2024 Headliners

35 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

Dave being bigger in the UK than a Oasis Gallagher brother is some baffling thinking.

But Dave would headline Glastonbury whereas Noel wouldn't.

10 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

I don’t know the capacity of Vivary Park but Wikipedia says it has 56,000 spring and summer bedding plants. Can Dave claim to have played to that many bedding plants?

im not sure of it either but a rare opportunity to get a mention of it in a headliner. thread that couldn't be missed 🙂 

3 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

But Dave would headline Glastonbury whereas Noel wouldn't.

The day I see Dave's name at the top of the Glasto poster then ill believe he would headline the whole thing. 😄 I don't think Noel would headline either though.

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

Why?

Its just an odd comparison to make. Has Dave written and released any songs as embedded in UK culture and people's minds as Champagne Supernova, Don't Look Back In Anger, Live Forever or Wonderwall? Has he sold 70+ million records? No sleight on Dave at all; overall I prefer him alot more to Oasis. Noel's solo stuff is quite bland and forgettable and fairly sh*t. 😆

Edited by FrogLobster

4 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

The day I see Dave's name at the top of the Glasto poster then ill believe he would headline the whole thing. 😄

Its just an odd comparison to make. Has Dave written and released any songs as embedded in UK culture and people's minds as Champagne Supernova, Don't Look Back In Anger, Live Forever or Wonderwall? Has he sold 70+ million records? No sleight on Dave at all; I prefer him alot more to Oasis. Noel's solo stuff is quite bland and forgettable and fairly sh*t though. 😆

Obviously Noel Gallagher is a bigger celebrity in the UK. But he's not headlining the festival on his own.

You will see Dave at the top of the poster in the next few years. It's inevitable.

10 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

It doesn’t make any sense to you because

A) You’re working really hard drawing all these comparisons and pulling up metrics to try and apply scientific and mathematical criteria to something that doesn’t have any running through it. It often comes down to whether one person thinks a particular act is a headliner and she’s usually right. I’ve seen others do this before and it’s driven them round the bend. 

B) You’re lumping together four acts of different stature that play different types of music. I can’t stand Pink and I really like Fender, but she’s a stadium act so she would headline. Easy.

Fender *could* maybe still find himself stuck at Foals level if his third album bombs, or he never actually releases it which looks a possibility at this stage.

Rodrigo would be a very big sub or a headliner that’s a bit of a gamble but one where by next June they look like they’re bang on the money.

Dave would be a phenomenally huge sub. It may just be down to the intangibles-what age group mix they have with the other headliners or that he’s a British rapper who’s broken through, but he’s headliner level to me.  Saying ‘Act A subbed so why can’t Act B’ doesn’t change that opinion or really matter all that much.

I mean, I kinda get what you mean, but at the same time there are a bunch of criteria to consider. The line-up isn't produced based on the feels and intution, especially the headliners. It's a dreamy idea, but obviously there is a science involved to some degree. Back-catalogue, legendary status, status internationally, status in the UK, how wide is their appeal etc etc.

It absolutely does not come down to whether Emily thinks they're a headliner or not. All of the last two dozen headliners are/were either international megastars or were at the very peak of their powers and no one else was around to invite. Case in point for the latter Mumford in Sons, who wouldn't headline again. 

1 hour ago, FrogLobster said:

The day I see Dave's name at the top of the Glasto poster then ill believe he would headline the whole thing. 😄 I don't think Noel would headline either though.

Its just an odd comparison to make. Has Dave written and released any songs as embedded in UK culture and people's minds as Champagne Supernova, Don't Look Back In Anger, Live Forever or Wonderwall? Has he sold 70+ million records? No sleight on Dave at all; overall I prefer him alot more to Oasis. Noel's solo stuff is quite bland and forgettable and fairly sh*t. 😆

Whereas I’m kind of the other way. I loved Oasis back in the 90s and I actually like Noel’s recent solo output. But I’d definitely put Dave ahead of Noel as a headliner in our year 2024.

9 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

If you've taken the time to research that Sprinter has 4 writers then you must know that he's had a lot more success than just that one song. He was already headliner level before that was released.

Also

It took about 20 seconds to google Sprinter. Still no explaining how O-Rod, Dave, Pink all deserve headliner status when bigger acts have taken sub slots or lower though?

