2024 Headliners

11 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Elton was fantastic (by all accounts). As only a casual observer, I weighed up my interest in seeing him against my inclination to be in that vast a crowd, plus my vantage point and sound quality. I decided it wasn't worth it and opted for Homme and the Lads. Best decision I made all weekend. There's too much going on around the gaff to spend any time standing through someone just to tick a box.

I think it's worth the ticking a box if it interests you at all, if it doesn't then them being good has to relevance to you. 

19 minutes ago, northernangel said:

I think it's worth the ticking a box if it interests you at all, if it doesn't then them being good has to relevance to you. 

Each to their own. Over the years I've probably missed out on things I really would have enjoyed over seeing someone just to say "I was there". For me, that's where the headliner can be a distraction.

10 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Each to their own. Over the years I've probably missed out on things I really would have enjoyed over seeing someone just to say "I was there". For me, that's where the headliner can be a distraction.

Chems instead of Killers

Roisin Murphy instead of Mccartney

QOTSA instead of Elton

3 best decisions I've made at the fest leaving my group and not going to see an act to just say I was there.

If you were just going to Elton to tick the box, then you were also putting up with either being crushed to a standstill at the front, or being so far back you could barely see anything. That kind of stuff is bearable if you love the music (as I do) but no way would I put up with that for an act I wasn't into.

I was elsewhere for Adele and Ed and yes it was strangely quiet... Not sure Shaggy was the best decision though....

Anyone else kinda feel a bit weird with the likely Dua Lipa booking?

I don't think there is any argument against her popularity (the numbers don't lie) but it just feels like an "Oh okay so that's happening" sort of booking. I feel like it will be reasonably busy, but it doesn't feel like a hype booking.

I dunno, maybe it's just me but it certainly doesn't feel like an exciting booking, even if it's a solid booking

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

The 2 female acts was referring to the actual headliners, not the Legend.

She said there *could* be 2 female headliners next year. Same position as in the Guardian interview from last year by the sound of it.

One in, one isn't female, one still to nail down, presumably whoever the call was from the previous week.

Plans could have change hence the reason for her pushing the legend as the forth headliner and a women so she can claim that she was right. 

let’s say it was Cher for the legend and Dua as a headliner she can still say I was  right in saying there would be 2 female headline acts 

9 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

If you were just going to Elton to tick the box, then you were also putting up with either being crushed to a standstill at the front, or being so far back you could barely see anything. That kind of stuff is bearable if you love the music (as I do) but no way would I put up with that for an act I wasn't into.

I was elsewhere for Adele and Ed and yes it was strangely quiet... Not sure Shaggy was the best decision though....

Was pretty tight for Elton … would have liked a bit of room to at least shuffle . Definately a downside of the big acts 

5 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

I understand that it's not the theme of the thread, but could someone give me a super brief summary of what happened? I've seen allusions to this a few times and it always made me wonder.

Neil put the site up for sale, Iggy bought it. Around six months ago, I think. Nothing has really changed in terms of format or content. Very much business as usual

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Neil put the site up for sale, Iggy bought it. Around six months ago, I think. Nothing has really changed in terms of format or content. Very much business as usual

yep this along with a couple of new mods (1 returning )  to help out . couple of things added to minimise spam , and ip blocks removed to help everyone access site 

Edited by Crazyfool01

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hot British star stepping up to the biggest stage in the world to prove herself a worthy of stepping up to the next level.

It's giving Stormzy.

Not really the same as Stormzy. A fairer comparison would be Ed Sheeran in terms of stardom, but obviously Dua will smash it in a way that Sheeran never could because her music is good and fun.

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Not really the same as Stormzy. A fairer comparison would be Ed Sheeran in terms of stardom, but obviously Dua will smash it in a way that Sheeran never could because her music is good and fun.

Sheeran was alreadyb a stadium filler when he headlined.  He'd done 3 nights at Wembley.  As a live act Dula Peep is nowhere near that level.

As someone will no doubt shortly remind us, even her first / last arena tour took an age to shift tickets.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sheeran was alreadyb a stadium filler when he headlined.  He'd done 3 nights at Wembley.  As a live act Dula Peep is nowhere near that level.

As someone will no doubt shortly remind us, even her first / last arena tour took an age to shift tickets.

Obviously she's not as big as Sheeran in 2017, but she's closer to him on the scale than Stormzy 2019 (not forgetting he hadn't even dropped HITH at that point yet).

Tbf she's somewhere between the two, it's not that deep.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Obviously she's not as big as Sheeran in 2017, but she's closer to him on the scale than Stormzy 2019 (not forgetting he hadn't even dropped HITH at that point yet).

Tbf she's somewhere between the two, it's not that deep.

Agreed to that. But I also think she's going to pull out all the stops the way that he did. It won't just be another stop on the tour.

29 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I don't think there is any argument against her popularity (the numbers don't lie) but it just feels like an "Oh okay so that's happening" sort of booking. I feel like it will be reasonably busy, but it doesn't feel like a hype booking.

I dunno, maybe it's just me but it certainly doesn't feel like an exciting booking, even if it's a solid booking

I hear where you're coming from, but I think that's a symptom of us becoming used to absolutely stellar legendary bookings like Elton. At this stage, I think only Madonna is in that category, and everyone else will either be a return visitor or someone who is much earlier in their career. But we should look at those huge bookings as the exception, not the norm.

I'm no fan, but absolutely thinks she is headliner status now.

33 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Probably the number 1 act possible this year for most of my lot (22 year olds).. cannot wait for her to smash it

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hot British star stepping up to the biggest stage in the world to prove herself a worthy of stepping up to the next level.

It's giving Stormzy.

Dua Lipa is far bigger than stormzy will ever be

she's in talks to headline coachella etc

34 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I think it depends on the reaction to (and let's be honest, marketing of) the new album. If it's really well received, packed full of collaborations and hyped beyond belief, it'll probably look like a really good booking. Even more so if she headlines Coachella (rumour) and crushes it there. Right now, I'm not 100% convinced, but the next six months could catapult her into the stratosphere

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Probably the number 1 act possible this year for most of my lot (22 year olds).. cannot wait for her to smash it

Dua Lipa is far bigger than stormzy will ever be

she's in talks to headline coachella etc

Think it's really worth considering the impact of COVID in terms of Dua Lipa's momentum - she had an album come out right as we went into lockdown which managed to be inescapable even if you couldn't escape your own home. But I do think not being able to play big shows that summer off the back of it means she still feels 'untested' to an extent.

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I think it depends on the reaction to (and let's be honest, marketing of) the new album. If it's really well received, packed full of collaborations and hyped beyond belief, it'll probably look like a really good booking. Even more so if she headlines Coachella (rumour) and crushes it there. Right now, I'm not 100% convinced, but the next six months could catapult her into the stratosphere

Hence my post earlier that the industry folk who've heard it must be expecting big things from it i.e. she's not turned in Neither Fish Nor Flesh Vol. 2

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Agreed to that. But I also think she's going to pull out all the stops the way that he did. It won't just be another stop on the tour.

Agreed to that.

27 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I think that's a symptom of us becoming used to absolutely stellar legendary bookings like Elton.

It does feel like the end of an era with so many of these God-tier acts hanging up their boots. A run of McCartney/ Elton/ Madonna would be truly ridiculous and probably end up making 2025 look a bit paltry in comparison. 

The only mega act left I can even think of is AC/DC and even they don’t fully feel in that ‘simply too big for festivals’ tier of Elton.