2024 Headliners

Just now, Colorblindjames said:

Ok then so you appear to believe that if artist has an issue with a performance then that issue will continue to happen. 

Coachella is definitely the worst and most famous, but he already had a ropey track record.

44 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Dave's a wee bit away from household name status, but he's still an heir apparent when it comes to G headline status and is often seen in the nation's living rooms on things like the Brit Qwards.

He's obviously already got a relationship with the festival too - his viral Alex from Glastonbury moment, guesting with Stormzy and again this year with Cench, etc.

The BRIT Awards you say?

In all seriousness, you make some great points. I hope Dave gets the nod soon. As an American who moved here a few years ago, “Alex from Glastonbury” was actually my first time ever hearing about the festival. Look at me now.

IMG_7456.jpeg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Sorry not to align with the groupthink. Even stranger is thinking an artist shouldn't attend because of issues with a previous event. 

Your continuous use of the word ‘groupthink’ makes it very difficult for me to take anything else you say seriously. Sometimes, when everybody else says something that you disagree with, it’s less ‘groupthink’ and more that you’re just wrong. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Re. The Brit Awards I was thinking specifically of Dave's performance of Black:

It's a shame he followed up one of the best Brit performances in recent memory with some weird flaming guitar rockstar shite.

55 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Sorry not to align with the groupthink. Even stranger is thinking an artist shouldn't attend because of issues with a previous event. 

Event, singular, and you'd have a point.

When it's a pattern of events (as it is here) then you definitely don't.

His previous tour (6 years ago) was rife with last minute cancellations and late starts. It's pretty clear that the guy doesn't want to play live, to the extent that he's now only played about 13 shows in the last 10 years and just Coachella in the last 6. I guess the money was too much to turn down, but that certainly wouldn't be the case at Glastonbury, and there'd be a higher expectation than anywhere else.

Even if you read one of the more positive reviews of one of his shows - they all say something along the lines of "this isn't for the masses" or "it feels like he's playing to entertain himself" - the kind of stuff that would be bliss if you're a hardcore fan but not remotely suitable for the Pyramid top spot.

Edited by incident

Yeah I saw Frank Ocean at Parklife in 2017. We were really near the front and I thought it was an awesome show, felt really intimate. Had friends who were at the back and said it was the worst gig they'd ever been to.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah I saw Frank Ocean at Parklife in 2017. We were really near the front and I thought it was an awesome show, felt really intimate. Had friends who were at the back and said it was the worst gig they'd ever been to.

He cancelled Primavera so I never got to see him, but it was pretty puzzling that he chose to do exclusively festival headline sets when the material/performances couldn’t have been further away from being made for that kind of setting, especially at stuff like Parklife where everybody’s gurning their tits off.

10 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Dave is way more popular than Tyler in the UK and it's not even close.

Tyler has his own little festival that sells out with no lineup announced in prior to ticket sales and Dave could never muster such a thing.  You can watch it this weekend if you want and see how he can pull all of it together cause of who he is friends with. Dave would be at the bottom of the schedule is he played.

the reason your mum doesnt knoe a certain artist is cause you lot wanna keep new and interesting artists off the big stages and just put the boring safe ones up there.

Edited by Suprefan

On 11/7/2023 at 12:59 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yes, I can't think of another act that would exceed that crowd

other acts can be used to limit it, there wasn't much of a draw that appealed to Elton fans against Elton,.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

other acts can be used to limit it, there wasn't much of a draw that appealed to Elton fans against Elton,.

Fair one, this year's Sunday night options we're quite thin. I think QOTSA suffered from a percentage of people wanting to grasp the last (or only) opportunity they had to see Elton. It was funny seeing how many migrated over from the Pyramid to the Other once they'd heard Goodbye Yellow Brick Road though. On a normal night, QOTSA would have 30,000+ in that field. I'm not sure who would have really made a dent in Elton's crowd, tbh. Maybe a big electronic act?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Fair one, this year's Sunday night options we're quite thin. I think QOTSA suffered from a percentage of people wanting to grasp the last (or only) opportunity they had to see Elton. It was funny seeing how many migrated over from the Pyramid to the Other once they'd heard Goodbye Yellow Brick Road though. On a normal night, QOTSA would have 30,000+ in that field. I'm not sure who would have really made a dent in Elton's crowd, tbh. Maybe a big electronic act?

Someone for the younger audience.  For example FredAgain would have done fairly well I’d imagine 

14 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

Your continuous use of the word ‘groupthink’ makes it very difficult for me to take anything else you say seriously. Sometimes, when everybody else says something that you disagree with, it’s less ‘groupthink’ and more that you’re just wrong. 

Listen mate you made no attempt to seriously reply to the points I've made and instead decided to play the man. Your comment got the response it deserved. 

"What a strange argument, even from you." 

10 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Listen mate you made no attempt to seriously reply to the points I've made and instead decided to play the man. Your comment got the response it deserved. 

"What a strange argument, even from you." 

Others have pointed out his disappointing track record as a live performer / festival act.