Coldplay - Why the hate?

Alvoram

On 8/18/2022 at 3:14 PM, gooner1990 said:

Surprised to see their latest album has sold only 100,000 copies in the UK....they used to sell 2-3 million each one that came out....When I used to work at HMV in 2005-06 ish Coldplay were easily the biggest seller.....usually to Mums! 😄 

Where did you see that reported?  I suppose that's a pretty huge number nowadays - to actually sell that many albums?  Or is that counting streams (if "per album" stream numbers are A Thing)?

1 hour ago, eddie_corrigan said:

Oh fuck no don’t do that. You’ll lose your place. Ticket master put on their twitter to join the queue and wait. I’ve been in the Amsterdam queue for an hour and there’s still 190,000 in front of me.  #f5isbad

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

HOW?? HOW ARE COLDPLAY SHIFTING SO MANY TICKETS???

Well I live in the NL and the terrible but popular radio station on in my office plays them about 3 times a (work)day. As in not this week but in the last months, not to say years. Along with Dua Lipa, Harry stiles and Imagine dragons. Yes I am suffering,

15 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

Where did you see that reported?  I suppose that's a pretty huge number nowadays - to actually sell that many albums?  Or is that counting streams (if "per album" stream numbers are A Thing)?

I only looked on Wikipedia, although its now been updated to say 200,000!

Coldplay discography - Wikipedia

image.thumb.png.0952df32bf91db7dee1b6672fd05b5c4.png

6 minutes ago, moogster said:

Well I live in the NL and the terrible but popular radio station on in my office plays them about 3 times a (work)day. As in not this week but in the last months, not to say years. Along with Dua Lipa, Harry stiles and Imagine dragons. Yes I am suffering,

Internet radio is the answer. You can listen to 6 Music from anywhere in the world on that! 

10 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Elton John and Adel are the only ones I can think off that are active. 

Adele might sell out two stadiums here in Sweden, but I doubt it. Ed sheeran sold out 2 dates this summer, I think he is the closest one to Coldplay in terms of popularity here. Elton would definitely not sell out a stadium here, last time he was here he played a mid-sized arena (11k) and a amusement park (17k).

Coldplay added another show in Gothenburg on the 11th july for 3 shows in total. Bought tickets for one of the shows.

27 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Looking at these tour dates and how many dates keep getting added it puts the negative spin on them in perspective.

Clearly the biggest uk band , I can’t think of anyone else that would come close to these ticket sales worldwide 

Considering how many went to Wembley and Hampden just this past week and the prices its amazing really how much demand there is for similar sized shows. 5 of us who went last week are going back and we're taking 5 more people with us who saw the footage and really wanted to see them. 

38 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Internet radio is the answer. You can listen to 6 Music from anywhere in the world on that! 

Oh I do that sometimes but some of my co-workers are a bit old fashioned and don't really like the "headphones on" look. I believe I am the only one not enjoying this radio station -> coldplay sells in the NL. I once tried to sneakingly change it to something slightly better and it was sneakingly changed back 😞 . Coldplay and Imagine Dragons win.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

They get handed back in and are ♻️ 

Ah I see! They are asking for them to be handed in... I saw some of my friends on the train with them still on on their story.  Naughty boys!

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

Ah I see! They are asking for them to be handed in... I saw some of my friends on the train with them still on on their story.  Naughty boys!

The boxes were nearly full as we left and we saw a lot being handed back.

I love how they came out with that nonsense about making tours sustainable (clearly leading the way in this situation would be to not do so - I know the vehicle stuff, floor etc helps the band themselves but it still encourages us fans to travel around in a way we wouldn't otherwise) - people are understandably going to always try to find a way to catch them out. 

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

The boxes were nearly full as we left and we saw a lot being handed back.

I love how they came out with that nonsense about making tours sustainable (clearly leading the way in this situation would be to not do so - I know the vehicle stuff, floor etc helps the band themselves but it still encourages us fans to travel around in a way we wouldn't otherwise) - people are understandably going to always try to find a way to catch them out. 

7CDECAF0-08A5-4075-9CE2-FDB79017DEED.png

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

they came out with that nonsense about making tours sustainable

It's worth noting they put a lot of expense and work into creating a very comprehensive sustainability and environmental programme around this tour, and it's more in-depth and viable than a lot of corporate business ones I've looked at.

https://sustainability.coldplay.com/