Download 2024

FeverDream

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

2008 says hello. 

It can say hello but except for KISS, I was a huge Offspring and Prophets fan then. They may not warrant it due to dropouts but I wouldn't have been that disappointed to attend the festival that year. I'm only mildly interested in FOB now and have no issues missing those other two.

1 minute ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

2008 says hello. 

I think people have just erased that from their memory for understandable reasons. Back then they actually had alternatives to the headliners....I went crazy during Calavara Conspiracy on the Sunday. Played loads of Sepultura as well as their first album which I enjoyed at the time. Saw Testament over The Offspring too which was intense (though I've seen Testament a bunch since then so I'd do it the other way round now). 

9 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

2008 says hello. 

That's fair and time has made it look even worse, I will say I bought a ticket for and had a cracking time at Download that year. I wouldn't buy a ticket for A7X, QOTSA and FoB without something very special on the undercard. 

4 minutes ago, OKMess said:

That's fair and time has made it look even worse, I will say I bought a ticket for and had a cracking time at Download that year. I wouldn't buy a ticket for A7X, QOTSA and FoB without something very special on the undercard. 

Same. But would need to know that at least Dogtooth would be cashing with main headliners to have an alternative. 

3 hours ago, OKMess said:

People on the Download forums think they've deduced the headliners to be QOTSA, Fall Out Boy and A7X. 

I don't think it's going to be Queens of the Stone Age based on their upcoming tour starting after the supposed announcement date of 7th of November. 

I know they've announced headliners about 3 times over the last 2 decades while they had an upcoming tour (Slipknot in '15, Biffy Clyro had a tour in 2016 after being announced for '17 and Def Leppard had a tour in '18 after being announced for '19). But they don't seem a headliner to me. 

Gonna have to make sure I check out Downloads social media when/if they announce that trio as I imagine the reaction is gonna be overwhelmingly negative, but I suppose they’ve only done it to themselves by refusing to budge on headliners for so long until they’ve finally had their hand forced in to booking two very un-metal headliners at once.

• Like 1

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Gonna have to make sure I check out Downloads social media when/if they announce that trio as I imagine the reaction is gonna be overwhelmingly negative, but I suppose they’ve only done it to themselves by refusing to budge on headliners for so long until they’ve finally had their hand forced in to booking two very un-metal headliners at once.

Odd choice though to book 3 fairly weak headliners after what they had this year if it is them.

3 hours ago, OKMess said:

People on the Download forums think they've deduced the headliners to be QOTSA, Fall Out Boy and A7X. 

One of the singles on the new QOTSA album got a LOT of advertisement at this years Download. Most likely normal marketing but you never know.

Edited by FeverDream

7 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

Without trawling, why is everyone certain about qotsa and fall out boy?I would happily watch both but they are acts that are popular in their own circles, but not relevant outside of their own fan base. 

For Fall Out Boy their tour ends right before the supposed announcement date of 7th November, as for QOTSA no clue as their tour is after the announcement date and they can't even sell out the O2 and headliners are meant to be able to sell that out twice in a row to be able to headline 

44 minutes ago, Judas Yeast said:

Think it's safe to say people have worked out the headliners I was told at least. Once again, they might be nonsense but it's what I've been told

A note of caution - they've moved now but a freelance journo used to live in the area I'm in and they'd hear rumours, but then that rumour would get repeated as gospel by others 'cuz the journo said it so they must know'. I actually spoke to them once about a fest a different from Download and their guess at a headliner was waaaay off who it turned out to be. I have no idea who your source is but if it's based off a journo (as rumours  often are) then do take it with a big pinch of salt. 

Edited by Spiral_Low

36 minutes ago, Marka23 said:

Odd choice though to book 3 fairly weak headliners after what they had this year if it is them.

Maybe the leaker that has got things right in the past was correct with A7X/Iron Maiden/Rammstein but with the Rammstein allegations and Bruce deciding to tour solo they’ve had their hand forced and those two were the next best options. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

A note of caution - they've moved now but a freelance journo used to live in the area I'm in and they'd hear rumours, but then that rumour would get repeated as gospel by others 'cuz the journo said it so they must know'. I actually spoke to them once about a fest a different from Download and their guess at a headliner was waaaay off who it turned out to be. I have no idea who your source is but if it's based off a journo (as rumours  often are) then do take it with a big pinch of salt. 

This has been my worry for sure. It's why I've tried to make it clear as much as possible that it could all be nonsense. The main reason I've just come out and said it is because multiple people have said the same three bands so feel like it's a lot more likely now

But after the Rammstein/Maiden/A7X thing from earlier in the year, we all need to stop taking "leaks" as the gospel truth anyway

5 minutes ago, Judas Yeast said:

This has been my worry for sure. It's why I've tried to make it clear as much as possible that it could all be nonsense. The main reason I've just come out and said it is because multiple people have said the same three bands so feel like it's a lot more likely now

But after the Rammstein/Maiden/A7X thing from earlier in the year, we all need to stop taking "leaks" as the gospel truth anyway

I'm out of reactions today but fair play. Yeah that leak turning out to be deffo showed we all need to not take leaks to seriously. 

don't see why Green Day are ruled out. They are clearly doing late summer dates in US because of Smashing Pumpkins who are touring in june 

also think that they are bringing SP to support in headline dates around Europe, that's why they are doing UK with Weezer

if anything this announcement made it clear to me that Green Day are doing a UK festival next summer instead of another stadium run

Just now, gabrielomachado said:

don't see why Green Day are ruled out. They are clearly doing late summer dates in US because of Smashing Pumpkins who are touring in june 

also think that they are bringing SP to support in headline dates around Europe, that's why they are doing UK with Weezer

if anything this announcement made it clear to me that Green Day are doing a UK festival next summer instead of another stadium run

I think it makes it very likely. The leaflet given out at their 'secret' show yesterday says the UK/EU is next.

Given we know the festivals will be announcing in the next few weeks I think it's likely Green Day are doing a European and UK festival run 

24 minutes ago, foolee said:

Maybe the leaker that has got things right in the past was correct with A7X/Iron Maiden/Rammstein but with the Rammstein allegations and Bruce deciding to tour solo they’ve had their hand forced and those two were the next best options. 

It's likely they were never even booked and Lee added those two to mess with people to get back at being banned from the forum 

36 minutes ago, foolee said:

Maiden plans things long in advance, they would never drop out a festival a few weeks before announcement because Bruce decided to go solo

also Rammstein allegations are't doing anything negative on their 4th consecutive European summer tour next year

31 minutes ago, Judas Yeast said:

If nothing else you've managed to stir up some good quality chat.