Green Man sells out in record time - what does this mean for November Glasto ticket sale?

billum

So Green Man has just sold out on the first day of issue for the first time ever. Ticketline operated a new system that involved queueing (well, a timing-out holding page) a bit like the See Tickets Glasto system, again for the first time ever.

Some of us here have been talking up the possibility that the demand for Glasto tickets in November could be a little easier this year due to everyone being a bit squeezed financially. Does this record-breaking sellout suggest the opposite?

Were there other reasons that Green Man proved so popular this time?

What do we think?

1 minute ago, billum said:

So Green Man has just sold out on the first day of issue for the first time ever. Ticketline operated a new system that involved queueing (well, a timing-out holding page) a bit like the See Tickets Glasto system, again for the first time ever.

Some of us here have been talking up the possibility that the demand for Glasto tickets in November could be a little easier this year due to everyone being a bit squeezed financially. Does this record-breaking sellout suggest the opposite?

Were there other reasons that Green Man proved so popular this time?

What do we think?

Green Man has been growing in popularity for years from what I gather.

Anyone who thinks glasto is going to be much easier than usual is kidding themself - its not like everyone on here won't be putting 110% of their resources into the sale anyway!

Might be worth mentioning as well this was the full whack ticket cost for GM, not a deposit (though there is a deposit scheme available which may have taken some sales). The cost now some people might be able to survive with but in a few months time if things are going the way they are the April payment window will be a real kicker.

Again though, even someone on limited funds may chose to go to glastonbury as their 'holiday' or treat by budgeting, it's what I did for my first festival.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Must be some festival, the prices are outrageous, esp live-ins being around £200.

Makes Glastonbury seem like an amazing bargain - dependent on next years prices of course.

It's a phenomenal festival 

Prices are very good value for money if you ask me

Imagine the live ins are expensive due to the scarcity of space on site, it's tiny 

I'm not expecting much change in November for Glasto, the only thing being, if normally a million people try for 150k tickets, then because of the rising costs, there might only be 750k trying.

It'll be sold out within 20 mins still. 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

if normally a million people try for 150k tickets

thats a big if .... Michael will deliberately be making demand seem inflated ... thats sensible practice . if those numbers drop it will mean fewer people miss out and it might be slightly easier .... even if it does sell out quickly 

Edited by Crazyfool01

7 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

thats a big if .... Michael will deliberately be making demand seem inflated ... thats sensible practice . if those numbers drop it will mean fewer people miss out and it might be slightly easier .... even if it does sell out quickly 

Sure, those figures could be inflated, I just plucked them out of thin air to support my sentiment, that even if there's a "drop" in demand, we probably won't even be aware of that drop because they'll be enough trying regardless for the tickets to sell out in under half an hour.

Ticketline's inadequate website seemed to be the main obstacle to buying Green Man tickets, while Glasto has many hurdles to combat touting. You can buy 20 tickets per order for Green Man - I wonder how many are going to be sold on?  I suspect this morning's scramble wasn't all just desperate festival-goers.

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Sure, those figures could be inflated, I just plucked them out of thin air to support my sentiment, that even if there's a "drop" in demand, we probably won't even be aware of that drop because they'll be enough trying regardless for the tickets to sell out in under half an hour.

Website might be easier to access and they might actually sell quicker depending on what they limit it to ? Even if demand is lower 

Glasto is still going to sell out in < 30 mins.

For every person that feels they can't afford it next year, there's another waiting in the wings. 

You still need to exercise your F5 fingers.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Glasto is still going to sell out in < 30 mins.

For every person that feels they can't afford it next year, there's another waiting in the wings. 

You still need to exercise your F5 fingers.

but reduced demand will help those that still want to go .... it will just mean that fewer people fight over each ticket ... thats the point im making .... people are burying heads in the sand if they don't think this shit will impact festivals when its hitting everything else 

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

but reduced demand will help those that still want to go .... it will just mean that fewer people fight over each ticket ... thats the point im making .... people are burying heads in the sand if they don't think this shit will impact festivals when its hitting everything else 

But there’s no way of knowing if there’s reduced demand. 

Sure cost of living will effect a lot of people, but it also won’t effect a shit load as well. 

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

There's no doubt it will mean reduced demand.   Sadly, it will disproportionately affect those on lower incomes, just like everything else.  That doesn't mean it won't still sell out in the usual amount of time though. 

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Reduced demand will help some. But if the demand still exceeds supply, then there's always going to be people who miss out.

At which point, it's hardly worth worrying about whether demand is 120%, or 200%, or 500%. It's very likely to be over 100%, and so anyone going for tickets should treat this like any other year.

1 minute ago, incident said:

and so anyone going for tickets should treat this like any other year

yeah totally agree on this ...... even without fuel prices , the mortgage issue is going to leave a lot of people in middle income brackets with far less disposable income ... so its not just the very low paid that might think twice 

Just now, DareToDibble said:

I still think it's going to be as difficult as ever, if not moreso. For every person that rules themselves out due to cost of living there will be new people who have never tried before. Still think the number of people trying on ticket day will be just as high.

thats the same every year though .... now we have people being priced out added in .... absolutely no chance of demand being higher 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

thats the same every year though .... now we have people being priced out added in .... absolutely no chance of demand being higher 

Maybe you're right. 

I'm sure that the incredible weather of this years festival will have seen a huge surge in new registrations etc. We could really have done with a 2016 type shitshow to put off the casuals 😄