2024 Festival

Chad888

22 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

So we thinking the new R1 tent will be the same size as the R1 Dance tent from the last couple of years? That was smaller than the original R1/NME tent wasn’t it?

Seems like it, I was hoping it would be a larger tent but seemingly not. That tent can be almost dangerously PACKED during bigger acts. Bringing back the original R1 would have been the better shout I think

49 minutes ago, Benj said:

They have some concessions or similar in the gap between main and the chevron now which was not there the last few years, which I assume are for some level of sound proofing and division between the two environments.

Huh? They’ve been there both years that I’ve gone

1 minute ago, nathanh said:

Seems like it, I was hoping it would be a larger tent but seemingly not. That tent can be almost dangerously PACKED during bigger acts. Bringing back the original R1 would have been the better shout I think

What a shame. Really is rather baffling to be honest. Same capacity yet less stages year on year! Without having seen the Leeds site map I just hope it’s in the location of where the original R1/NME tent was because the location of the R1 dance tent on the side of that steep hill was awful. 

2 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

What a shame. Really is rather baffling to be honest. Same capacity yet less stages year on year!

Its so confusing because with less stages and the same capacity there will be less places for people to go so how the crowds will look who knows

8 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Its so confusing because with less stages and the same capacity there will be less places for people to go so how the crowds will look who knows

Yup. The only thing I can think of is that the R1 Xtra tent always seemed really quiet. So they’ve binned that off, changed the R1 Dance tent to a normal R1 tent, swapped MSW out for Chevron to account for the loss of the R1 Dance tent (and maybe widen the dance acts they can book to grab some people who maybe would go to Creamfields) and called it a day! 

Edited by FeverDream

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

They’re turning it into Glasto without the quality or the depth. No stages, just vibes.

That’s the problem, there’s zero vibes beyond the stages at Reading and they’ve cut the number of stages…

54 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

So we thinking the new R1 tent will be the same size as the R1 Dance tent from the last couple of years? That was smaller than the original R1/NME tent wasn’t it?

Based on the yellow and blue tent on the map. Yes it will Be that same tent. Bar the screens it does the job OK, the yellow on the inside is a little bright, is the only other nit picky critique

Edited by Benj

18 minutes ago, Benj said:

That’s the problem, there’s zero vibes beyond the stages at Reading and they’ve cut the number of stages…

I’ve always found Leeds to have a really strange atmosphere, even more so now when the kids pile from the campsites in at 8pm. It always feels like people waiting around all day for the headliner rather then actually enjoying what’s on in the day

6 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I’ve always found Leeds to have a really strange atmosphere, even more so now when the kids pile from the campsites in at 8pm. It always feels like people waiting around all day for the headliner rather then actually enjoying what’s on in the day

Reading was different pre 2020 but is deffo like that now (well 21 & 22 at least).

Arena is half empty, bar certain acts, during the day for which people flood in and pack out. 

I think half of it is probably cultural, with kids going so online during the pandemic, other point being there’s half as much scheduled to draw/ keep them in the arena…

Its almost flip reversed from - where people used to come in for hours and pop back to the tent quickly. To - pop into the arena quickly for the one song I know, then back for a few hours at the tent.

4 minutes ago, Benj said:

Reading was different pre 2020 but is deffo like that now (well 21 & 22 at least).

Arena is half empty, bar certain acts, during the day for which people flood in and pack out. 

I think half of it is probably cultural, with kids going so online during the pandemic, other point being there’s half as much scheduled to draw/ keep them in the arena…

Its almost flip reversed from - where people used to come in for hours and pop back to the tent quickly. To - pop into the arena quickly for the one song I know, then back for a few hours at the tent.

It blows my mind that people spend all day at the tent and pop in and out of the arena. We walk down at about 1pm and stick it out, partly because we’re old but partly because we’re open to watching bands we haven’t heard of. We also don’t have to worry about being old enough to get served

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

It blows my mind that people spend all day at the tent and pop in and out of the arena. We walk down at about 1pm and stick it out, partly because we’re old but partly because we’re open to watching bands we haven’t heard of. We also don’t have to worry about being old enough to get served

used to have the attitude of seeing the acts I wanted to see and do f**k all in between, then because of last years underwhelming line-up i went in with a mindset of make the best of it and see as many acts as i could and of a certain genre and I've never looked back. Also to make the most of the money you'd spent on the ticket in the first place

59 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Probably more about money than this - £1 from a can vs £7+ at a bar. Its a lot - especially for people at uni / school

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Probably more about money than this - £1 from a can vs £7+ at a bar. Its a lot - especially for people at uni / school

Yup kids aren’t gonna be drinking in the arena

We used to pre-load and then pop back once or twice during the day during a bit of a lull and this used to be the pattern for most. 

Deffo seems to have changed over the years markedly since the pandemic

5 minutes ago, Benj said:

Yup kids aren’t gonna be drinking in the arena

We used to pre-load and then pop back once or twice during the day during a bit of a lull and this used to be the pattern for most. 

Deffo seems to have changed over the years markedly since the pandemic

I’ve always taken spirits in with me for the day and it surprises me that me that more people don’t

8 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I’ve always taken spirits in with me for the day and it surprises me that me that more people don’t

Me too. A pack of pouches from Amazon costs about a fiver. You can put them between your legs and get in no issues. 

Edited by Andre91

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Me too. A pack of pouches from Amazon costs about a fiver. You can put them between your legs and get in no issues. 

Or just a water bottle in your backpocket and a bit of confidence honestly.

bit of thought and its easy to get any booze in

18 minutes ago, gfa said:

Or just a water bottle in your backpocket and a bit of confidence honestly.

bit of thought and its easy to get any booze in

That’s always been my tactic, bought some sealed bottle caps in the last for extra insurance. They’ve only ever asked me if it’s sealed, not arsed about the contents when it’s busy going in

2 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Do 16-24 year olds even listen to podcasts? The yoga thing is what’s got me 😂

They are definitely getting more popular and a lot more people doing them, would much rather have another stage of music though 

1 hour ago, thescientist said:

This aux stage is a right load of rubbish 😂

I don't know if I'm old (32) or just living under a rock, maybe a bit of both, but I think I've heard of maybe 2 of the Aux acts.

For the other stages, I'm pretty much set for the weekend. Done a small scout on names I don't know to get a feel for their vibe and all in all, I expect I'll spend most of the time in the arena. Potentially 2 gaps where a run back for a hard drink is worthwhile.