2024 Headliners

2 minutes ago, Mark H said:

One thing that’s bugging me about the Coldplay rumour is that every one of their European shows are announced and sold out. If they are booked to play on Pointy Mc Pointface I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t have announced it already.

Perhaps because Emily indicated they wished to announce all the headliners (and maybe more) in one go early 2024, and they’re still planning to do that?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mark H said:

One thing that’s bugging me about the Coldplay rumour is that everyone of their European shows are announced and sold out. If they are booked to play on Pointy Mc Pointface I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t have announced it already.

You could say that about nearly every act that ever plays though.

The overwhelming majority of acts don't get announced until whenever the Festival and artist mutually agree on - which is more often than not long after their other dates, and the specifics of which are likely based on factors that aren't visible to us and probably wouldn't even occur to us.

4 minutes ago, Mark H said:

One thing that’s bugging me about the Coldplay rumour is that every one of their European shows are announced and sold out. If they are booked to play on Pointy Mc Pointface I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t have announced it already.

because they've played several times before and wont be the announcement they would chose if Madonna is booked ?

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

because they've played several times before and wont be the announcement they would chose if Madonna is booked ?

I think this is probably the most likely. It also leads to an interesting thought exercise around who the bigger live act is?  Madonna has legendary status as a recording artist and as an icon and that status spans decades.  But could she consistently sell out stadiums in the way Coldplay has this tour?

Could an argument be made that Coldplay would actually be the bigger (not necessarily better) act to announce? 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And Artic Monkeys usually shift more tickets than Elton John.....

I'd disagree on this final tour but in general Arctics priced were more reasonable than Eltons for better seats. I wouldn't say the £75 my seat cost for Watford was good value, it was just the most I was willing to pay.

If I was a dedicated fan of Arctics most recent material, I'd have been the £80 they were asking a few years back because I know I enjoyed the early stuff.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And Artic Monkeys usually shift more tickets than Elton John.....

Fair response if true, no one is going to argue that Artics are a bigger booking than Elton.

I would query if it’s correct though. Elton sold out stadia worldwide for a few years running on his last tour. Outside of the UK Artics tend to be an arena band, with the odd exception.

Yeah, I was meaning in the UK. Elton was playing fairly small venues until his farewell tour.

I guess it's the same point I made a few pages back. Coldplay and Artic Monkeys have played several times and were a common sight on festival bills at most points over the last two decades. They're run of the mill bookings, whereas the likes of Macca, Elton and Madge (and the Stones, Adele, etc) are less commonplace and more newsworthy. 

Ticket sales and popularity are a factor, but maybe not the main one.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mark H said:

It also leads to an interesting thought exercise around who the bigger live act is?

This just shows what a strange and plastic term ‘big’ is. There’s bits of selling power, cultural capital, rarity, chart popularity, critical acclaim, name recognition, etc. 

Asking if Coldplay are ‘bigger’ than Madonna is a pretty unanswerable question. Are they a more notable booking? Absolutely not. 

10 hours ago, adequate8 said:

Dua is 100% headlining 

Saturday night

@Neilcan vouch for me

Not 1 comment on this so far?

Big gig for Dua to get, I’d presumed it would have been the Friday.  Coldplay certainly seem more like a Sunday night local friendly (I know that’s not really a thing) act than the Friday.  Wonder if they’ve had to draft someone like Dave (who I believed was playing but not headlining) in as Friday. 

8 minutes ago, sisco said:

Big gig for Dua to get, I’d presumed it would have been the Friday.  Coldplay certainly seem more like a Sunday night local friendly (I know that’s not really a thing) act than the Friday.  Wonder if they’ve had to draft someone like Dave (who I believed was playing but not headlining) in as Friday. 

It does make you wonder if Emily pulled the trigger on the "really big American artist" comment a little too soon, but in fairness she did say they'd only been "offered" them, and "hoped" they would headline. 

A trio of Dave, Dua and Coldplay would release the Lonsdales. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, sisco said:

I don't think the "Neil can vouch for me" comment was on there last night, the post has been edited. I thought it was just a comment from someone convinced of the fact rather than having info.

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It does make you wonder if Emily pulled the trigger on the "really big American artist" comment a little too soon, but in fairness she did say they'd only been "offered" them, and "hoped" they would headline. 

Unless it's O-Rod, or the far less likely last men standing: Bruce, Stevie or The Killers.

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I don't think the "Neil can vouch for me" comment was on there last night, the post has been edited. I thought it was just a comment from someone convinced of the fact rather than having info.

Ahh maybe he’s added that after talking to him this morning.  

5 minutes ago, sisco said:

Ahh maybe he’s added that after talking to him this morning.  

I'd have paid more attention if I'd seen that. Maybe it was there (I think I was on my way to bed 😁), apologies if so @adequate8, I'm sure you've had good info in the past. Saturday night it is then.

35 minutes ago, sisco said:

I feel like if they had Dave booked and Madonna is out it’s possible they’ve shifted Dua to Saturday, Coldplay to Sunday and bumped up Dave. Makes more sense than reaching out to O Rod or someone else. What are the rumoured Other/Woodsies headliners as I think I might be spending some time away from the Pyramid for the headliners if that’s the case. 

Edited by foolee

6 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Quick Google says Rodrigo isn't playing any festivals this year. Big enough or not (I don't really care) this surely comes close to ruling her out.

She also wasn’t playing any festivals in ‘22 when she did Glastonbury, but yeah, I feel like she wouldn’t do that same thing twice - next time she plays Glastonbury it’s as part of a string of festival dates.