Download 2024

FeverDream

5 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

fun fact: i saw Fall Out Boy for the first and only time about 6 years ago when they played at Rock In Rio replacing Billy Idol (!) who pulled out, they played right before Alice Cooper, Def Leppard and Aerosmith

needless to say they went down like a lead balloon to that crowd

Surprised they didn't go down faster than a lead balloon.

So, on the supposed three: 

Seen Fall Out Boy twice, I think. It's a high-energy arena show which should hold up fine on festival stages, but I won't expect it to be talked about in upper echelons this time next year. If Biffy Clyro struggle to win over punters at Download, not really convinced FOB can do the same, despite more obvious radio hits.

Have not seen Avenged Sevenfold, but as former headliners, they'll probably do fine. Definitely on the weaker side, but at the same time, it's been a good while since they were over. Imagine they put on a robust show.

Queens of the Stone Age are a band I'm curiously agnostic about on record. Saw them at Halifax's Piece Hall this summer though, and it's up there not just for my gig of the year but my gig of the post-Covid era, even with a few choice cuts missing. If they're smart and stack the deck - well, they can definitely deliver an impressive ninety minutes.

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Surprised they didn't go down faster than a lead balloon.

So, on the supposed three: 

Seen Fall Out Boy twice, I think. It's a high-energy arena show which should hold up fine on festival stages, but I won't expect it to be talked about in upper echelons this time next year. If Biffy Clyro struggle to win over punters at Download, not really convinced FOB can do the same, despite more obvious radio hits.

Have not seen Avenged Sevenfold, but as former headliners, they'll probably do fine. Definitely on the weaker side, but at the same time, it's been a good while since they were over. Imagine they put on a robust show.

Queens of the Stone Age are a band I'm curiously agnostic about on record. Saw them at Halifax's Piece Hall this summer though, and it's up there not just for my gig of the year but my gig of the post-Covid era, even with a few choice cuts missing. If they're smart and stack the deck - well, they can definitely deliver an impressive ninety minutes.

Fall Out Boy I see falling on their arse as a band headlining Download, unless they forget most stuff from post IOH.

Biffy Clyro I've always said should never have headlined Download, seeing them on 2012 I think is still the worst I have seen them I feel. They played a few times years back but they had albums accustom to Download then. When Only Revolution's came and then Opposites it became more and more a disjointed show for there. And anything now would just be terrible.

I honestly that think of anything except for a trio ot FOB, Offspring and Sum 41 1 day to draw me in for a day as that's like my youth right there. The other days won't grab me in because I don't actually like those bands and someone like Limp Bizkit subbing isn't going to change that.

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

We traveled down to that Halifax gig this Summer too and I would agree. First time I'd been but I thought it was a brilliant venue and QOTSA were arguably the best I'd seen them. Out of the three potential headliners they're the one most likely to bring me back but it will depend what we get in terms of undercard before I make any decision.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Biffy Clyro I've always said should never have headlined Download, seeing them on 2012 I think is still the worst I have seen them I feel. They played a few times years back but they had albums accustom to Download then. When Only Revolution's came and then Opposites it became more and more a disjointed show for there. And anything now would just be terrible.

Biffy Clyro are my favourite band and I’d die on a hill justifying their right to headline. What I will say is 2017 felt like a bit of a weird time… one year post Ellipsis which lets be honest is their least heavy and probably worst rated album by most fans. Would be interested to see how many day tickets sold for them in 2017 and 2022. Wouldn’t surprise me if we see them headline again, though, as I suppose they’re in the headliner pool now having done it twice.

42 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Fall Out Boy I see falling on their arse as a band headlining Download, unless they forget most stuff from post IOH.

I honestly that think of anything except for a trio ot FOB, Offspring and Sum 41 1 day to draw me in for a day as that's like my youth right there. The other days won't grab me in because I don't actually like those bands and someone like Limp Bizkit subbing isn't going to change that.

They’ve been playing loads from their first 3 albums, especially Take This To Your Grave and Infinity On High. 

27 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

Biffy Clyro are my favourite band and I’d die on a hill justifying their right to headline. What I will say is 2017 felt like a bit of a weird time… one year post Ellipsis which lets be honest is their least heavy and probably worst rated album by most fans. Would be interested to see how many day tickets sold for them in 2017 and 2022. Wouldn’t surprise me if we see them headline again, though, as I suppose they’re in the headliner pool now having done it twice.

Biffy will 100% headline again in future. 

30 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

Obligatory post to say the frustration with Biffy headlining isn't that they can, it's that Copping insists Korn can't. Both can. 

29 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

Ellipsis is Animal Style for me and the rest can go. Their last 3 albums are comfortably their worst for me. If I was to make a Biffy Clyro cd for the car, I would probably put Animal Style and Hunger in your Heart at the very max from the last 3 albums on it.

Biffy Clyro to headline should have been given the opportunity earlier, Download completely missed the boat and time frame for it.

