2024 Festival

Chad888

23 minutes ago, Cammers said:

On the topic of yellow camp, this will be my first year in there. 

Is the easiest way (at Leeds) to park in South and enter through Squirrel Lane?

Doesn't appear to be any standard public parking on the Yellow side of site.

100%, that should be the easiest way in if you’re driving. All downhill that way.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dukey said:

At what point do the price rises stop? In 10 years will tickets be £450+ and pints £15+ - last few years the price jumps have been ridiculous across festivals 

I was shocked to learn the other day some local driving instructors charge £45 an hour. Who’s got that kind of money and where does it stop? I literally wouldn’t bother if I was learning now.

£8 a pint doesn’t seem too bad compared to the festivals in the US. Was at Outside Lands in San Fran and Lollapalooza in Chicago a couple of weeks ago and cans of beer were $15 which is around £12. Bright side was there were no queues at all.

20 minutes ago, glastorome said:

Im hoping for around the £8 a pint mark. Although I have got some of those resealable bottle lids from amazon to take a bottle of gin in, in a water bottle. 

They worked a treat taking vodka into Tramlines last year. 

Every other FR / LN festival so far this year has had £6.70 for Carlsberg and £7 for Brooklyn Pils / Somersby so imagine R&L will be the same. 

14 hours ago, foolee said:

Any idea on secret sets for the pit on Friday? 

For the Festival Republic gap maybe Soft Play or The Story So Far?

For the introducing gaps each day maybe Hot Milk, Sea Girls and Rizzle Kicks?

For 8.30pm Sunday (Reading) R1 - Rex Orange County?

As the chevron opens late on Sunday and stops early on the Saturday (Reading), I'd say there is potential for a decent sized act like Royal Blood (promoting 10th anniversary) or Yungblud (promoting new clothing line) but I doubt it.

34 minutes ago, Dukey said:

At what point do the price rises stop? In 10 years will tickets be £450+ and pints £15+ - last few years the price jumps have been ridiculous across festivals 

The problem is that inflation compounds and there's a bunch of ingredients that we're paying for (food, drink, energy, wages, services) and some of those things have been slammed by 10%ish of inflation over the last couple of years. 

So unless you have a big depreciation of a few of those commodities, ticket prices will continue to rise in line with inflation every year or close to.

What that doesn't take in to account is corporate greed. So if FR want to bump prices 15%, they can do, but they have to be wary of price elasticity. Is it better to sellout at £300 a ticket, or get 80% capacity at £360? They'll do the maths. 

Edited by Cammers

19 minutes ago, Cammers said:

The problem is that inflation compounds and there's a bunch of ingredients that we're paying for (food, drink, energy, wages, services) and some of those things have been slammed by 10%ish of inflation over the last couple of years. 

So unless you have a big depreciation of a few of those commodities, ticket prices will continue to rise in line with inflation every year or close to.

What that doesn't take in to account is corporate greed. So if FR want to bump prices 15%, they can do, but they have to be wary of price elasticity. Is it better to sellout at £300 a ticket, or get 80% capacity at £360? They'll do the maths. 

Inflation is fine but when you’re paying an event premium on top for ale or food that’s when it gets ridiculous for me. I did hear once that the food vans have to pay £10,000 to get in so I imagine they price has gone up too.

42 minutes ago, Dukey said:

Its shot up ticket wise really quickly at Reading (due to inflation and them playing with a new format) so wouldn't be shocked to see it slow massively or freeze 

32 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I was shocked to learn the other day some local driving instructors charge £45 an hour. Who’s got that kind of money and where does it stop? I literally wouldn’t bother if I was learning now.

This is because loads are quitting as the tests are impossible to get + covid backlog demand.

People don't have a choice but to learn to drive in most of the Uk.

18 minutes ago, drfisher said:

£8 a pint doesn’t seem too bad compared to the festivals in the US. Was at Outside Lands in San Fran and Lollapalooza in Chicago a couple of weeks ago and cans of beer were $15 which is around £12. Bright side was there were no queues at all.

US wages are far higher - this is also beyond the point.

Leeds and Reading should have different pint prices really - Reading is basically working with London prices so is fairly reasonable but up north it must be like double most nearby pubs

14 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

They were outstanding in the tent in 2016 but they’ll be back, how many times will you get to see Fred Again

An excellent point, might give Fred a go and then wander over to the Wombats if not feeling it

44 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

£8 a pint is f**king scandalous. It should never be more than £6 at most. It’s always sh*t beer, too. 

Totally agree, but the organizers know that once youre in that arena youre at their mercy, and will pay whatever they are charging. 

3 minutes ago, glastorome said:

Totally agree, but the organizers know that once youre in that arena youre at their mercy, and will pay whatever they are charging. 

Not if you’re smart. I didn’t visit the bar once at Download all weekend and was pissed every day 😂

48 minutes ago, gfa said:

Leeds and Reading should have different pint prices really - Reading is basically working with London prices so is fairly reasonable but up north it must be like double most nearby pubs

Festival prices are about the same as a Manchester or Leeds City Centre pint. Its even about the price in my reasonably small village in the nice bars, unless you go into a "regulars" pub but those are very depressing

I remember having Carlsberg Export in 2019 at that Carlsberg bar, and I'm fine with that one, but I think that's gone now? Getting rid of all other options and leaving normal Carlsberg as the only beer anywhere in the arena is bad though.

As I'm volunteering it won't matter as I don't expect to be drinking but if I was going as a ticket holder I think I'd be out to have cans at the Co Op instead when I got an hour to kill (presuming they have a couple of other options like at other festivals they've been at...maybe they don't). If I get a music day off then I'll be doing that

Edited by efcfanwirral

21 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Festival prices are about the same as a Manchester or Leeds City Centre pint. Its even about the price in my reasonably small village in the nice bars, unless you go into a "regulars" pub but those are very depressing

I remember having Carlsberg Export in 2019 at that Carlsberg bar, and I'm fine with that one, but I think that's gone now? Getting rid of all other options and leaving normal Carlsberg as the only beer anywhere in the arena is bad though.

As I'm volunteering it won't matter as I don't expect to be drinking but if I was going as a ticket holder I think I'd be out to have cans at the Co Op instead when I got an hour to kill (presuming they have a couple of other options like at other festivals they've been at...maybe they don't). If I get a music day off then I'll be doing that

Huge reason why the arena isn't busy till later - its either £8 a pint or sub £1 a can in the campsite (around £1.50-2 if you go to the co-op)

Students simply can't afford it

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

I know right! Carslberg, like sex on a boat..........f**king close to to water!

• Upvote 1