Areas you would cut to save money

Hugh Jass II

2 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I have all the feelings about San Remo but I dont think it should be cut, just moved into Silver Hayes or somewhere else. It is a real noise pollutant where it is and causes log jams getting past it.

Was the NOS situation better than beat hotel … seemed like it walking past but I don’t think I went in … think that’s been an issue for you on the past 

7 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I like Silver Hayes, but its changed pretty drastically this year. Way more dj's than live bands. Thats easily a cost thing. Lonely Hearts Club stage needs to not be next to the set of long drops in that area. And Sam Remo was cool. Went to BBC Intro a couple times which I didnt in 2017. 

Would def take out the Pier cause thats a lot of money and effort put forth into something thats just a little offshoot of Theatre and Circus and in a spot that could help The Park deal with their own issues. Like Stonebridge is not fun at all when half the people are outside just listening and cant see anything. Its strange that now theres too many people and not enough room for certain things to be enjoyable when it felt that there was all the room in the world before. If there was something in SE Corner then you reboot the Downlow somehow. As its been mentioned it feels like this version has run its course and its just stale. Maybe make a new version of the Downlow in Arcadia instead? And Genosys is supposed to come back in its old form? Maybe even make IICON the new Arcadia. Thats def something in the SE corner that would warrant potentially more space and its still a new installation which you wont get tired with yet.

In the end, even if you cut stuff, costs are going to rise one way or another. Lets be glad they can still get away with paying everyone such small fees or we would really be feeling it on the ticket price. This is the kind of thing that concerns me if they do come into some sort of financial crunch and with Melvin Benn back in the fold its the opening that Live Nation has been waiting for and you certainly dont want that wolf to get into the henhouse.

From what i gather there is no way in hell Arcadia is moving back to the SE Corner.

This year should have a new Genosys

IICON is succesful, its not going anywhere for a while

I think without knowing what are the real costs are it's impossible to say. I think the best suggestions for me have been to see if you could either get some more artists who would do 2 for the price of 1 reducing performer costs and giving less clashes, simply reducing the number of acts on some stages by starting 30 minutes later and having a few extra minutes gap between acts or reducing some of the stages by having some double up from day into night venues. ie BBC introducing into something else at night. 

Things like the pier I suspect the costs are already incurred and I quite like it. There are plenty of areas that I don't really like and don't visit but I wouldn't want to cut them as they clearly are liked by others and the great joy of Glastonbury is the variety. 

Edited by gigpusher

it seems glaringly obvious to me: there's absolutely buttloads of dance stuff to do after about midnight, and it all appears to my uneducated ears to be more or less the same, just in a different place. Yeah, you can drone on at me about the difference between hard house and techno all you like, but i could not give a single shite. There's just too much of it. (and little jungle or kickass drum n bass, which i could quite happily get into!) 

I really liked having the Earache express because it was a little haven of metal among a festival that scarcely recognises it exists, so losing that as an option this year really fucking sucked: so lose some of the dance stuff to save money!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

it seems glaringly obvious to me: there's absolutely buttloads of dance stuff to do after about midnight, and it all appears to my uneducated ears to be more or less the same, just in a different place. Yeah, you can drone on at me about the difference between hard house and techno all you like, but i could not give a single shite. There's just too much of it. (and little jungle or kickass drum n bass, which i could quite happily get into!) 

I really liked having the Earache express because it was a little haven of metal among a festival that scarcely recognises it exists, so losing that as an option this year really fucking sucked: so lose some of the dance stuff to save money!

Walk through the SE corner at 3am and you will see they can't bin stuff off. Its all may be 'the same' but its also all rammed. Each dance stage can't fit nearly as many people as one of the main 5 can

Just now, gfa said:

Walk through the SE corner at 3am and you will see they can't bin stuff off. Its all may be 'the same' but its also all rammed. Each dance stage can't fit nearly as many people as one of the main 5 can

Yeah but its not what i, specifically just me, want 🤣 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, gfa said:

Plus the SE corner actually have bands on until 5am - Truth Stage and The Diner.

20 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

There's little drum and bass? 

Really?

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Hmm thought most of the earlier prep work work that was done in advance was by the farm hands … like the pyramid maybe it gets passed over to others 

Pyramid, and some of the site infrastructure like Long Drops etc yes.

Pier? Don't think so. Area specific build stuff tends to be organised by the area.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Pyramid, and some of the site infrastructure like Long Drops etc yes.

Pier? Don't think so. Area specific build stuff tends to be organised by the area.

I used to be on the long drop team. The base plates were in position, we would construct the rest, sides, doors etc.

Our "boss" sold the contract to Tracy, who used to be on the site crew. She died a good few years back. Don't know who does it now.

7 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I used to be on the long drop team. The base plates were in position, we would construct the rest, sides, doors etc.

Our "boss" sold the contract to Tracy, who used to be on the site crew. She died a good few years back. Don't know who does it now.

As I said, it's done by farm hands these days, hence they go up in March or April way ahead of most of the build.

The easy one is to stop.burning all that money on the fireworks. All the stages can remain intact with that saving.  Having said that the cabaret could just become WOW as it was a pretty soul destroying place to end the evening in this year - the joys of a tosspot right wing funny man* questioning why he wasn't in fact cancelled from Glasto was a definite lowlight.

* I mean very unfunny man

7 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Was the NOS situation better than beat hotel … seemed like it walking past but I don’t think I went in … think that’s been an issue for you on the past 

Barely seen a soul doing Nos in there this year. It was actually the place (other than the BBC tent) that I saw security being the most active and present.

7 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Lmao little jungle and drum and bass, are you joking? There’s fucking loads of that. 

there obviously isn’t too much of late night dance music though, given every single dance venue is fucking rammed. Plus, DJs are comparatively cheap due to low production values. 

9 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Barely seen a soul doing Nos in there this year. It was actually the place (other than the BBC tent) that I saw security being the most active and present.

Barely saw anyone doing NOS anywhere.

We were waiting for Diana when we heard the familiar hiss and my mate remarked “there’s a sound we haven’t heard all weekend”.

9 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Lmao little jungle and drum and bass, are you joking? There’s fucking loads of that. 

there obviously isn’t too much of late night dance music though, given every single dance venue is fucking rammed. Plus, DJs are comparatively cheap due to low production values. 

Depends on the stage regarding production. Its more an equipment thing. If all you have to do is rent 2 pairs of CDJ's for everyone then thats nothing in your budget and you can spend on some lighting and screens if youre able to. But talent wise I doubt most of the dj's are getting a big check and they all usually perform multiple times across the weekend. Bet you Four Tet only got the fee to headline the park and then just did Arcadia,  bbc intro and funkingham cause he loves to dj. Anyone think Ed Sheeran took a sack of money home when he wasnt well known and performed at every stage that would give him 20 minutes to play 10 years ago?

15 hours ago, Fingerbobs said:

The easy one is to stop.burning all that money on the fireworks. All the stages can remain intact with that saving.  Having said that the cabaret could just become WOW as it was a pretty soul destroying place to end the evening in this year - the joys of a tosspot right wing funny man* questioning why he wasn't in fact cancelled from Glasto was a definite lowlight.

* I mean very unfunny man

Who was that?