ticket tips and tricks Glastonbury 2024 resales

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I always  connect the PC using an Ethernet cable rather than trust the wireless connection.  . The I pad is also used and the phone is on standby in case I get a message code from the bank to verify the payment if I’m lucky enough to get to that point.   Having said that, years ago I got tickets on my phone whilst on holiday in Jersey! 

Normally I'd have one or two laptops, a phone and an old tablet (need to check it's working actually). That will be my setup for Thursday. On the Sunday I'll only have my phone though!

51 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Normally I'd have one or two laptops, a phone and an old tablet (need to check it's working actually). That will be my setup for Thursday. On the Sunday I'll only have my phone though!

Watch this space, you won't get a look in on Thurs but then bag your ticket in under 30 seconds on Sunday!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Can confirm that this is the worst.

Yes, refresh just next to download, keypad hard to negotiate with shaking hand, blurred vision trying to input everything accurately and the fear that one false move and everything disappears. And of course messages and phone calls arriving at the crucial time.  Give me an old fashioned keyboard any day! 

4 hours ago, clarkete said:

it can be a bit more challenging excitedly putting in several people's details on a small touch screen, so that's worth preparing for. 

The friend who got our groups tickets in 2020 got them doing this. I spend days before hand telling everyone in the group all the little tips and tricks: using a private browser; setting up keyboard shortcuts for reg numbers and postcodes etc. 

He completely forgot/didn’t bother, and had to swap apps between his browser and a Facebook group chat where all the details were listed (he hadn’t even written them down!), but he got the tickets - I didn’t get a sniff - so I basically treated him like a saint for a few weeks.

Luckily he doesn’t use these forums so won’t see me shit-talking him - but James if you do see this get your shit together (unless of course you see this after the sale and you got our tickets - which very well may happen - in that case ignore al of the above.)

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

The friend who got our groups tickets in 2020 got them doing this. I spend days before hand telling everyone in the group all the little tips and tricks: using a private browser; setting up keyboard shortcuts for reg numbers and postcodes etc. 

He completely forgot/didn’t bother, and had to swap apps between his browser and a Facebook group chat where all the details were listed (he hadn’t even written them down!), but he got the tickets - I didn’t get a sniff - so I basically treated him like a saint for a few weeks.

Luckily he doesn’t use these forums so won’t see me shit-talking him - but James if you do see this get your shit together (unless of course you see this after the sale and you got our tickets - which very well may happen - in that case ignore al of the above.)

Sometimes against the odds a plucky trier with a can do attitude can pull through 👍

Hope everyone is doing ok with the nerves given we are only a week and 2 days away.

Trying to get a consensus on a few things. Have tried to read through the thread but can't come to any conclusions here:

Question 1 (Multiple Browsers/ IP 60 second limit):   Based on this thread I think the way it works is that there a multiple load balancing servers which will test the 60 second limit. 

So I was on 5 separate load balancing servers I could potentially have Firefox, Chrome. Edge. Brave, Incognito all running and get 300 refreshes per second (if using an auto-refresh).

The risk with the above is that you could end up on the same load balancing server so you would easily breach the 60 seconds per IP. 

Is the above in anyway accurate or am I just talking crap? 

Question 2 (IP 60 Second Limit for multiple people in same location): Dumb question but if you were trying in an office that normally houses 1000 people and say 10 people were trying in that office, would you be screwed because they are all on the same IP (not withstanding the load balancer point above).  Feels very harsh.

Question 3 (Coach locations): Is there any consensus on the coach locations that people believe are less popular or easier to book than others? London perhaps the easiest because they have so many departure times?

Question 4 (Private Incognitio): Does this make any difference at all? 

Question 5 (IP 60 Second Limit Breach): If you breach this, are you kicked out forever or can you return once you stop pressing F5 for a short period of time?

I think most of the other tips on here are pretty self explanatory (spreadsheets, keyboard shortcuts, available credit, no person in 2 groups etc, keep trying after "sold out")

@parsonjack You seem to have the most knowledge (appreciate you are speculating like the rest) 🙂

Thanks in advance and good luck to all. 

5 minutes ago, mpdow2 said:

Question 3 (Coach locations): Is there any consensus on the coach locations that people believe are less popular or easier to book than others? London perhaps the easiest because they have so many departure times?

id very much doubt that .... it serves the capital and large portions of the most populated areas ... the least popular will be glasgow , edinburgh and Norwich they will be the last to go as they are most difficult to get to and arent enroute to anywhere 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, mpdow2 said:

Hope everyone is doing ok with the nerves given we are only a week and 2 days away.

Trying to get a consensus on a few things. Have tried to read through the thread but can't come to any conclusions here:

Question 1 (Multiple Browsers/ IP 60 second limit):   Based on this thread I think the way it works is that there a multiple load balancing servers which will test the 60 second limit. 

So I was on 5 separate load balancing servers I could potentially have Firefox, Chrome. Edge. Brave, Incognito all running and get 300 refreshes per second (if using an auto-refresh).

The risk with the above is that you could end up on the same load balancing server so you would easily breach the 60 seconds per IP. 

Question 2 (IP 60 Second Limit for multiple people in same location): Dumb question but if you were trying in an office that normally houses 1000 people and say 10 people were trying in that office, would you be screwed because they are all on the same IP (not withstanding the load balancer point above).  Feels very harsh.

Question 5 (IP 60 Second Limit Breach): If you breach this, are you kicked out forever or can you return once you stop pressing F5 for a short period of time?

I think most of the other tips on here are pretty self explanatory (spreadsheets, keyboard shortcuts, available credit, no person in 2 groups etc, keep trying after "sold out")

@parsonjack You seem to have the most knowledge (appreciate you are speculating like the rest) 🙂

Can't answer all these but:

1 - Don't think this would work but not certain, better just using other IPS

2 - You'd get the locked out screen if so - best hope nobody else is trying. If this is the case, you would know so could at least focus on mobile data.

