Download 2024

FeverDream

Each of those three acts is 100% worthy and big enough to headline, but as a trio they just look at odds with what people have to come to expect from Download over the years aka not huge stadium selling metal bands. If FOB or QOTSA had played prior but paired with Slipknot, Metallica, Maiden, Rammstein etc then nobody would bat an eyelid, but A7X, probably the weakest metal headliner Download has in their roster, plus an incredibly un-metal FOB, and QOTSA who are also on the weaker side headliner-wise, screams of ‘all our other headliners were unavailable/played too recently/aren’t touring so we finally had to cave and diversify’, which is what we’ve all been predicting would eventually happen if they didn’t start changing things up periodically through the years.

BUT at least they’ve now got two more much needed headliners to fall back on in the future, even if neither is a particularly fresh face on the scene (and knowing Download, probably won’t ever play again). 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, guylin29 said:

Greta Van Fleet a future headliner?

- I know some people hate them due to their resemblance with Led Zeppelin.

- How is the November UK arena tour selling ticket wise?

London dates seems to have sold out but lots of availability in Manchester standing, seated and resale. Glasgow has sold averagely and Dublin seems to have not sold so well. Not surprised to be honest. 

I don't think they'll ever headline unless they get some kind of mainstream popularity or maybe in 20 years or so just as a courtesy, but who knows. A week ago I'd have said I wasn't sure Fall Out Boy would ever headline. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Each of those three acts is 100% worthy and big enough to headline, but as a trio they just look at odds with what people have to come to expect from Download over the years aka not huge stadium selling metal bands. If FOB or QOTSA had played prior but paired with Slipknot, Metallica, Maiden, Rammstein etc then nobody would bat an eyelid, but A7X, probably the weakest metal headliner Download has in their roster, plus an incredibly un-metal FOB, and QOTSA who are also on the weaker side headliner-wise, screams of ‘all our other headliners were unavailable/played too recently/aren’t touring so we finally had to cave and diversify’, which is what we’ve all been predicting would eventually happen if they didn’t start changing things up periodically through the years.

BUT at least they’ve now got two more much needed headliners to fall back on in the future, even if neither is a particularly fresh face on the scene (and knowing Download, probably won’t ever play again). 

If Download actually booked it as a rock festival and not a metal festival over the years then there would be less complaints but as a set of 3 it's terrible. It's the conversation for most with 2008 but that goes to show where Download is that when they miss their metal choices, they don't have backups due to lack of promoting.

1 minute ago, crumbler said:

BMTH might sell more tickets right now but I think QOTSA have the most crossover appeal of those three headliners.

It's a 2 way route.

I'm a metalhead in my 30s and probably a bit more 'open minded' than a fair few other metal fans my age (I like a lot of grunge, punk, goth, industrial, trip hop and assorted other stuff). I don't mind some QOTSA stuff and actually think a couple of their earlier albums are pretty good. But I see them and FOB as very mainstream and attracting a more R+L type crowd. And that deffo puts me off. So when you are talking crossover appeal well ok it might bring in a non-typical Download crowd but it also puts off people like myself. 

Just now, Nice to Michu said:

Alice Cooper a nailed on 2nd stage headliner, I think Dickinson will sub him.

Nah my dude. He's playing in Slovakia on the Thursday before download and then Czechia on the Sunday of Download. 

That's a lot of kit to cart to Eastern Europe and back and he's not exactly a spring chicken. 90% sure Alice isn't there this year. 

3 minutes ago, OKMess said:

Nah my dude. He's playing in Slovakia on the Thursday before download and then Czechia on the Sunday of Download. 

That's a lot of kit to cart to Eastern Europe and back and he's not exactly a spring chicken. 90% sure Alice isn't there this year. 

June 17 is Monday

1 hour ago, Nice to Michu said:

Alice Cooper a nailed on 2nd stage headliner, I think Dickinson will sub him.

I’d say he’ll stay in Eastern Europe over the weekend and drive from Slovakia to Czech Republic, doesn’t make logistical sense to come back to the UK in between those two countries. Think our 2nd stage headliners will be Five Finger Death Punch, Judas Priest & Sabaton with Royal Blood, Machine Head & The Offspring subbing. 

6 minutes ago, foolee said:

I’d say he’ll stay in Eastern Europe over the weekend and drive from Slovakia to Czech Republic, doesn’t make logistical sense to come back to the UK in between those two countries. Think our 2nd stage headliners will be Five Finger Death Punch, Judas Priest & Sabaton with Royal Blood, Machine Head & The Offspring subbing. 

If the headliners really are AX7, FOB and QOTSA I have a feeling Machine Head might do their own dates instead. They've put together quite the package in the USA and I'm sure they could here too. They could probably do a sizable academy tour. 

4 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Royal Blood can get in the bin. I’m all for Download booking a more diverse line up & moving away from the usual top slot repeat bookings, but Royal Blood are absolute garbage. 

Announced for Hellfest so possibly doing the heavier festivals this year. Unless they headline R&L? 

15 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Royal Blood can get in the bin. I’m all for Download booking a more diverse line up & moving away from the usual top slot repeat bookings, but Royal Blood are absolute garbage. 

They’ve played Download before and had people outside the tent trying to watch them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice to Michu said:

They’ve played Download before and had people outside the tent trying to watch them.

They were a very different band in 2014. Also, they'd probably fill a tent nowadays, but the problem is they'd take up a high spot that could be used for a big act that would appeal to typical Download goers. I think most people wouldn't mind if they were halfway down the second stage, but they'd probably be third/second down on main stage which is the issue.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gejonimo said:

They were a very different band in 2014. Also, they'd probably fill a tent nowadays, but the problem is they'd take up a high spot that could be used for a big act that would appeal to typical Download goers. I think most people wouldn't mind if they were halfway down the second stage, but they'd probably be third/second down on main stage which is the issue.

Tbh I think they always sound the same, but yeah agree with the slot issue that’s the problem but it’s happened a lot in the past with the likes of Chase & Status having a sub slot due to Prodigy, it would seem like a waste of a big slot.

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Agreed.  Radio 1 Big Weekend says it all.  Seen them at the OVO Hydro in Glasgow and it was dead.  

• Like 1