2024 Headliners

Think her statement could be looked at in two ways - the optimistic view that she’s worded it carefully and is simply denying that anything has been confirmed at this point but ultimately that’s our trio, or the pessimistic view that she’s getting in front of it quickly because Madonna didn’t actually pan out (yet, or at all).

2 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Think her statement could be looked at in two ways - the optimistic view that she’s worded it carefully and is simply denying that anything has been confirmed at this point but ultimately that’s our trio, or the pessimistic view that she’s getting in front of it quickly because Madonna didn’t actually pan out (yet, or at all).

I think you have your optimistic and pessimistic the wrong way round 😁

29 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Does Emily usually release statements like that when tabloids spill the headliners? I don’t recall that ever being the case before which is interesting.

I think the statement has come out because it’s before ticket day. If she stays silent it would be construed as confirmation and people buy tickets assuming it’s those three, there would be backlash when one or me don’t turn up.

My feeling is that it is this three, but perhaps full contracts are not in place yet so any of them could easily withdraw and an announcement would be premature.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, maelzoid said:

I think the statement has come out because it’s before ticket day. If she stays silent it would be construed as confirmation and people buy tickets assuming it’s those three, there would be backlash when one or me don’t turn up.

My feeling is that it is this three, but perhaps full contracts are not in place yet so any of them could easily withdraw and an announcement would be premature.

Thats a good point, and I’m sure she doesn’t want another Prince scenario with an act thinking the festival is marketing themselves off the back of their name and pulling out because of it. 

• Upvote 1

Unusual for Emily. I wonder if she’s worried about another Prince situation where a headliner that’s close but not actually confirmed gets scared off by a perception that the festival has ‘announced’ early and is using the name to sell tickets.

21 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I guess a lot depends on how Emily is defining “confirmed”. If by that she means ‘announced’, then she can easily deny the story because obviously nobody has been announced yet. But if she takes confirmed to mean secured to play the festival, that changes the game and one or more may be wrong. 

@roughbloke mentioned he’d heard Dua and Coldplay are locked in. No mention of Madge (but no denying it either). Could they still be haggling her down and she’s not signed yet? 

Madonna calls the shots of when she’s announced. Emily is just doing damage control to brush over the leak.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah. It's a bit of worry that Madge isn't locked.

Yep. For many, (the rumour of) Coldplay seems to offset the possible expense and prestige of Madonna. With her, the trio holds up. Without her, it looks much weaker...unless they can dig out an act of a similar stature...but those options are dwindling. 

1 hour ago, jjames33 said:

Emily Eavis has posted on Twitter to say the rumours are untrue and that they will announce the line up in the new year.

in light of this, I’ll be fuming if January comes and it turns out it IS Dua/Coldplay/Madge

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

That's my take as well. Of course the news about confirmed headliners is untrue, but only because they haven't been confirmed yet... as you say, carefully worded.

I think Kalifire here is close to the point. Wording is key. I definitely trust our source and think two are confirmed. I reckon any Madonna paperwork etc may still be done and they would just use the angle laughig it off that well Madonna was not actually signed off by then and we can't not be the first one's confirming it.

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yep. For many, (the rumour of) Coldplay seems to offset the possible expense and prestige of Madonna. With her, the trio holds up. Without her, it looks much weaker...unless they can dig out an act of a similar stature...but those options are dwindling. 

Yeah, when Pink briefly entered the equation it became apparent that Madonna is what makes that trio not look a little naff. I like Dua, and Coldplay are obviously huge, but replace Madonna and it kind of falls apart. 

7 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Unusual for Emily. I wonder if she’s worried about another Prince situation where a headliner that’s close but not actually confirmed gets scared off by a perception that the festival has ‘announced’ early and is using the name to sell tickets.

Well, to be honest we don’t know that’s not the case. Maybe they are worried about the sale so they slipped out a cheeky leak! 

15 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yep.

Dua Coldplay Madge looks great

Dua Coldplay Pink looks, well, not great

Funny old game