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

They’ve been playing loads from their first 3 albums, especially Take This To Your Grave and Infinity On High. 

Something like that would be closer to pull me on. One thing I really hate and I know I've said before, but why should I pay £22 for day parking when weekend holders do that for 4/5?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Spiral_Low said:

Obligatory post to say the frustration with Biffy headlining isn't that they can, it's that Copping insists Korn can't. Both can. 

Why can Korn? They don't have a track record of selling anywhere near enough tickets to justify headlining. This is a business, you don't get to headline for long service. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Yeah I get that. Korn under Biffy in 2022 was wild given they headline other similar festivals. Not so familiar with Korn, but do they shift tickets on their own tour? That is surely the only reason Copping hasn’t bumped them up to headline by now.

Edited by FeverDream

3 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Ellipsis is Animal Style for me and the rest can go. Their last 3 albums are comfortably their worst for me. If I was to make a Biffy Clyro cd for the car, I would probably put Animal Style and Hunger in your Heart at the very max from the last 3 albums on it.

Biffy Clyro to headline should have been given the opportunity earlier, Download completely missed the boat and time frame for it.

Something like that would be closer to pull me on. One thing I really hate and I know I've said before, but why should I pay £22 for day parking when weekend holders do that for 4/5?

The last 2 are up there as the best for me! Agree with Ellipsis though, bin it. I believe Simon has said in hindsight it should have been a solo album.

Edited by FeverDream

4 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Any massive festival charging for parking is a disgrace. 

1 minute ago, FeverDream said:

The last 2 are up there as the best for me! Agree with Ellipsis though, bin it. I believe Simon has said in hindsight it should have been a solo album.

The last two are excellent, particularly a Celebration of Endings, which was seen as a return to form after Ellipsis. This isn’t a dig at @northernangel but I think the people who have written off the last two albums likely haven’t put the time into them as there’s loads to love on each but especially the first, like I said. 

Sod it: 

1. Puzzle 

2. Only Revolutions 

3. Blackened Sky  

4. A Celebration of Endings 

5. Infinity Land 

6. Opposites 

7. The Myth of the Happily Ever After 

8. The Vertigo of Bliss 

9. Ellipsis 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

Yeah I get that. Korn under Biffy in 2022 was wild given they headline other similar festivals. Not so familiar with Korn, but do they shift tickets on their own tour? That is surely the only reason Copping hasn’t bumped them up to headline by now.

KoRn have been an academy band for ages but did a co-headline arena tour with Limp Bizkit back in 2016 (which was their last UK run, madly) but they’ve got the legacy.

The only reason I think KoRn aren’t a headliner is because when they were at the peak of their powers in the late 90s and very early 00s, there was no festival of Download’s ilk in the UK where they could headline, because they absolutely would have. I think if Download had been a thing back then, they would still be headliners now. I do think they could get the bump one day in the near future as all of the dinosaur bands retire but why would you give KoRn a headline slot when you can routinely get away with having three headliners and have KoRn subbing? 

It’s a shame that such a festival didn’t exist at the time because I think bands like KoRn, Limp Bizkit, Deftones and Marilyn Manson (not now) could have been headliners for a long time and would have added more bands to the pool for Download over the last two decades. 

Edited by Andre91

8 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

That's fair if he's said that.

6 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Any massive festival charging for parking is a disgrace. 

It is but £22 is just over the top! I'd pay a tenner happily for a day. But if I give that man £100 for a day ticket, add in my fuel....okay its an hiur away and then parking it's costing me £120+ for a day ticket before anything else...it just has to be something special. We all know I think Download organise everything bad anyway but that's something else. The sound is something they've generally always done well.

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

The last two are excellent, particularly a Celebration of Endings, which was seen as a return to form after Ellipsis. This isn’t a dig at @northernangel but I think the people who have written off the last two albums likely haven’t put the time into them as there’s loads to love on each but especially the first, like I said. 

Sod it: 

1. Puzzle 

2. Only Revolutions 

3. Blackened Sky  

4. A Celebration of Endings 

5. Infinity Land 

6. Opposites 

7. The Myth of the Happily Ever After 

8. The Vertigo of Bliss 

9. Ellipsis 

Those top two go without saying. I would probably put Opposites 3rd because I have my poppier routes before Blackened Sky. I've listened to the first 3 but I got into Biffy Clyro off of Puzzle.

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

KoRn have been an academy band for ages but did a co-headline arena tour with Limp Bizkit back in 2016 (which was their last UK run, madly) but they’ve got the legacy.

The only reason I think KoRn aren’t a headliner is because when they were at the peak of their powers in the late 90s and very early 00s, there was no festival of Download’s ilk in the UK where they could headline, because they absolutely would have. I think if Download had been a thing back then, they would still be headliners now. I do think they could get the bump one day in the near future as all of the dinosaur bands retire but why would you give KoRn a headline slot when you can routinely get away with having three headliners and have KoRn subbing? 

