2024 Headliners

10 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Neither were the Stones, U2 or Adele, but people can be persuaded. 

All those examples actually play live music though and don’t rely on an overly produced and choreographed performance. I haven’t done my research on how Madonna performs, but the assumption I have is that she would be far more likely to fear a Spinal Tap style mishap in an environment she doesn’t have full control over than Stones, U2, Adele or Elton.

21 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

And like them or loathe them (and I know plenty of people around these parts fall into the latter camp), they'd be right to view themselves as too big for that slot. 

I agree but they would be a pretty naff headliner - definitely shouldn't be a top option especially a white men band

They would have killed other a few years ago

1 minute ago, Tom Connolly said:

i really like Sam Fender but surely even in 2 years he’s nowhere near a Glastonbury headline. I thought it was ridiculous he was given the headline slot at Leeds Fest let alone headlining the pyramid. 

He'll be a contender with one more album so long as it doesn't flop.

27 minutes ago, Tom Connolly said:

i just have a feeling that he’s gonna end up as one of those “no way he headlined R&L (and hypothetically Glasto” in 20 years time

Its not like its a complete one off, he's done stadiums, trnsmt, all superstruct fests, finsbury park, reading etc. basically everywhere other than glasto at this point in the uk now

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Its not like its a complete one off, he's done stadiums, trnsmt, all superstruct fests, finsbury park, reading etc. basically everywhere other than glasto at this point in the uk now

yeah fair point i suppose, i suppose his rise has just been fairly quick. i remember nbhd manchester 2018 he played to a half full academy supporting Sundara Karma and now he’s being touted for the biggest gig there is. fair play to him though, nothing against the boy

18 hours ago, Tom Connolly said:

i really like Sam Fender but surely even in 2 years he’s nowhere near a Glastonbury headline. I thought it was ridiculous he was given the headline slot at Leeds Fest let alone headlining the pyramid. 

If Fender is doing it the old fashioned way of playing the entire circuit and notching some notable slots, then whats getting in the way of being a headliner if his next album is successful? Did Arctic Monkeys going from sub at Reading in 2006 to Pyramid in 2007 off one album bother you at all? I thought so..... And if this is your thinking then there really arent any younger artists good enough to be a headliner. Might as well keep booking senior citizen headliners til the rest get past age 40.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Suprefan said:

If Fender is doing it the old fashioned way of playing the entire circuit and notching some notable slots, then whats getting in the way of being a headliner if his next album is successful? Did Arctic Monkeys going from sub at Reading in 2006 to Pyramid in 2007 off one album bother you at all? I thought so..... And if this is your thinking then there really arent any younger artists good enough to be a headliner. Might as well keep booking senior citizen headliners til the rest get past age 40.

chill g is only forum bro

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Tom Connolly said:

I saw him open for the Stones last year and thought he was really on - but I don't know, kind of agree with this one. Be interested to see where he'd slot in though

3 hours ago, Drinky said:

Also I reckon there can’t be many out there who could (without googling) name the four headliners of Wireless when it first started in 2005

Go on then, i'll have a bash: 

Dizzee Rascal

Basement Jaxx

Chemical Brothers

The Strokes

7 hours ago, Drinky said:

Who are the “I can’t believe they headlined that”s of 20 years ago? Reading and Leeds has form -  The Darkness in 2004 and Razorlight in 2007…

The Darkness headlining T in the Park when David Bowie dropped out while Muse, who had just headlined Glastonbury, were second stage has aged similarly well.