2024 Headliners

9 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Welcome to eFests, where the booking of Elton John was questioned by large proportions of the forum

Was it ? Must have been reading something different …. Questioned by some definately . But large proportions I’m not sure . As always dissenting voices might well shout louder but the poll showing attendance showed he would be seen by a large majority of people on here 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Was it ? Must have been reading something different …. Questioned by some definately . But large proportions I’m not sure . As always dissenting voices might well shout louder but the poll showing attendance showed he would be seen by a large majority of people on here 

This is how I read the forum. My eyes told me that for some unfathomable reason (could rank with the great mysteries of all time) the forum as a whole were very much in favour.

8 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Not sure what's happened there as that post was from someone else, I replied to but not with those words. Stokesy post that

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Never understood The Green Day praise, even more the thinking that they're some sort of radical, edgy punk thing.

Same. Thought so when I saw them too. Think theyd a supersoaker on stage. Couple of fun little tunes but mainly douchebag.

One step on the douchebag ladder away from the American Pie soundtrack. Just weren't quite douchebaggy enough. 

Edit. f**k, they made the 2nd movie

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 1

I thoroughly enjoyed their music in my youth in that run of albums dookie, nimrod, warning and insomniac. Not sure in what order. Wouldn't say they were considered middle of the road at that time although middle aged may better fit the bill.

Would happily watch Green Day over any of the proposed trio. Same goes for Pearl Jam or the 'Mode or Swift. Dua has huge potential and its super she's playing - but the other two... good grief what a snoozer.

Kasabian and Mumforts have headlined this thing and people are genuinely suggesting Green Day shouldnt or couldnt. Sheesh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Would happily watch Green Day over any of the proposed trio. Same goes for Pearl Jam or the 'Mode or Swift. Dua has huge potential and its super she's playing - but the other two... good grief what a snoozer.

Kasabian and Mumforts have headlined this thing and people are genuinely suggesting Green Day shouldnt or couldnt. Sheesh.

Green Day is won't. No one is saying shouldn't or couldn't.

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Could be me/my weird brain but theres a shift after happening. The natural process of biggest stars appearing has diminished slightly.

Pearl Jam/Swift/Green Day/'Mode - to not get even one of these 4 potential debutants seems strange to me. Ignore Madge. Ignore the biggies that are hovvering around but have played in the past like Springsteen, Blur, Tallica etc. Stevie/Dua/Coldplay is a glum trio.

The festival has done insanely well over the last fifteen or so years bagging some of the biggest acts on the planet for considerably lower than they’d ask of anywhere else in the world, but that well of ‘ginormous acts willing to play for f**k all’ was always going to run dry at some point, and them obviously holding out for Madonna to be the shining star of this years lineup has dented this years trio a little, even if Stevie is a great replacement.

As for the acts you’ve mentioned, Pearl Jam and Depeche Mode are both very much ‘huge with their fanbases but outside of that not so much’ type acts, and money may also be an obstacle. Swift obviously has her own plans this year which don’t include festivals. Green Day I can see doing it one day but considering the festival doesn’t dabble at all with pop/punk it might be the case the festival isn’t bothered about them (although I agree that they should - much like Metallica headlining because they’re the biggest metal band, Green Day deserve a go at it for being the biggest in their genre). 

• Upvote 1

Green Day have been playing tiny shows all over the place (random London pub, small international venues), I don't think they'd say no because the pay was too little, snd there's no way they'd do anything less than headline (bar secret set), so I think they'll headline one day. And it'll be a party.

Edited by Gejonimo

1 minute ago, FloopFiller said:

The festival has done insanely well over the last fifteen or so years bagging some of the biggest acts on the planet for considerably lower than they’d ask of anywhere else in the world, but that well of ‘ginormous acts willing to play for f**k all’ was always going to run dry at some point, and them obviously holding out for Madonna to be the shining star of this years lineup has dented this years trio a little, even if Stevie is a great replacement.

As for the acts you’ve mentioned, Pearl Jam and Depeche Mode are both very much ‘huge with their fanbases but outside of that not so much’ type acts, and money may also be an obstacle. Swift obviously has her own plans this year which don’t include festivals. Green Day I can see doing it one day but considering the festival doesn’t dabble at all with pop/punk it might be the case the festival isn’t bothered about them (although I agree that they should - much like Metallica headlining because they’re the biggest metal band, Green Day deserve a go at it for being the biggest in their genre). 

Clear and supportive to a fault mate. As usual.

I've been the beneficiary of that 15 year run... and youre spot on... the line up will always look Madge-free and the what-ifs and wtfs will persist.

Hopeful for strong 2nd tier. LCDSS, Juana's Addicción, Ty, Patti will take pressure off.

26 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Neither Kasabian or Mumfords should have been asked, the later probably being the worst headline booking in the history of the festival.

8 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Neither Kasabian or Mumfords should have been asked, the later probably being the worst headline booking in the history of the festival.

Cool, but lets not kid ourselves that the biggest selling punk-adjacent band of all time couldnt/shouldnt/wouldnt headline Glasters. The top billing each year offers a defining characteristic. Huge pressure on Dua Lipa to knock it into Big Ground this June given the other two spuds.

Green Day being described as "MoR" is peak eFests Pitchforkery. Accessible pop-punk, yep. But middle of the road? That's a hilarious take.

Opinion on their musicality is subjective, but you can't deny that they're still one of the biggest and most popular acts around. The gatekeeping of the sanctity of the Pyramid stage is weird. The question here is not could they or should they, it's will they? They've probably peaked in terms of their "best" output (but so have numerous heritage acts who've headlined), so maybe the festival feel their time has come and gone. Budget may have played a part in that, too.

If they don't, it won't be because they can't or shouldn't. 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Stronger set of headliners than 14, 15, 17 or 19. And Elton doing all the heavy lifting last year.

10 > 24
11 > 24
13 > 24
14 = 24
15 < 24
16 < 24
17 > 24
19 > 24
22 > 24
23 > 24

'Tallica was memorable and noteworthy so I'll give it the credit its due. 15 and 16 both stinkers imo - 16 the worst Glastonbury Ive experienced. Since then every year has been better than Dua/Cold 'n Play/Steve.

58 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Disagree on Dua, I couldn’t think of anything more dull since they pump it on Heart all day/everyday. I can’t escape my view that it’s just fairly generic pop music.

I’d see Green Day over almost anything though, similar to you. Im going to the Manchester show the week before to hear Dookie and American Idiot in full! 😊

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Stronger set of headliners than 14, 15, 17 or 19. And Elton doing all the heavy lifting last year.

I think any year that has two repeat headliners always looks a little ‘eh’, even if one of those headliners is one of the all time greats like we have this time. This year is very comparable to ‘19 tbh so hoping the undercard once again makes up for the somewhat uninspired top line.

• Upvote 1

Just now, discgoesmic said:

Disagree on Dua, I couldn’t think of anything more dull since they pump it on Heart all day/everyday. I can’t escape my view that it’s just fairly generic pop music.

I’d see Green Day over almost anything though, similar to you. Im going to the Manchester show the week before to hear Dookie and American Idiot in full! 😊

Dua is box office and more than deserves her shot. Seen her twice (?) over the years and she'll do the biz on the 'Mid. A fully energised Steve will be triumphant but I have HUGE worries given my last experience at one of his shows. Coldplay is like the relative that doesn't know when to f**k off home on Christmas night. If they never played Glasters again that would be way too soon.