8 hours ago, JonSnow said:

Because how 'big' (big of course meaning lots of different things to different people) an act is, is only one aspect of how likely someone is to be booked as a headliner of Glastonbury festival.

Charlie Puth and James Arthur have 40 million monthly spotify listeners and we would all eat our metaphorical hats if either of them were the 2024 Glastonbury headliner.

Just talking about Dave specifically he ticks many boxes which makes him a suitable headliner;

-Commercial success

-Critical success

-History with the festival playing a set that had a moment (alex on stage) which hit the mainstream.

-Enough albums/songs to fill a headliner slot

-Publicly outspoken personality who's views fit in with the ethos of the festival

-Young/fresh act who has never headlined before

-Would want to do it / not demand a fee Glastonbury wont be willing to pay

-Realistically the only British person in his genre that comes close to ticking all of the above

Thanks for at least giving me some info about Dave I didn't know instead of talking down to me 😁 I do agree though that out of Dave, O-Rod, Pink, Fender, I think Dave will be given his punt first. I just can't see the others in their current careers headlining the Pyramid. Pink feels too kitsch, O-Rod just seems to be a darling of eFesters, Fender perhaps in a couple of years if he continues his trajectory. But again, if Lil Nas X and Lizzo have to take sub slots, Dave could well sub a titan of music like Madonna or someone like that. 

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

It took about 20 seconds to google Sprinter. Still no explaining how O-Rod, Dave, Pink all deserve headliner status when bigger acts have taken sub slots or lower though?

You keep saying that bigger acts have taken sub spots but it's just not true. Pink is a bit of a funny one as others have pointed out, she clearly is headline level in terms of the tickets she shifts but she just doesn't feel like the kinda act that Glasto would actually book to headline.

I don't know what statistics you're looking for to deem an act headline worthy but Dave has had two platinum number one albums (which are huge numbers considering he's predominantly a streaming artist), 3 number one singles and 11 platinum or multi platinum singles. By every metric he's even bigger than Stormzy ever was at this point. It would be insulting for Glastonbury to offer him anything other than the big gig at this point and they'd know that. He might not be at the very top of their list, but his time will certainly come in the next few years.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

You keep saying that bigger acts have taken sub spots but it's just not true. Pink is a bit of a funny one as others have pointed out, she clearly is headline level in terms of the tickets she shifts but she just doesn't feel like the kinda act that Glasto would actually book to headline.

I don't know what statistics you're looking for to deem an act headline worthy but Dave has had two platinum number one albums (which are huge numbers considering he's predominantly a streaming artist), 3 number one singles and 11 platinum or multi platinum singles. By every metric he's even bigger than Stormzy ever was at this point. It would be insulting for Glastonbury to offer him anything other than the big gig at this point and they'd know that. He might not be at the very top of their list, but his time will certainly come in the next few years.

Perhaps, but for my money, he's not bigger than Lil Nas X or Lizzo. He's got a fair few months to change that mind you, but as I said to MEGABOWL, I still think if Glasto were offered the chance to bag Coldplay/Madonna/Rhianna/Dua Lipa/Taylor Swift, Dave would be a nailed on for a sub and it wouldn't be a sleight at him as an artist, just that there's bigger options available.

Out of the four I said before (Fender/Dave/O-Rod/Pink), I'd prefer they gave him the chance over the others.

Just now, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Perhaps, but for my money, he's not bigger than Lil Nas X or Lizzo. He's got a fair few months to change that mind you, but as I said to MEGABOWL, I still think if Glasto were offered the chance to bag Coldplay/Madonna/Rhianna/Dua Lipa/Taylor Swift, Dave would be a nailed on for a sub and it wouldn't be a sleight at him as an artist, just that there's bigger options available.

Out of the four I said before (Fender/Dave/O-Rod/Pink), I'd prefer they gave him the chance over the others.

Okay well to compare to the stats I just posted about Dave...

Lil Nas X has had one album that reached number two in the charts (certified Gold), 2 number one singles and five platinum or multi platinum singles.

Lizzo has never had a number one album (6 is the highest), one certified Gold album, never had a number one single and four are platinum or multi platinum.

