2024 Headliners

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Well again, youre literally running out of older acts so something has to give. And they shouldnt care what the audience thinks because again, this thing sells out regardless. I think if they would dare experiment with have a normal lineup announcement and a ticket sale to follow we could see how it goes and if the audience changes drastically or not. Just because the festival skews older doesnt mean it has to stay that way forever.

Why fix what ain't broke - old or young lineup the current method is good. Making people to go in blind - more fests should do it

Just now, Suprefan said:

Cause they are making the lawn chair people happy. That, and Michael likes his older artists. The whole "if your mum knows this artist then they can play glasto" never rings more true cause of it.

Its had Billie Eilish, Kendrick and Stormzy in the last 3 festivals.

This year was an outlier, but that's because it was an outlier.

Just now, Colorblindjames said:

Well done you've just answered your own question.

"Please give an example of a festival that is not financially dependent on ticket sales. "

It's still very much dependent on ticket sales.  But stadium acts take a pay cut to play there, which means the ticket sales can be used to fund the rest of it (and the charitable side).

5 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

So why focus on old legacy acts? 

By old legacy acts, you mean worlds biggest artists.

Who knows?   They clearly don't have a clue what they are doing! 

image.png.174251b59253bf62eedf85462265cdfe.png

image.png.750799721f71251caa32d9faf6b779b3.png

1 minute ago, Colorblindjames said:

Cool picture. Do they not do the same legacy stuff in Hyde Park? Should Glastonbury not try to be different?

They are …. It’s pointless sticking a small act on a massive stage like pyramid . Career ending rather than career building if nobody watched them 

1 minute ago, Colorblindjames said:

Cool picture. Do they not do the same legacy stuff in Hyde Park? Should Glastonbury not try to be different?

Different to BST? 

You've been to Glasto and BST, right? 

Out of interest, who would you choose to be headliners of the biggest stage of the biggest festival in 2024?  

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

O'Rod will headline multiple times you'd imagine. She'll do the legend slot in 2075 aswell. New album is a bit douchebag pop. Not sure how that would work. 

Never been into Madge but she'd pull an enormo crowd. Biggest act thats still about yet to headline.  

Maybe Taylor too  

As i say. not my call at all, but I think the argument that 'loads of people like it so it must be right' is a bit iffy, really. Stuff which is really really sh*t is massively popular. I don't think it should be a barometer of if something has value/is worthwhile or not.

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

O'Rod will headline multiple times you'd imagine. She'll do the legend slot in 2075 aswell. New album is a bit douchebag pop. Not sure how that would work. 

Never been into Madge but she'd pull an enormo crowd. Biggest act thats still about yet to headline.  

As you know, I think the new album is fantastic. The thing with her and Lily Allen in '22 was hands down the best 5 minutes of that entire festival. Pure unadulterated joy.

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

As i say. not my call at all, but I think the argument that 'loads of people like it so it must be right' is a bit iffy, really. Stuff which is really really sh*t is massively popular. I don't think it should be a barometer of if something has value/is worthwhile or not.

The reverse is also true.  Some acts deserve paltry crowds 😉

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Different to BST? 

You've been to Glasto and BST, right? 

Out of interest, who would you choose to be headliners of the biggest stage of the biggest festival in 2024?  

The festival managed to get Billie Eilish and Kendrick in the past few years so they've shown they can get a contemporary headliner. Primavera and other festivals appear to be able to sell tickets and remain contemporary. 

2 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

The festival managed to get Billie Eilish and Kendrick in the past few years so they've shown they can get a contemporary headliner. Primavera and other festivals appear to be able to sell tickets and remain contemporary. 

Primavera had Pet Shop Boys, Blur, New Order and Depeche Mode headlining this year.

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And Glastonbury have Dua Lipa for next year...?

16 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

yeah maybe we should get bbc camera crews walking around the south east corner at 4am

Do acts have to play the pyramid to make it contemporary then ? Or could the festival still be contemporary with them playing one of the many other stages ?