2024 Headliners

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

She might be demonstrabl bigger now, but she was clearly happy to play G20 for what would of been a fraction of her usual fee - so I see no reason why she wouldn't compromise again.

Yeah,  I think it's definitely in the category of "if she wants to do it, she'll do it".

Sometimes I think she is "too big" then other times I think that maybe for someone in her position it would be a fun and different thing to do. 

She doesn't need it at this point in her career but she may fancy doing it.

19 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Either it would be a side-quest at this point in her career or just a chance to try again given this was the big plan for 2020 until some virus or other got in the way.

Guess ball's in her court as to what she wants to do. In 2026 at earliest, probably.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

No worries! Bang on with The Killers as a comparison, I'd say - if anything, think they've knocking it out of the park in 2019 helped them effectively make the step up to the full stadium circuit, having only done the odd one-off before.

I cannot tell if their choice to do arena residencies this summer reflects either a lack of stadia availability or concerns over saturating the market. But I digress.

I guess the arenas run is their choice to stretch it out. Though given several dates still look a fair way from selling out (likely because more expensive than the ITM stadium run), maybe oversaturation has been reached by default.

I know The Killers did Wembley in 2013 and sold it out, but their 2018 touring choices in the UK were a bit more sporadic and peculiar. Certainly it's done some good work for their reputation if they're selling out a whole raft of stadia.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The bigger factor may simply be that she no longer lives in the UK and once it's out of sight it's out of mind.

Perhaps, but she wasn't just due to do Glasto was she? Pretty sure there were a couple of European festivals including NOS Alive and Mad Cool planned.

Saying that, knowing she can now book wherever she wants and people will turn up means that if chasing the stadium cash is an option, makes sense to take it up.

24 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Either it would be a side-quest at this point in her career or just a chance to try again given this was the big plan for 2020 until some virus or other got in the way.

Guess ball's in her court as to what she wants to do. In 2026 at earliest, probably.

Yeah, agree, doesn't feel like it's something that will happen next year. Likely a way off if it does happen. 

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Yeah,  I think it's definitely in the category of "if she wants to do it, she'll do it".

Sometimes I think she is "too big" then other times I think that maybe for someone in her position it would be a fun and different thing to do. 

I think she'll definitely do it at some point. She came to the NME Awards to give Emily Eavis the godlike genius award which suggests she has some kind of connection to the festival to me:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/billy-bragg-and-taylor-swift-strike-up-friendship-after-presenting-godlike-genius-at-nme-awards-2020-2609286

Her current vibe though seems to be to just absolutely drag every possible penny out of all of her fans so I can't see it being for a while.

https://consequence.net/2024/01/festival-headliner-underwhelming-2024/

Very interesting article around the sentiment of underwhelming headliners and a conversation around why that is. It’s mostly US festivals but Glastonbury is used as an example of mostly playing it safe.

It seems to be a mix of factors such as booking cost, most acts have played major festivals before and big acts no longer perform live or see it as downmarket to play festivals. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

They’re around at the time, seem to be playing a bunch of festivals and have a new album out. Seem like a good bet to be playing. 

Nice. Saw them at woodsies in 2019, they were brilliant but hoping they play a bigger stage this year.

28 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

https://consequence.net/2024/01/festival-headliner-underwhelming-2024/

Very interesting article around the sentiment of underwhelming headliners and a conversation around why that is. It’s mostly US festivals but Glastonbury is used as an example of mostly playing it safe.

It seems to be a mix of factors such as booking cost, most acts have played major festivals before and big acts no longer perform live or see it as downmarket to play festivals. 

I did read this a few weeks ago and did find it interesting tbf.