2024 Festival

Chad888

2 minutes ago, Benj said:

Fred and I assume Sonny Fodera will pull enough away, to make it OK.  You’d assume given 2 dance acts that Wombats would have bigger crowd than Fodera, no idea how big he is though!

I know this forum doesnt like basing things off streaming numbers but it works in this instance, I think Sonny should bring a decent crowd, Hes got over 6.5 Million monthly listeners on Spotify and is currently 34 in the UK Charts with a song with Becky Hill

2 minutes ago, nathanh said:

I know this forum doesnt like basing things off streaming numbers but it works in this instance, I think Sonny should bring a decent crowd, Hes got over 6.5 Million monthly listeners on Spotify and is currently 34 in the UK Charts with a song with Becky Hill

Some dance head on here will have an idea as to how many he’ll be able to pull from Fred

24 minutes ago, Benj said:

Some dance head on here will have an idea as to how many he’ll be able to pull from Fred

He ain't got a f**king chance of pulling any away from Fred, he's a proper generic radio 1 dance DJ who I am baffled has even managed to get that slot in the first place, the only people going to him will be people that can't be arsed with the crowd size of fred

53 minutes ago, Benj said:

Fred and I assume Sonny Fodera will pull enough away, to make it OK.  You’d assume given 2 dance acts that Wombats would have bigger crowd than Fodera, no idea how big he is though!

He's not very big - they went cheap as Freds at the same time

24 minutes ago, Will b said:

a little taster if anyone wants it. 
while making it I realised how many cracking acts there are down on the FR stage,, I hope it gets an upgrade in size if there’s space 

Unless last year was different, I’ve not seen it packed to the rafters for eons. 

Even the last Don Broco secret set was easy enough to get in to

A couple of things I've noticed with the announcement:

1. Seems to be the end of the US xanax rap "Lil ..... " acts.

2. The dance acts seem to be the mellow Ibiza lounge types.

3. There's a complete shift away from the drill and British rap acts.

4. The lineup seems to have moved in a new direction away from BBC Radio 1, V-fest, zeitgeist teen acts, and towards garage band indie punk and rock acts.

5. There are acts through the undercard that you will enjoy if you enjoy the headliners. 

6. There are acts that will be headlining in 5 or 10 years playing, not filled with one hit soundcloud and tik tok wonders.

I think this is the festival trying to move to a more mature audience.

Not the 1xtra tent stabbings,

Not the campfire riots and tent burnings,

Not the broke 16 year olds sitting in a campsite all day not spending a penny in an empty arena.

This is tailored to music lovers who want to go all day and watch great live bands. The last few years it's all got a bit grimey, moody, angsty, people turning up just to cause trouble. Seems to be a huge step from that and back to the music.

Edited by Chad888
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

This is tailored to music lovers who want to go all day and watch great live bands. The last few years it's all got a bit grimey, moody, angsty, people turning up just to cause trouble. Seems to be a huge step from that and back to the music.

The same can be said for Coachella, has effected their ticket sales but its a lineup targeted to people who have an interest in music not just ultracommercial music that brings in an audience that are going just to go.

Intrigued to see how it effects the actual Reading experience this year in comparison

Edited by nathanh

34 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

A couple of things I've noticed with the announcement:

4. The lineup seems to have moved in a new direction away from BBC Radio 1, V-fest, zeitgeist teen acts, and towards garage band indie punk and rock acts.

5. There are acts through the undercard that you will enjoy if you enjoy the headliners. 

6. There are acts that will be headlining in 5 or 10 years playing, not filled with one hit soundcloud and tik tok wonders.

I think this is the festival trying to move to a more mature audience.

Not the 1xtra tent stabbings,

Not the campfire riots and tent burnings,

Not the broke 16 year olds sitting in a campsite all day not spending a penny in an empty arena.

It's more like the festival trying to move back towards its rockier roots, while still maintaining a musically diverse line-up.

I also think rock is slowly starting to make something of a comeback as well, and this is reflected in the line-up. The success of Sam Fender shows that there is definitely still a market for rock music among young people.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I think they’re trying to entice an audience that will have some brand loyalty and come back year after year.

Kind of as long as they are booked in the right places otherwise you get a Royal Blood at Big Weekend situation

42 minutes ago, nathanh said:

How many people in here that have not been for a few years and are going back this year? If so, whats drawn you back in?

Usually hang around the glasto forum but always keep an eye on r&l threads, never actually posted … but to jump on this our group “retired” and didn’t go last year after a run of about 5 years, swore we wouldn’t go back after feeling absolutely ancient in 2022 / the lineup getting progressively worse / not really our cup of tea audience wise. As soon as the headliners were announced pre Christmas we got tickets. Just couldn’t face missing Lana, Fred or Blink! Really happy with the rest of the lineup announcement and as someone mentioned earlier the disappearance of “Lil ….” has really made it more appealing

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Honestly?

The hip-hop artists both side of the pond have continued to get bigger and they're probably outside the price range. The rock acts are cheaper. It's still good, but I think it's mostly down to the financials. 

44 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Gunman 'carefully planned' murder of dad shot in the face outside Wembley chicken shop - MyLondon

Skrapz has been given the nick for perverting the court of justice. I wouldn't be surprised if he does time.

I'm shocked the festival has booked him, knowing his involvement in the murder of another rapper, which he is currently on trial for.

37 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I'm shocked the festival has booked him, knowing his involvement in the murder of another rapper, which he is currently on trial for.

Feels like an odd choice. Unlike the Slowthai of this past year this is know prior to contracts signed most likely, unless he is actually doing time during the performance cant see him being removed.

2 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Feels like an odd choice. Unlike the Slowthai of this past year this is know prior to contracts signed most likely, unless he is actually doing time during the performance cant see him being removed.

Livestream from prison.