It’s a shame that such a festival didn’t exist at the time because I think bands like KoRn, Limp Bizkit, Deftones and Marilyn Manson (not now) could have been headliners for a long time and would have added more bands to the pool for Download over the last two decades. 

I think you are right here, it came just before the festival started. It always amazes me how Download 2004 had two of Reading 2003s headliners which I lool back at Reading 2003 quite fondly. I was only 15 then so I didn't even know what Reading was. I was into my club music a lot then and came into hearing of Hybrid Theory about a year later as I went to see LP later the year after finishing school....when i didn't know there were even supports...so spent the first 45 minutes enjoying but thinking that was very short and I recognise nothing lol.

But back to subject, I have always thought Korn were able to play those gigs because it was tied in. Had it been someone different I'd have maybe gone but I just don't like Korn but heard the couple of songs I'll listen to last year as was there.

22 minutes ago, OKMess said:

Why can Korn? They don't have a track record of selling anywhere near enough tickets to justify headlining. This is a business, you don't get to headline for long service. 

They are one of the biggest bands in metal and have a huge amount of 'hits'. 

And actually their last big full UK tour was an arena tour with Limp Bizkit in 2016 of similar size to AX7's last UK tour in 2017 which was with Disturbed and In Flames. 

Previous tour before that was a huge arena run as special guests to Slipknot in 2015 which I think did a lot of good in reminding people Korn can put on a great show. Certainly they got a great reception and the one I went to (Cardiff date). 

They are a rarity in the UK these days but 2022 showed they still have huge appeal as they supposedly got a bigger crowd than Biffy did.

21 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

See above 🙂

8 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Previous tour before that was a huge arena run as special guests to Slipknot in 2015 which I think did a lot of good in reminding people Korn can put on a great show. Certainly they got a great reception and the one I went to (Cardiff date).

I’d completely forgotten they supported Slipknot on that tour (and iirc it was like £40 which was an insane steal) but yeah, I remember being very impressed by them and pretty sure I preferred them over Slipknot when I saw them in Liverpool. 

As for them headlining.. I think it would go down incredibly well on the night, but  they’ve spent so long subbing/headlining second stage at this point that I can’t see them ever getting the bump up, plus, they’re just not at the level of usual Download headliners (at least being able to headline arenas on their own). I get the argument for them doing it, but I can totally see why Copping has never gone down that route when he can just have them subbing a much bigger act instead.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’d completely forgotten they supported Slipknot on that tour (and iirc it was like £40 which was an insane steal) but yeah, I remember being very impressed by them and pretty sure I preferred them over Slipknot when I saw them in Liverpool. 

As for them headlining.. I think it would go down incredibly well on the night, but  they’ve spent so long subbing/headlining second stage at this point that I can’t see them ever getting the bump up, plus, they’re just not at the level of usual Download headliners (at least being able to headline arenas on their own). I get the argument for them doing it, but I can totally see why Copping has never gone down that route when he can just have them subbing a much bigger act instead.

Me and my mates got to meet KoRn backstage on that tour (totally on a whim) and I still have the picture and the guitar pick Head gave me framed at home 🥰

48 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

If Korn want to headline they need to do a greatest hits arena tour for super cheap with them as headliners (so it sells a lot of tickets). Then put out a banger of an album then do another arena tour. Maybe with headline slots at smaller festivals (rather than their traditional sub-headline slot at Download).

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

KoRn upstaged Slipknot on that 2015.

They certainly were very good. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Hence the frustration. The fact they would go down very well should give them the nod. 

1 hour ago, OKMess said:

If Korn want to headline they need to do a greatest hits arena tour for super cheap with them as headliners (so it sells a lot of tickets). Then put out a banger of an album then do another arena tour. Maybe with headline slots at smaller festivals (rather than their traditional sub-headline slot at Download).

Why are they being held to a higher standard than Avenged Sevenfold? And they do headline festivals in Europe already. There isn't a suitable size festival in the UK (as I was bemoaning earlier in this thread). Anyway I have a feeling they will do a co-headline tour with someone like Rob Zombie soon. I hope so anyway. 

Just now, Spiral_Low said:

They certainly were very good. 

Hence the frustration. The fact they would go down very well should give them the nod. 

Why are they being held to a higher standard than Avenged Sevenfold? And they do headline festivals in Europe already. There isn't a suitable size festival in the UK (as I was bemoaning earlier in this thread). Anyway I have a feeling they will do a co-headline tour with someone like Rob Zombie soon. I hope so anyway. 

What's the comparison with A7X? They are an established headliner, a smaller one, sure, but established.

Korn would not look out of place headlining Bloodstock. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OKMess said:

What's the comparison with A7X? They are an established headliner, a smaller one, sure, but established.

Korn would not look out of place headlining Bloodstock. 

Because A7X were bumped to headliner before doing the kind of tours and headline shows you say Korn need to do. 

Korn are much bigger than any of the Bloodstock headliners this year, last year or next year. Though they did have Judas Priest before that tbf.