Again, by every metric Dave is bigger. And that's not to mention that he's British so the festival are way more likely to give him a go than an act that's a similar size from the states.

I agree that if they have the chance of booking 3 mega stars one year then they'll go for them over Dave. But they wouldn't book him to sub, they'd just hold on a year and book him when the time is right.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Okay well to compare to the stats I just posted about Dave...

Lil Nas X has had one album that reached number two in the charts (certified Gold), 2 number one singles and five platinum or multi platinum singles.

Lizzo has never had a number one album (6 is the highest), one certified Gold album, never had a number one single and four are platinum or multi platinum.

Again, by every metric Dave is bigger. And that's not to mention that he's British so the festival are way more likely to give him a go than an act that's a similar size from the states.

I agree that if they have the chance of booking 3 mega stars one year then they'll go for them over Dave. But they wouldn't book him to sub, they'd just hold on a year and book him when the time is right.

But even then, Lana Del Rey's albums have gone platinum multiple times in UK and other countries. Even then, albums don't attest to everything it seems. Dave to headline the Other in 2024? Lol. Just joking, he won't be doing that.

But maybe you're right, Dave will get the bump because of his genre and he's British, qualities that aren't quantifiable in stats.

If it was two of Coldplay/Madonna/Rhianna/Eminem/Blur/the 1975 and Dave, that'd be pretty decent.

My prediction was only a prediction anyway, I didn't expect all this toing and froing, ha!

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

But even then, Lana Del Rey's albums have gone platinum multiple times in UK and other countries. Even then, albums don't attest to everything it seems. Dave to headline the Other in 2024? Lol. Just joking, he won't be doing that.

But maybe you're right, Dave will get the bump because of his genre and he's British, qualities that aren't quantifiable in stats.

If it was two of Coldplay/Madonna/Rhianna/Eminem/Blur/the 1975 and Dave, that'd be pretty decent.

My prediction was only a prediction anyway, I didn't expect all this toing and froing, ha!

fwiw based on the info that we have i don't think Dave is gonna headline next year anyway, but he's gotta be in the conversation.

On 8/23/2023 at 2:09 PM, VCK said:

Pink headlining? Is this 2002?

While presumably she's not to your taste - P!nk is a substantially bigger act in 2023 than she was in 2002. Like it's not even close. Feels like back then the audience her shows would have been majority female, 15-25 or so, whereas the demographic has expanded way beyond that since then (moreso than just those fans getting older).

Sam Fender will doubtlessly be talked up as a potential headliner in the next year or two but watching this Reading set, f**kme it’s dull - I’ll be elsewhere doing anything else. He’s of the right age and trajectory to do it, and that’s good, it’s just ahem . . . really not for me 

Noel without Liam peaked when he subbed Macca. There's nowhere higher for him on his tod. Dave is on his way up. If he can put a bit more energy into his live show and release another commercially successful album, surely it's inevitable he'll headline in the years to come.

4 hours ago, incident said:

While presumably she's not to your taste - P!nk is a substantially bigger act in 2023 than she was in 2002. Like it's not even close. Feels like back then the audience her shows would have been majority female, 15-25 or so, whereas the demographic has expanded way beyond that since then (moreso than just those fans getting older).

I feel like most people (of a certain age) were aware of P!nk in 2002, but if she wasn't to their taste, they decided to ignore her and she's not been on their radar since. Meanwhile, outside their musical comfort zone so oblivious to them, she's become pop royalty.

She's absolutely deserving of a headline slot at Glastonbury, and she'd be amazing I'm sure, but I don't feel like she'll get one. I can't quite articulate it, but something doesn't quite fit. I think when it comes to pop acts headlining, they really have to be in the absolute elite tier (Taylor, arguably Bey), or have extraordinary hype around them (Billie). P!nk doesn't really fit either of those categories, despite her extraordinary success.

On 8/23/2023 at 7:17 AM, JonSnow said:

Shockingly wikipedia has informed me she's had a number 1 charting album this year. The more you know eye 

Blackpink! at 10/1 has also made me laugh. I wonder if they ever get a single person stupid enough to back actual 10,000/1's at 10/1

Sold out stadium tour says otherwise. And they did sell out Hyde Park but apparently those things do not matter because the goal posts will always be moved for an act thats not primarily english speaking.