3 - London is massive. 10 million people plus people like me coming from home counties etc. Probably not worth thinking about this kind of thing - just scramble if it comes to it and have planned backups for helpers 🙂 

4 - Extra IP on same device

5 - there's a minute cooldown i think

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gfa said:

Can't answer all these but:

1 - Don't think this would work but not certain, better just using other IPS

2 - You'd get the locked out screen if so - best hope nobody else is trying. If this is the case, you would know so could at least focus on mobile data.

3 - London is massive. 10 million people plus people like me coming from home counties etc. Probably not worth thinking about this kind of thing - just scramble if it comes to it and have planned backups for helpers 🙂 

4 - Extra IP on same device

5 - there's a minute cooldown i think

Thanks. On 4 - are you saying you could do incognito on firefox chrome edge etc and they all have a diff IP meaning you could get 180 refreshes per 60? 

37 minutes ago, mpdow2 said:

Thanks. On 4 - are you saying you could do incognito on firefox chrome edge etc and they all have a diff IP meaning you could get 180 refreshes per 60? 

Actually scrap that it doesn't hide IP so that won't work sorry

2 hours ago, mpdow2 said:

Intrigued on #2 as was going to try in the office. It's a big corporate office so unsure on the IP situation and 60 refresh limit in this scenario. Imagine a fair few will also be trying in the office 

I love this thread and have read every single post. I will be trying my hardest and yes will think carefully about how I can get the technical edge... But...

It really comes down to the fact that I'm going to do the following: throw a twix over my neighbours fence, drink a brothers cider and eat some worthy cheddar (great suggestions a few pages back!)

If that doesn't work I'm going to hit the resale or volunteer (went with water aid last year and loved it!)

Super close everyone, best of luck 🤞

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mpdow2 said:

I think 1, 2 and 5 are covered in some detail here. 

For 3 and 4 I don't think they make any difference - heavily used coach spots have more coaches I believe and incognito might help if you had something dodgy in your cache, but unlikely to make a genuine difference I think. 

11 hours ago, mufcok said:

I'm also intrigued on 2. There'll be two of us trying in the same apartment, 3/4 devices on the Wi-Fi and 1/2 on 4G. Does that mean the devices on Wi-Fi are highly likely to exceed the refresh limit and be locked out, or have I misunderstood?

Pretty much the same setup as me. I've never known about this limit before and never had an issue but I'm a bit paranoid now! 

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

How do you know when you’ve exceeded the refresh limit and been locked out? Fear I may have done this in the past and not realised? 

You'll get a screen that tells you have exceeded the limit pretty sure. Its pretty hard to if you let the page fully load each time + reaction time anyway

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mpdow2 said:

Just catching up on this....

Question 1 - As far as we can determine the system works basically as you suggest, where requests from potential customers are directed in turn via load balancing technology to a number of booking engine servers that allocate sessions if/when available or present the 'busy' page if not.  *IF* it was possible to bypass load-balancing and direct requests to specific servers then you could potentially fire off huge amounts of requests per second by scaling up browsers and devices as you suggest, and yet stay within the 60/minute limit.  The issues here are that a. we don't fully understand whether the rate limiting is via IP, device, a combination of the 2 or otherwise, b. there's no easy way to bypass the load-balancing, c. there are no guarantees that using multiple browsers on a single device contributes to the limiting in the way multiple tabs on same browser does, d. a 1/second refresh rate is probably too quick to know if you have a session before it fires again, and e. it would be nigh impossible to mange such a set up in practice.  

Question 2 - Correct. Load-balancing will remove a degree of risk where multiple devices share the same external IP, but to fully eliminate this the rate-limiting is almost certainly based upon a combination of IP and device identity ie MAC address.  We don't know for sure though.

Question 5 - No/Yes  Breaching the 60/minute limit automatically presents you with the same 'busy' page as when the server is genuinely busy. Subsequent refreshes will keep giving you that 'busy' page until your refresh rate falls below 60/minute.  The rub here is that as it's the same 'busy' page in both circumstances you can't be sure if you have it because the system is genuinely busy, or you have breached the limit.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tj95 said:

Intrigued on #2 as was going to try in the office. It's a big corporate office so unsure on the IP situation and 60 refresh limit in this scenario. Imagine a fair few will also be trying in the office 

13 hours ago, mufcok said:

I'm also intrigued on 2. There'll be two of us trying in the same apartment, 3/4 devices on the Wi-Fi and 1/2 on 4G. Does that mean the devices on Wi-Fi are highly likely to exceed the refresh limit and be locked out, or have I misunderstood?

We simply don't know for certain.  As mentioned above load-balancing will remove some risk of this (where requests from same IP are directed to different servers and therefore count towards separate 'limits'), but my educated guess is that the limiting also takes individual device identity into account, so that devices sharing an IP are separately limited. 

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

How do you know when you’ve exceeded the refresh limit and been locked out? Fear I may have done this in the past and not realised? 

You don't. Exceeding the 60/second limit will automatically present you with the same 'busy' page that you get if the server is genuinely 'busy'.  You're not actually 'locked out', but you'll continue to get this 'fake' busy page until your refresh rate falls below 60/second.  Hammering away on F5 like a lunatic throughout the entire sale is therefore a sure way to end the day empty handed.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, gfa said:

You'll get a screen that tells you have exceeded the limit pretty sure. Its pretty hard to if you let the page fully load each time + reaction time anyway

There's no actual screen that tells you ref exceeding the limit....just the usual 'busy' page, but yes, if you let the page load each time you'll almost certainly stay within the 60/minute.

• Thanks 1