2024 Headliners

It's an interesting question RE Pyramid headliners who haven't lived up to (personal) expectations. Out of 18 potentials, I've only seen a handful and some of those not even complete sets.

I left Neil Young for Q-Tip in 2009. NY was boring the pants off me...

Left Muse for George Clinton, in 2010. Both of whom left me unimpressed, sadly. One of the worst ends to a day at Glasto (at least on the main stages) I've ever had.

Stevie Wonder was fantastic, 2010.

Metallica were brilliant in 2014.

Left Radiohead in 2017 for Dizzee Rascal - one of the best decisions I've ever made.

GnR and Elton were both awesome this year.

So, out of 18 potential headliners, I've only seen 4 full sets (and loved them), 3 were dull and I left. Not the greatest hit-rate.

Or in other words, a 38% chance I'll be at the Pyramid and only a 57% I'll actually stay, lol.

4 hours ago, turricandanz said:

Yep spot on, Arctic Monkeys were dreary..an im a fan.

Guns N Roses was probably the most fun I've had at a Glastonbury headliner, it was so good!

I think every time I met someone on a bench or outside a food stand and asked them who they'd seen Fri night and they replied with Arctics, the best they could frame it was "It was okay".

I agree with GnR, from where we were in the pit, it was such good fun. Just an absolute jam. Never bounced around so much to a Pyramid headliner. 

For Take That seems to be similar to their tour in 2019, with a mixture of arenas and stadiums... So far these are the venues I've seen teasing dates (rumoured to be announced tomorrow at around 8am).

Co-Op Live - Manchester

The O2 - London

Utilita Arena - Birmingham

Utilita Arena - Sheffield

OVO Hydro - Glasgow

3Arena - Dublin

Stadium MK - Milton Keynes

Home Park - Plymouth

Ashton Gate - Bristol

Carrow Road - Norwich

City Ground - Nottingham

St Mary's Stadium - Southampton 

Swansea.com Stadium - Swansea

Riverside Stadium - Middlesborough 

13 hours ago, stanh said:

For Take That seems to be similar to their tour in 2019, with a mixture of arenas and stadiums... So far these are the venues I've seen teasing dates (rumoured to be announced tomorrow at around 8am).

Co-Op Live - Manchester

The O2 - London

Utilita Arena - Birmingham

Utilita Arena - Sheffield

OVO Hydro - Glasgow

3Arena - Dublin

Stadium MK - Milton Keynes

Home Park - Plymouth

Ashton Gate - Bristol

Carrow Road - Norwich

City Ground - Nottingham

St Mary's Stadium - Southampton 

Swansea.com Stadium - Swansea

Riverside Stadium - Middlesborough 

They would still sell out about 3/4 O2 nights in a row. Can’t seem some of these venues doing only one night (which im sure your aware of).

point is they are still absolutely massive and therefore would be surprised with a legend slot. Stranger things have happened though. It would be a big booking though. 

they are one of those acts that don’t quite fit the legends slot (too big/ expensive) or headline. 

id be there though for either. 

Edited by danbailey80

Admittedly i have to caveat this by saying i've hated Take That for absolutely years - since i was at secondary school, in fact! - but i just cannot countenance them playing at all. OK pop is increasingly appearing at Glastonbury, and they do/have written their own songs and arent as manufactured as other acts, are very famous and loved in the UK, and lots of people go to their gigs, which are big old productions. 

They appear to hit every metric for headlining or legending EXCEPT Barlow is an absolute throbber of the very highest order and i can only presume that the Eavae concur with this, and dont want him anywhere near. God bless them. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Admittedly i have to caveat this by saying i've hated Take That for absolutely years - since i was at secondary school, in fact! - but i just cannot countenance them playing at all. OK pop is increasingly appearing at Glastonbury, and they do/have written their own songs and arent as manufactured as other acts, are very famous and loved in the UK, and lots of people go to their gigs, which are big old productions. 

They appear to hit every metric for headlining or legending EXCEPT Barlow is an absolute throbber of the very highest order and i can only presume that the Eavae concur with this, and dont want him anywhere near. God bless them. 

they're also massive in Europe so wouldnt be surprised to see European dates and possibly swinging back to the UK specially for Glasto. 

4 hours ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Stick 'em on the Avalon at most

If Sugababes caused a dangerous road block and shut the field down, what do you think might happen when Take That rock up? 

You'll have middle aged woman and gays* stuck in the bushes all the way along old the railway line! 

* I cannot confirm nor deny if I'm including myself in this situation.

32 minutes ago, stuie said:

If Sugababes caused a dangerous road block and shut the field down, what do you think might happen when Take That rock up? 

You'll have middle aged woman and gays* stuck in the bushes all the way along old the railway line! 

* I cannot confirm nor deny if I'm including myself in this situation.

Apologies Stuie this was me in a bad mood before my coffee this morning. As much as I love my cheesy pop I draw the line at Take That.

I agree though logistically they're too big for the Avalon. Where do you think they fit on the bill if playing - probably Pyramid opener?

Edited by Monty Pythagoras

11 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Apologies Stuie this was me in a bad mood before my coffee this morning. As much as I love my cheesy pop I draw the line at Take That.

I agree though logistically they're too big for the Avalon. Where do you think they fit on the bill if playing - probably Pyramid opener?

If they are playing it’ll be legend or headliner … hopefully the former …I’d probably see them daytime and not headlining 

45 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

If they play, it's the legend slot. 

They aren't pyramid headliners and won't play anywhere else as they are too popular.   Them not headlining, is the same as P!NK not headlining - they all sell out arenas and stadiums but it's not the right fit for the G.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Why is P!NK not the right fit?

Anymore than say Katie Perry for example

Probably better off asking @emily_eavis about both of those but I'd say large fanbase but not enough cross generational appeal and a narrow fan demographic.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Ah we're talking headliners specifically?

So P!NK could play, but not headline? *

*Personally I think P!NK would be a great headliner, much more fun than most who've already headlined.

P!NK would only headline, so she won't play.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Probably better off asking @emily_eavis about both of those but I'd say large fanbase but not enough cross generational appeal and a narrow fan demographic.

I don't think Emily Eavis has ever suggested that P!nk isn't "the right fit". Nor do I think she would say that. So she's not the one to ask.

Personally, I think she'd have no hesitation in making the booking if the artist was eager, willing to play for the right price, and the timing lined up on both sides.

5 hours ago, eddie_corrigan said:

they're also massive in Europe so wouldnt be surprised to see European dates and possibly swinging back to the UK specially for Glasto. 

Gary Barlow has never wanted to do it.

3 hours ago, stuie said:

If they play, it's the legend slot. 

They aren't pyramid headliners and won't play anywhere else as they are too popular.   Them not headlining, is the same as P!NK not headlining - they all sell out arenas and stadiums but it's not the right fit for the G.

Pink is absolutely the right fit for the festival and would be a great booking. She is a gay icon as well!, it doesn't get anymore fitting for Glastonbury and the Eavis' right now.

On the subject of Emily saying "not the right fit" - obviously she doesn't say that about anyone because she's far more diplomatic than that. But the closest I've ever seen her to doing so was when asked about The Spice Girls when she closed the door fairly firmly.

No reason to think that Take That, as an artist of a similar ilk, would be considered any differently.

20 minutes ago, incident said:

But the closest I've ever seen her to doing so was when asked about The Spice Girls when she closed the door fairly firmly.

Seems fairly random, like she's got some personal problems with them.

Been plenty of acts just as shite and "cheesy" play.