Wide Awake 2023

Quacky Mouse

2 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

Not familiar with the headliner but some nice additions on there, shaping up to be a fun one. To anybody that has been before is there anybody on at the same time as the headliner?

Bicep on the Friday had nothing against them last year, Primal Scream on the Saturday had a bunch of other stuff up against them, and since it's only a single day this year I think it'll probably be closer to how Saturday looked. It depends how filled out they're making the programme really.

6 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Disappointing headliner considering she's got her own London show just three months before and seems to have been everywhere the past couple of years anyway.

She's an incredible live act and hopefully should have her 2nd album out by then so it's not that weak a booking imo. Plus the undercard has some great acts like OPN, Jockstrap, Osees etc. I will say the festival does seem to have shifted into a lot more electronic acts this year which might put off some people. Definitely looking more and more like mid 2010s - Field Day, which isn't a bad thing!

Just now, scatteredscreens said:

She's an incredible live act and hopefully should have her 2nd album out by then so it's not that weak a booking imo. Plus the undercard has some great acts like OPN, Jockstrap, Osees etc. I will say the festival does seem to have shifted into a lot more electronic acts this year which might put off some people. Definitely looking more and more like mid 2010s - Field Day, which isn't a bad thing!

My reasoning for it being weak is that she's literally playing London a couple of months before, and hasn't even managed to sell that out. I don't think it's a name that will spur many people on to buy tickets compared to what they had last year.

It does seem like more of a Field Day-of-old lineup which is maybe the way they're moving, but I suppose they only have a day to play with this year so electronic stuff is a bit easier logistically. I'll probably pick up a resale or freebie nearer the time but there's only a couple of acts so far I'd be pumped to see.

Just now, jannybruck said:

My reasoning for it being weak is that she's literally playing London a couple of months before, and hasn't even managed to sell that out. I don't think it's a name that will spur many people on to buy tickets compared to what they had last year.

It does seem like more of a Field Day-of-old lineup which is maybe the way they're moving, but I suppose they only have a day to play with this year so electronic stuff is a bit easier logistically. I'll probably pick up a resale or freebie nearer the time but there's only a couple of acts so far I'd be pumped to see.

Who cares if it sells it out or not if it's a quality act, which she is. I'd sooner have Caroline than Primal Scream.

Probably a better booking for you if you're trying for a freebie!

8 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Who cares if it sells it out or not if it's a quality act, which she is. I'd sooner have Caroline than Primal Scream.

Probably a better booking for you if you're trying for a freebie!

I mean if it doesn't sell out then there won't be the festival this year which is bad for people who enjoy the undercard?

15 minutes ago, evilduck said:

I’m not familiar with Caroline polachek at all, will have to listen to her. 
Still, I got an early bird ticket for Ty Segall, Osees, Gilla Band and A Place To Bury Strangers. If I can see all of those without clashes it will be a good day!

Amen to this- worth the price just to see those 4

I think it's  better that they're not trying to get big headliners, and are instead focusing on curating a lineup that's great throughout. I mean in the first year the "headliner" was Shame, they're hardly a huge name either. They had Bicep and Primal Scream this year but they were also touring extensively - think PS had two other London festival shows.

Besides, Caroline is great. D‎‎a‎b up hairiest daughter

1 hour ago, Enkidu said:

Festivals don't need to sell out to break even or make a profit.

Fair enough - its definitely better to just not sell out than sell out month in advance after spending £££ on a headliner i guess.

Promising festival

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Fair enough - its definitely better to just not sell out than sell out month in advance after spending £££ on a headliner i guess.

Promising festival

It certainly does need a few more names to balance it out, and the price needs to be right. I've noted now that the second tier of early bird is 40 quid, I think anymore than 50 is a bit expensive for what you're getting.

That's gone up a bit! We paid £29.50 a ticket in September!

I must admit I was slightly disappointed that was the headliner but then remembered I quite enjoyed the bit I saw from Glastonbury (after missing her there) on the telly, so one to delve in to listening to a bit more before next year. 

59 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

Erol alkan, Avery, OSEES, APTBS, ty segall all worth the admission alone. 

Must admit I've never heard of the headliner and had a listen and it sounds very bland mainstream pop? Maybe it comes across different live but didn't seem like a normal wide awake booking. 

You might know her band Chairlift, which disbanded in 2017?  Anyway, she is an extremely well regarded Art-Pop artist with a brilliant voice.  Her album Pang was released in 2019 to much acclaim (she realised one prior to this but it didn’t get much of a reception, as it was not widely available and it’s an ambient album).  I’d recommend checking out Door and So Hot You’re Hurting My Feelings - both singles were pretty massive in 2019, particularly SHYHMF.

I agree it’s a change in style for a headliner. My view is that she is much better than the previous headliners they’ve had though.  There are somewhat similar artists on this year’s line up (Shygirl and Coucoe Chloe) so it’s probably a slight shift in booking strategy - or perhaps they just don’t want to book high quality and varied acts each year and not be pigeonholed into a certain style, which is fair enough.

Edited by lessthanwill1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

Erol alkan, Avery, OSEES, APTBS, ty segall all worth the admission alone. 

Must admit I've never heard of the headliner and had a listen and it sounds very bland mainstream pop? Maybe it comes across different live but didn't seem like a normal wide awake booking. 

I'm not sure what mainstream pop sounds like 'Billions' or 'Ocean of Tears'.

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

You might know her band Chairlift, which disbanded in 2017?  Anyway, she is an extremely well regarded Art-Pop artist with a brilliant voice.  Her album Pang was released in 2019 to much acclaim (she realised one prior to this but it didn’t get much of a reception, as it was not widely available and it’s an ambient album).  I’d recommend checking out Door and So Hot You’re Hurting My Feelings - both singles were pretty massive in 2019, particularly SHYHMF.

I agree it’s a change in style for a headliner. My view is that she is much better than the previous headliners they’ve had though.  There are somewhat similar artists on this year’s line up (Shygirl and Coucoe Chloe) so it’s probably a slight shift in booking strategy - or perhaps they just don’t want to book high quality and varied acts each year and not be pigeonholed into a certain style, which is fair enough.

Ignore the “don’t” here haha - typo! 

2 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

it's a bit cheaper on the wideawake website then currently

edit: scratch that they've clearly bumped it up this morning

Still some cheap(er) tickets on See Tickets here

Oneohtrix Point Never is an interesting booking. He's great live, but outdoors with the sound issues WA have....Looking forward to it anyway!

Edited by pedrogooch

16 minutes ago, pedrogooch said:

Still some cheap(er) tickets on See Tickets here

Oneohtrix Point Never is an interesting booking. He's great live, but outdoors with the sound issues WA have....Looking forward to it anyway!

Presumably he's headlining the main tent against Polachek, it just wouldn't work outdoors.

Edited by jannybruck