2024 Festival

Chad888

3 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:

General admission tickets just went live, £327 for an early bird! I paid £220 for an early bird last week with the loyalty scheme. 

They must have a decent lineup planned if they hope to shift tickets at that price after then sales this year

17 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Green Day x YUNGBLUD 

My Chemical Romance x Fall Out Boy 

Blink-182 x Paramore 

The year of the reject. 

Reckon that would sell really well and redefine the festival audiencewise, if they did want to move away from the 'Rite of passage' focus

12 minutes ago, Benj said:

Reckon that would sell really well and redefine the festival audiencewise, if they did want to move away from the 'Rite of passage' focus

But the Rite of passage has always been this festival.

20 years ago when we were teens, teen counter culture was the rock music, when the entirety of what we listened to was either CDs or Kerrang FM. There was no other methods and you'd grow your hair long and go for the emo fringe because you didn't want to conform.

Now the politicians all talk about how their favourite band is Arctic Monkeys or Razorhead, and the indie rock movement is done. The counter culture is Digga D, Central Cee, Dave singing f**k the Tories. It isn't Enter Shikari getting cut off for saying f**k the water companies for polluting rivers, because tik tok doesn't tell us to hate that.

Counter culture is a group of 17 year olds doing Reading after a week in Ibiza popping pills and watching mainstream TV TOWIE, Geordie Shore, Made in Chelsea, Love Island, Ex on the Beach (I've got no idea if those shows are still things btw), whilst listening to some Spotify AI generated playlist.

R&L will focus on the what they think the kids will like, but as we get older, adults lose any connection with the youth, and the younger employees don't really understand wider audiences.

RATM was FR supreme pick in 2022 but barely sold day tickets. Bands like Killers, Greenday etc will never bring in crowds like we like to think they would. Bland Fender sold the most day tickets this year. Kids like what they are exposed to whilst still thinking they're unique, whatever R1 tells them to like, they like.

Edited by Chad888

Green Day x YUNGBLUD 

Blink-182 x Paramore 

The year of the reject. 

Since there’s no other UK festival that could put together this lineup it would probably do really well, and get rid of the bellend attendees in the process. Win win.

14 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

To a certain extent yes, it was never the SOLE focus though, which is now what people believe it has become.

The desperate loyalty scheme shows that they now know they've haemoridged returnees and need them back. Their tickets can be subsidised as they will make that money back and more on site.

It was never solely a right of passage as you could see from bookings made, they've properly shot themselves in the foot focussing solely on this market and I very much expect the lineup and other changes this year aimed at getting people back and more importantly first timers returning.

You can't make money running Reading festival selling tickets to only jobless teens, if counter culture has changed, then the festival will need to change...

19 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Green Day x YUNGBLUD 

Blink-182 x Paramore 

The year of the reject. 

As good as it would be, it's probably as unlikely as I would see it. Be the best top lines they've had for years though. 

I'm fairly sure they are ruled out but FF tour announcement in America ends the weekend before Reading. 

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

20 years ago when we were teens, teen counter culture was the rock music, when the entirety of what we listened to was either CDs or Kerrang FM. There was no other methods and you'd grow your hair long and go for the emo fringe because you didn't want to conform.

Now the politicians all talk about how their favourite band is Arctic Monkeys or Razorhead, and the indie rock movement is done. The counter culture is Digga D, Central Cee, Dave singing f**k the Tories. It isn't Enter Shikari getting cut off for saying f**k the water companies for polluting rivers, because tik tok doesn't tell us to hate that.

Counter culture is a group of 17 year olds doing Reading after a week in Ibiza popping pills and watching mainstream TV TOWIE, Geordie Shore, Made in Chelsea, Love Island, Ex on the Beach (I've got no idea if those shows are still things btw), whilst listening to some Spotify AI generated playlist.

R&L will focus on the what they think the kids will like, but as we get older, adults lose any connection with the youth, and the younger employees don't really understand wider audiences.

RATM was FR supreme pick in 2022 but barely sold day tickets. Bands like Killers, Greenday etc will never bring in crowds like we like to think they would. Bland Fender sold the most day tickets this year. Kids like what they are exposed to whilst still thinking they're unique, whatever R1 tells them to like, they like.

This is the most boomer thing I’ve ever read on this site. Jesus Christ, man. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This is the most boomer thing I’ve ever read on this site. Jesus Christ, man. 

You think? 

I'd say Benjs post is more Boomer, about the how the festival should stop catering to the young rites of passage, and start catering to the older people.

Mine explaining that it will always be a rite of passage festival, except the way those kids experience and encounter music is wildly different to how we used to get it, so the counter culture Rite of passage has completely shifted to something else, is not boomer.

