2024 Headliners

13 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Excuse me if it's been said but when people say that the Coldplay booking is fine because it's been 8 years since they headlined. It's only been 4 festivals since they headlined 

You'd struggle to find any major festival that has not had a repeat headliner in 4 years, let alone 8.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Agree with the thought it is most likely to be Friday. Also, stating/restating 2 female headliners has given enough time for people to get their head around SZA headlining the pyramid (Even though the press don't seem to have cottoned on yet so will be a shock for a lot of people).

I'm still not 100% on this.  I've no real idea why.  I think that by keeping it under wraps (more so than usual) this year means there must be a curveball incoming and whilst SZA would be a curveball, I'd expect something that would be more of a "wow" moment than a "who?" moment.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

You'd struggle to find any major festival that has not had a repeat headliner in 4 years, let alone 8.

this is always overlooked. R&L have people back all the time. The 1975 and Post Malone spring to mind as people who have played years in a row. T in the Park used to have a lot of Kasabian repeats when I used to go - 2010, 2012 and 2015 and then trnsmt in 2017. Liam Gallgher/ Courteeners play trnsmt every other year too.

Glasto has very little repeated at the top end. Coldplay are basically the only ones. They'd be daft to turn them down.

5 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I'm still not 100% on this.  I've no real idea why.  I think that by keeping it under wraps (more so than usual) this year means there must be a curveball incoming and whilst SZA would be a curveball, I'd expect something that would be more of a "wow" moment than a "who?" moment.  

I'm the same - as far as I can tell the info has come from the fact that she's at BST and she's female.  But not much more.  Ah well, whatever, we should know soon!

36 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Excuse me if it's been said but when people say that the Coldplay booking is fine because it's been 8 years since they headlined. It's only been 4 festivals since they headlined 

It might have been mentioned! 

There's just not enough superstars in the world these days, is there?

7 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I'm the same - as far as I can tell the info has come from the fact that she's at BST and she's female.  But not much more.  Ah well, whatever, we should know soon!

Same here. Assuming legend slot isn't being considered a "headline" slot by Emily (sounds like that's Shania), and looking at other big female acts about, I guess some possibilities other than SZA could be:

Stevie Nicks (she's playing Cardiff with Billy Joel the week before, so maybe a co-headline set to top the bill?)

Kylie (doing BST but has did Legend slot in 2019 so doesn't seem that inspired)

Madge (somehow they've managed to agree something after the breakdown in negotiations)

Adele (her Munich shows don't appear to be an exclusive, just the venue they are creating is exclusively for her)

Rihanna (just played a wedding in India and was meant to headline last year)

Don't think any of the above are too farfetched, but there seems to be reliable rumblings on SZA so that's the best we got to go off until the big reveal later this week...

Edited by mnightjamalan
More info

15 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Yeah I mean I'm not 100% on it.  In someways it would be cool if it is SZA, be cool if it was something else.  But yeah I get the sentiment that there could (and for a lot of people there will be) be a "who?" moment rather than a wow moment.

4 minutes ago, mnightjamalan said:

Same here. Assuming legend slot isn't being considered a "headline" slot by Emily (sounds like that's Shania), and looking at other big female acts about, I guess some possibilities other than SZA could be:

Stevie Nicks (she's playing Cardiff with Billy Joel the week before, so maybe a co-headline set to top the bill?)

Madge (somehow they've managed to agree something after the breakdown in negotiations)

Adele (her Munich shows don't appear to be an exclusive, just the venue they are creating is exclusively for her)

Don't think any of the above are too farfetched, but there seems to be reliable rumblings on SZA so that's the best we got to go off until the big reveal later this week...

Interesting list.  Stevie and Billy would be fantastic (I know others on here say Stevie is not a headliner but I'd still see her).  And Billy I'd genuinely be excited for.

Kylie not sure I would - probably but saw her in 2019.

Madge - never been a huge fan but come on, it's the only time I'd see her, so I'd be there

Adele - saw her in 2016.  Would consider seeing her again but depends on clashes

Rihanna - again, not a huge fan but would consider seeing her as I wouldn't see her anywhere else.

Sza - probably not but would give her another listen before making my mind up.

5 minutes ago, fakeplastictrees2000 said:

you have info or a guess?

it is info.

but good chance they might also just be following the most likely and what they've heard in industry. 

My gut is it is likely correct. 

Edited by danbailey80

48 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

this is always overlooked. R&L have people back all the time. The 1975 and Post Malone spring to mind as people who have played years in a row. T in the Park used to have a lot of Kasabian repeats when I used to go - 2010, 2012 and 2015 and then trnsmt in 2017. Liam Gallgher/ Courteeners play trnsmt every other year too.

Glasto has very little repeated at the top end. Coldplay are basically the only ones. They'd be daft to turn them down.

Difference is that the crowd turnover at Reading is much greater than at Glastonbury. They can have an act headline every four years because in that time the majority of punters have aged out and moved on. Reading isnt really national news anymore so the general public barely register it's happening.

57 minutes ago, mnightjamalan said:

If we’re going down the route of it being a ‘surprise’, Ariana Grande has to be in the conversation. New album out & she’s the sort of artist that could drop last minute tour plans and still sell them out instantly. 

(I think it’ll be SZA, just putting another name out there that is female & possible) 

29 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Difference is that the crowd turnover at Reading is much greater than at Glastonbury. They can have an act headline every four years because in that time the majority of punters have aged out and moved on. Reading isnt really national news anymore so the general public barely register it's happening.

very good point - and a sad but true reality 

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

It's the best part of a decade still though. I don't know what % of attendees attended both 2016 and 2024 but it can't be that high surely.

1 hour ago, mnightjamalan said:

Think pretty much all those have been ruled out for a variety of reasons

Just now, Sack truck said:

Any speculation as to what days which headliner will be playing if Dua/SZA/Coldplay?

Coldplay Dua sza is most likely . Dua seems pretty likely for sat but the other 2 could be switched potentially 

• Like 1