All Points East 2023

gfa

8 minutes ago, NWUYC said:

My view after this year is that it's likely to go back to the 4 day plan... only days that seemed anywhere near capacity were Field Day and Disclosure - though would've been damaged by the strikes on the first two days of course. 

I'll throw my hat in the ring with a potential guess of either Arctic Monkeys or The 1975 to headline one day. 

Monkeys are WAY too big 

I reckon Nine Inch Nails for one of the days

4 minutes ago, NWUYC said:

My view after this year is that it's likely to go back to the 4 day plan... only days that seemed anywhere near capacity were Field Day and Disclosure - though would've been damaged by the strikes on the first two days of course. 

I'll throw my hat in the ring with a potential guess of either Arctic Monkeys or The 1975 to headline one day. 

I think you could be right on the days, but not the acts.

AM won’t do this show. Probably not BST either. The days aimed at a younger generation seem to be the most successful. So expect more dance / grime /  R&B headliners. 

Pulp could be the Indie headliner, then maybe Little Simz if she continues to be as popular as she is. Florence at a push. But probably someone like The Prodigy or Dave is a better shout. 

Also judging by the crowd this year expect The Dinner Party to come back with a decent slot on the bill 

39 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Think some of his actions are sexual assault and at the very least sexual harassment (sending unsolicited pictures). Not as if he'd ever be charged. 

I'd (rightly) lose my job if I did the things Win did, as would most of my friends/people I know. I don't understand why self righteous musicians/athletes/celebrities deem themselves above it. Being in Win's position is a privilege he's lost in my eyes, not everyone gets a chance to do what he does, and when you do, you shouldn't be interacting with fans the way he's done.

I totally agree that he’s a self centred dick. But I also think the power dynamic thing is not 💯 accurate. 
I’ve been around enough bands to see that often the power is with the fandom side of things, especially for characters with mental illness. It’s easy to instigate something and push for what you want, but then when it is not completely what you asked for you feel like you’ve been let down.

Im not advocating, just saying there are two sides to this coin. I’ve said this before but Caroline Flack is the example we should all remember. 

1 minute ago, The Crimson King said:

I totally agree that he’s a self centred dick. But I also think the power dynamic thing is not 💯 accurate. 
I’ve been around enough bands to see that often the power is with the fandom side of things, especially for characters with mental illness. It’s easy to instigate something and push for what you want, but then when it is not completely what you asked for you feel like you’ve been let down.

Im not advocating, just saying there are two sides to this coin. I’ve said this before but Caroline Flack is the example we should all remember. 

Just to clarify, I’m talking about performers with mental illness. Not fans

5 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

As tragic as it is, I don't see what Caroline Flack's passing has to do with this. I would blame the horrible UK tabloids and social media for what happened to her.

Win has used his position of power to get what he wants, whether he thinks it or not, it is exploitative to engage in the activities he has with fans/people who look up to him. It's the same dynamic why a lecturer can't be having relationships with students even if they're both consenting adults, the dynamic is wrong.

1 minute ago, scatteredscreens said:

As tragic as it is, I don't see what Caroline Flack's passing has to do with this. I would blame the horrible UK tabloids and social media for what happened to her.

Win has used his position of power to get what he wants, whether he thinks it or not, it is exploitative to engage in the activities he has with fans/people who look up to him. It's the same dynamic why a lecturer can't be having relationships with students even if they're both consenting adults, the dynamic is wrong.

She was accused of physical assault by the police. The pressure of the judgement from people in the press and other places like this was too much for her before anything had been proven in court, and whilst she was already suffering from mental health issues. All I’m saying is it’s not our place to judge, that’s what courts are for.

1 minute ago, The Crimson King said:

She was accused of physical assault by the police. The pressure of the judgement from people in the press and other places like this was too much for her before anything had been proven in court, and whilst she was already suffering from mental health issues. All I’m saying is it’s not our place to judge, that’s what courts are for.

And what about people who will slip through the cracks of court and not get charged? What then? Can I not judge Win for the actions he has done? Because in my eyes they are completely wrong. 

Also, other places like this? eFests? People are simply saying this guy shouldn't be performing in this capacity anymore, check out the Arcade Fire tour thread, lots of people aren't asking for his head on a stick, simply that they cancel the shows as they feel uncomfortable to attend.

I suspect most of us went to university will remember an instance of a usually much older male lecturer having a relationship with a young female student of his.

Looking back, it was as exploitative as some of Butler’s alleged behaviour.

I still think it would ideally be the job of the law to determine what the appropriate punishment or sanction is and not left to concert promoters or the court of public judgement.

In practice anyone in the public eye does usually suffer damage to their livelihood for legal but deeply immoral behaviour, which isn’t the case for Joe Bloggs.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Whilst it looks bad agreed and potentially even illegal (albeit unlikely to result in any jail time), do you really believe that he should never be allowed to work again in his chosen field? 

Not necessarily, but I don’t believe anybody should be tipping up to see him in any case. Makes his actions, non-apology, and cowering behind ‘I lost my way’ crap kind of OK if he’s subsequently able to revert to a previous reputation.  

They’re a terrible band in my book so wouldn’t go see them anyway, but saw Ryan Adams a whole load of times and would never go again after what he got up to. How can anyone square that shit off?!

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

I suspect most of us went to university will remember an instance of a usually much older male lecturer having a relationship with a young female student of his.

Looking back, it was as exploitative as some of Butler’s alleged behaviour.

I still think it would ideally be the job of the law to determine what the appropriate punishment or sanction is and not left to concert promoters or the court of public judgement.

In practice anyone in the public eye does usually suffer damage to their livelihood for legal but deeply immoral behaviour, which isn’t the case for Joe Bloggs.

hmmm music is a personal, objective thing. If someone turns out to be a degenerate scumbag like Win has, then he will suffer the consequences of his actions

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stereodista said:

Not necessarily, but I don’t believe anybody should be tipping up to see him in any case. Makes his actions, non-apology, and cowering behind ‘I lost my way’ crap kind of OK if he’s subsequently able to revert to a previous reputation.  

They’re a terrible band in my book so wouldn’t go see them anyway, but saw Ryan Adams a whole load of times and would never go again after what he got up to. How can anyone square that shit off?!

Yep to a lot of that.

Ryan Adams' alleged behaviour was a whole level worse IMO - direct psychological/mental abuse of his victims too.

19 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yep to a lot of that.

Ryan Adams' alleged behaviour was a whole level worse IMO - direct psychological/mental abuse of his victims too.

For sure, both awful. 

Personal opinion is these sorts of men should be binned off indefinitely when these sorts of things surface, but that’s just my take. 

2 hours ago, OllieR said:

Could see Florence, haim, jack white and bicep (not sure if it’s too soon) headlining days 

Bicep likely doing a year off i think, been touring very heavily

---

New Order / Orbital maybe as options too

On 8/29/2022 at 10:00 PM, gfa said:

What do we reckon then? 2 weekends still or maybe a 4 day bank holiday one. Back to end of may / june ?

a lot remains to be seen i think! hoping for Pulp or someone not touring much. I could see Massive Attack returning

I believe that the park events are up for tender so dates will probably be decided by whoever wins the tender and the 2 weekends/4 day decision will be based on what is requested in the tender