I then commented that the counter culture has completely been hijacked by corporate overlords, using it to push their narrative products, and that actual counter culture "f**k the system" types will have their voice cut out by the machine that gatekeeps, ala Enter Shikari in 2021.

On 10/1/2023 at 1:00 PM, wro_lap said:

I mean, the assignment was to pick who I personally want to see, was it not?

My mistake didn't see that bit just viewed most recent post

On 10/1/2023 at 1:47 PM, Chad888 said:

Kanye is a tough one.

There is no way he'd be booked, he is far to erratic just not turning up to shows and events and that would absolutely be the final nail in R&L coffin.

It's also not nice watching a man get cast out of society because he has a mental illness. The amount of terrible sh*t that people with tourettes say, its a slippery slope to cancel people based on those things.

In that whole Hitler moment, aside from the head in my hands "what the f**k are you doing" feeling, the entire world then instantly took the side of the company that is using literal government run child kidnapping slavery centres, because they worship a different faith to the government mandated one. 

In that situation, I'd side over the mentally ill man that doesn't necessarily have much control over what he's doing, compared to that corporation using child slave labour.

Problematic to me are people like Drake, and R Kelly. Both child abusing predators.

Insane you started with the fact he pulls out a lot rather than the anti semitism......

20 hours ago, Chad888 said:

What 17 year old can afford ibiza ffs

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

You think? 

I'd say Benjs post is more Boomer, about the how the festival should stop catering to the young rites of passage, and start catering to the older people.

Mine explaining that it will always be a rite of passage festival, except the way those kids experience and encounter music is wildly different to how we used to get it, so the counter culture Rite of passage has completely shifted to something else, is not boomer.

I then commented that the counter culture has completely been hijacked by corporate overlords, using it to push their narrative products, and that actual counter culture "f**k the system" types will have their voice cut out by the machine that gatekeeps, ala Enter Shikari in 2021.

I didn’t say they should stop catering for it, only it shouldn’t be what seems to have become their sole focus. My main point was they need to ensure the Rite of Passage people return the next year, something, looking at the footage from Leeds, utterly fell through...

The festival has always been a zeitgeist festival, not something aimed specifically at 16 year olds… A much wider demographic used to go to as it was a good music festival, underpinned by youthful exuberance. You now have people in their early 20s put off camping due to the a undance of teens and lack of their own peers…

As ever the lineup reduction is what’s caused all the grief. They can no longer appeal to everyone, as ticket sales showed  

However, if they want to keep a limited lineup and make money, the 16 year olds will be the ones to be jettisoned as they have no money. My points are to protect the rite of passage not kill it.

The last thing the country needs is another dullo festival full of rich, old people tutting when you jump in front of their chairs.

TLDR- Reading has massively shot itself in the foot and needs to decide what it wants to be, if it is to continue in its current format, it can’t appeal to all with massively reduced choice

Edited by Benj

46 minutes ago, Benj said:

TLDR- Reading has massively shot itself in the foot and needs to decide what it wants to be, if it is to continue in its current format, it can’t appeal to all with massively reduced choice

But it might die trying …

20 hours ago, RandomEnglishPerson said:

This chat has been dead for a week so here’s an interesting question to restart the chat, what do you think is the best line ups since 2000

I went for a day trip to Muse day in 2011 but severely regret not doing the full weekend. Across the 2 days I didn't attend are so many acts I have since paid to see live.

I've not been as regular a punter as I should be for a man just down the road, but had a cracker of a day when Metallica topped in 2015.

Felt The Libertines were on the softer side to pick then and definitely stand by that now. Mumford and Sons impressed me more than I expected after the sheer anemic nature of their Glastonbury set on the box.

It was the first time I've seen Bring Me the Horizon, and probably delivered the perfect intersection between their rabble-rouser roots and arena-rock slickness, before they uniformly became the latter.

21 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I've not been as regular a punter as I should be for a man just down the road, but had a cracker of a day when Metallica topped in 2015.

Felt The Libertines were on the softer side to pick then and definitely stand by that now. Mumford and Sons impressed me more than I expected after the sheer anemic nature of their Glastonbury set on the box.

It was the first time I've seen Bring Me the Horizon, and probably delivered the perfect intersection between their rabble-rouser roots and arena-rock slickness, before they uniformly became the latter.

Seeing BMTH during their early years is so weird now looking back. I mean replacing From First to Last supporting Lost Prophets is a weird one. 

seeing Blink tomorrow and I can’t decide if another tour will be in their books for the new album or festivals like L&R

10 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I reckon Blink-182 will cap the reunion run - in Europe at least - with R+L next year, though the new record being in the pipeline makes me wonder.

Presumably we may see any announcements of the "Yeah we're back in 2024" variety after their European tour wraps up, so next week.