2024 Headliners

19 minutes ago, stuie said:

Are there any other psychopathic characters you'd want to make you gasp while standing in the pyramid field? Do they have lyrics about faggots and bitches too? 

Well no...because they don't show movies on the pyramid stage. But I love a good serial killer series to get me gripped... there's plenty of people who are offended by those though.

Here's what Eminem has to say:

he does not equate use of the word faggot to a person’s sexuality, Eminem says when he came up as a rapper in Detroit the word was used freely. “It was more like calling someone a bitch or a punk or asshole,” he explains. “So that word was just thrown around so freely back then. It goes back to that battle, back and forth in my head, of wanting to feel free to say what I want to say, and then [worrying about] what may or may not affect people.

Your opinion is that he means it in the most hateful way possible. I actually believe he was naive and had a crap upbringing in an area of poverty where they probably said a whole lot worse. Maybe he does mean it hatefully, you and I will never actually know! I choose to believe him though because actually he seems like a top bloke in his real life human form. 

Do I think he should use those words...? Ultimately no ... bit late now though. Do I think it defines his whole talent...? No... Do I think that someone should fundamentally change themselves and their language if their intentions are genuinely harmless just because other people are offended..also no. 

I guess the argument is...do you think he's genuine or not? We can agree to disagree on that. 

Knew I was asking for it. *Eye roll* it really is rubbish when people come at you just because they don't like the same things. Thought I'd be brave though, fair play to you all for standing up for what you believe I guess 🤷🏼‍♀️

P.s. I also want Mika on the lineup

Come at me for that one too 🤣

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Knew I was asking for it. *Eye roll* it really is rubbish when people come at you just because they don't like the same things. Thought I'd be brave though, fair play to you all for standing up for what you believe I guess 🤷🏼‍♀️

I'd be delighted with Mika. Has to dig out his theme from the hit motion picture Kick-Ass though. 

• Like 1

Whether you are offended by/disagree with an artist's lyrical content is your own perogitive.

The fact is, that you will find homophobic, violent, misogynistic language and ideas across many acts of all genres that have played the pyramid before and will in the future.

I don't think that is something which is a barrier to someone playing in and of itself...because if it was  Guns'n'Roses wouldn't have played.

It's a clunky way of me saying if an act is big enough and a popular enough that they can headline a festival then I don't think the content of their songs is going to stop it happening.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Nice change from people complaining about GnR and Stones lyrics this.

At least if we do get AC/DC, there'll be none of that.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/02/songs-that-hate-women-and-the-women-who-love-them-why-im-still-a-fan-of-acdc?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

59 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Sorry, I wasn’t coming at you - I was just expressing why I hope never to see him on that stage.  I was going to post some quotes of lyrics but I can’t be assed and you probably know them anyway. I’ll tell you this though, at that time, his lyrics legitimised bullies and encouraged homophobic behaviour.  It’s acceptable to “hate fags the answers yes” when one of the worlds biggest artists is rapping about it.

Glasto is full of love and diversity and it would break my heart to see them give him a platform. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Glasto is full of love and diversity and it would break my heart to see them give him a platform. 

42 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

The fact is, that you will find homophobic, violent, misogynistic language and ideas across many acts of all genres that have played the pyramid before and will in the future.

Just in case you missed it.

16 minutes ago, stuie said:

Sorry, I wasn’t coming at you - I was just expressing why I hope never to see him on that stage.  I was going to post some quotes of lyrics but I can’t be assed and you probably know them anyway. I’ll tell you this though, at that time, his lyrics legitimised bullies and encouraged homophobic behaviour.  It’s acceptable to “hate fags the answers yes” when one of the worlds biggest artists is rapping about it.

I think it's a shame you feel that way because he actually spreads a lot of love and has done more good than a lot of people who have graced the pyramid stage (ah-hem axl rose for one).

Anyway its very unlikely so I don't think you need to worry 

43 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I think it's a shame you feel that way because he actually spreads a lot of love and has done more good than a lot of people who have graced the pyramid stage (ah-hem axl rose for one).

Anyway its very unlikely so I don't think you need to worry 

Coming out during the Marshall Mathers era while your mates are obsessed with this geezer who's spreading hate for faggots was a difficult time 🙂 

Eminem was dire at Leeds 2013. Came on late, played snippets of songs, mimed through massive sections of it. It was crap. 

I only saw about 20mins of his 2017 set but it was much of the same except he was on time, iirc. 

He’s arse now though. Released nothing of note for 20 years. 

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Eminem was dire at Leeds 2013. Came on late, played snippets of songs, mimed through massive sections of it. It was crap. 

I only saw about 20mins of his 2017 set but it was much of the same except he was on time, iirc. 

He’s arse now though. Released nothing of note for 20 years. 

Wow. I mean, I can understand (though still not a fan of) someone like Madonna miming in parts. But surely for a rapper it removes the entire point of them being there?

6 minutes ago, incident said:

Wow. I mean, I can understand (though still not a fan of) someone like Madonna miming in parts. But surely for a rapper it removes the entire point of them being there?

Im not surprised - it's technically very demanding to keep rapping whilst waving around a chainsaw and getting your bum out.