into Manchester. It has so much potential as a city but is held back by a lack of belief in it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

To be fair, Doncaster Airport has been on the ropes pretty much since it first opened for passenger service, well before the pandemic - They never actually turned a profit in 17 years of operation and the accumulated losses must be well into the hundreds of millions by now.

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Wonder if some could drift back towards festivals with the weak pound making holidaying abroad less attractive? 

19 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

A lot of these holidays were bought and paid for last year. The number of flights are still way below the level at the start of the pandemic. 

Some maybe 2 years ago still! 

9 minutes ago, incident said:

To be fair, Doncaster Airport has been on the ropes pretty much since it first opened for passenger service, well before the pandemic - They never actually turned a profit in 17 years of operation and the accumulated losses must be well into the hundreds of millions by now.

The airport owners alluded to this. They also said no one has come up with a plan under which Doncaster-Sheffield can run profitably and they cannot justify taking public money just to keep it open. ☹