Areas you would cut to save money

Hugh Jass II

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Only like Victorious or Tramlines which are in city centres ... taking away camping would be a complete pisstake.

Charging people to camp in better spots though would probably open up a decent revenue stream (or like 1hr early bird tickets). Cannot see either happening though.

Yeah im not saying its ideal  but im thinking something like - festival ticket £320. Festival including camping £370. Most people would camp but on some subliminal level the price is still 320quid plus extra 

Like car parking (almost)

I said in the other thread but my first call wouldn't be necessarily to remove stages but try to combine some together.  It must be a massive expense to have the late night stages empty all day, and the day stages not doing anything in an evening. 

BBC introducing closes at 8pm . Left field closes at 10, Avalon closes midnight. Downlow opens at 10, IICON opens at 8, temple opens at 10. 

It would take some imaginative programming but there's no real reason you couldn't have BBC introducing in the rum shack until 8, or the Avalon stage turn into the Rum shack programming. 

Similar to Greenpeace and how they transition from day time by the stage and at a certain point everyone turns round and faces djs in the tree. One set of speakers and sound guys must save money? 

Edited by Leyrulion

2 hours ago, danmarks said:

If anything it will be more pre paid camping? Or start charging for camping? I know it is in the price anyway but knock 50quid off for no camping cos youll have pre booked (cos where it is there's no other option) and camping is an 'extra' rather than a given. Like many other festivals already tbh

But encouraging people not to camp brings its own problems in the logistics of car parking for day visitors and local traffic.

Not sure how you’d police it either. Get a discount for not bringing in a tent and then sleep in a mate’s tent. Other fests do it by having the camping areas separate with security / wristbands at the gates.

47 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I said in the other thread but my first call wouldn't be necessarily to remove stages but try to combine some together.  It must be a massive expense to have the late night stages empty all day, and the day stages not doing anything in an evening. 

BBC introducing closes at 8pm . Left field closes at 10, Avalon closes midnight. Downlow opens at 10, IICON opens at 8, temple opens at 10. 

It would take some imaginative programming but there's no real reason you couldn't have BBC introducing in the rum shack until 8, or the Avalon stage turn into the Rum shack programming. 

Similar to Greenpeace and how they transition from day time by the stage and at a certain point everyone turns round and faces djs in the tree. One set of speakers and sound guys must save money? 

The tree had djs in the day, I watched Oh my god its the church - sexy jesus set haha

6 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

I would get rid of the pier, it looks great but doesn't add anything, takes up premium camping space and must cost a fortune to set up and take down.

I would also lose one of the theatre and circus tents.

However I would rather the festival didn't start cutting stuff (not without a replacement)

Aside from the need to cut things to save costs, the Pier is a mis-step anyway imo. Think it adds very little to few people and takes up loads of space. Seems a shite addition.

33 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Aside from the need to cut things to save costs, the Pier is a mis-step anyway imo. Think it adds very little to few people and takes up loads of space. Seems a shite addition.

I'll keep banging the drum but if they combined it with Arcadia somehow that would be cool. 

Wonder onto the pier in the day, have the dancing robots in the helicopter and at night it lights up and there's just a huge rave under a pier. 

Edited by Leyrulion

11 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Haven’t read but I’m expecting most people are saying silver hayes. I don’t think it should be cut, and it was much cooler this year, but it feels like an area of the festival most people here do not spend their time.

I like Silver Hayes, but its changed pretty drastically this year. Way more dj's than live bands. Thats easily a cost thing. Lonely Hearts Club stage needs to not be next to the set of long drops in that area. And Sam Remo was cool. Went to BBC Intro a couple times which I didnt in 2017. 

Would def take out the Pier cause thats a lot of money and effort put forth into something thats just a little offshoot of Theatre and Circus and in a spot that could help The Park deal with their own issues. Like Stonebridge is not fun at all when half the people are outside just listening and cant see anything. Its strange that now theres too many people and not enough room for certain things to be enjoyable when it felt that there was all the room in the world before. If there was something in SE Corner then you reboot the Downlow somehow. As its been mentioned it feels like this version has run its course and its just stale. Maybe make a new version of the Downlow in Arcadia instead? And Genosys is supposed to come back in its old form? Maybe even make IICON the new Arcadia. Thats def something in the SE corner that would warrant potentially more space and its still a new installation which you wont get tired with yet.

In the end, even if you cut stuff, costs are going to rise one way or another. Lets be glad they can still get away with paying everyone such small fees or we would really be feeling it on the ticket price. This is the kind of thing that concerns me if they do come into some sort of financial crunch and with Melvin Benn back in the fold its the opening that Live Nation has been waiting for and you certainly dont want that wolf to get into the henhouse.

Edited by Suprefan

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

This is the kind of thing that concerns me if they do come into some sort of financial crunch and with Melvin Benn back in the fold its the opening that Live Nation has been waiting for and you certainly dont want that wolf to get into the henhouse.

I've pointed this out several times before, but Live Nation already had a representative involved for the last however many years without any of this scaremongering or it even attracting attention. Melvin directly replaced Paul Latham, who prior to his retirement was even higher up within LN:UK. Melvin just happens to be more well known to the public due to being the face of the FR festivals and so people actually noticed it.

13 hours ago, MaxPower said:

This is mad, it was hugely popular and absolutely rammed from 5pm Thursday until the end of the festival? 

source: I saw maybe 10 acts there.

I totally agree with you. 

San Remo was one of the massive improvements of the year.   People are just calling for things they don't like to be removed. It's all subjective, apart from Glastonbury on Sea - which we all agree is a pile of unnecessary steel shit. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

I totally agree with you. 

San Remo was one of the massive improvements of the year.   People are just calling for things they don't like to be removed. It's all subjective, apart from Glastonbury on Sea - which we all agree is a pile of unnecessary steel shit. 

I appier to be one of the only ones to like it … but it also seems like it’s busy when I’ve walked past it 

3 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I like the pier, but I’m not sure if it brings much to the festival 

Would be interesting to see the cost of some of these things … materials would already be brought … Labour done by farm hands in advance ? So not sure the costs would be massive … it also has minimal ongoing performance entertainment? It’s a creative addition to me similar to some of the other sculptures around the place 

13 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I appier to be one of the only ones to like it … but it also seems like it’s busy when I’ve walked past it 

I only went on it a couple of times, mainly due to pier pressure.  Buoy was it rubbish.

• Like 1

Just now, stuie said:

I only went on it a couple of times, mainly due to pier pressure.  Buoy was it rubbish.

Punishment is walking the plank off the end into pennards … actually reminds me that they were supposed to have some prehired blue tents below it I think , don’t think they ever materialised though 

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Not sure about that. I've seen crews working on the construction in the days leading up to the event, didn't look like farmhands to me.

Hmm thought most of the earlier prep work work that was done in advance was by the farm hands … like the pyramid maybe it gets passed over to others