Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Until I see strong evidence it’s wrong I will change my mind, but absolutely everything is pointing that way. Anything else just sounds like copium from people disappointed we are getting three pants headliners.

people have posted alternatives over the last pages , its neither here nor there for me and im sure many of the others on here that are regular festival goers we all know that there are alternative stages to go to ... its the dealing in absolutes at an early stage for headliners that i struggle with . Many talk about the balance and there are 6 months until the festival to sort that 

Just now, VCK said:

I really wonder how some people on this forum survived 2009's set of headliners.

Who, by the way, all absolutely knocked it out of the park, I'm sorry to say.

I saw 30 minutes of Bruce and had a whale of a time at other stages for the rest!  I'd happily do the same again.  I'm not moaning about AM/GNR/Elton as a lineup, just pointing out that after recent years, it seems an odd step for the festival to take.  Unless as others have said, it's slim pickings and they have little choice.

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

people have posted alternatives over the last pages , its neither here nor there for me and im sure many of the others on here that are regular festival goers we all know that there are alternative stages to go to ... its the dealing in absolutes at an early stage for headliners that i struggle with . Many talk about the balance and there are 6 months until the festival to sort that 

But we’ve heard it from someone who has been spot on about info for other festivals so far - and told us GNR were in the frame way before they even announced a date around glastonbury. The info from the best placed sources is all aligning and paints a pretty good picture of what to expect.

Someone who chucks in a random unlikely name isn’t going to get that level of interest from me tbh. Especially if it’s something that’s clearly not happening, like with Harry Styles.

As I said, I think people are putting faith into info that disproves the trio because they don’t like the headliners. I think it’s fair for them to do that as I’ve been guilty for it too in the past.

I doubted Macca and Kendrick last year because up until Feb 2022 they had no dates announced. However, the rumours we have for this year have their dates announced and the days they are rumoured for glastonbury completely free. We’ve already had one confirmed on the day we expected (Elton).

It’s fine to doubt the info because you don’t like the trio, but you can’t expect everyone else to give it the same amount of airtime. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But we’ve heard it from someone who has been spot on about info for other festivals so far - and told us GNR were in the frame way before they even announced a date around glastonbury. The info from the best placed sources is all aligning and paints a pretty good picture of what to expect.

Someone who chucks in a random unlikely name isn’t going to get that level of interest from me tbh. Especially if it’s something that’s clearly not happening, like with Harry Styles.

As I said, I think people are putting faith into info that disproves the trio because they don’t like the headliners. I think it’s fair for them to do that as I’ve been guilty for it too in the past.

I doubted Macca and Kendrick last year because up until Feb 2022 they had no dates announced. However, the rumours we have for this year have their dates announced and the days they are rumoured for glastonbury completely free. We’ve already had one confirmed on the day we expected (Elton).

It’s fine to doubt the info because you don’t like the trio, but you can’t expect everyone else to give it the same amount of airtime. 

so you concede that we get tours announced in Feb then ... and that might change things ? so your absolutes might become less absolute 

Edited by Crazyfool01

9 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

so you concede that we get tours announced in Feb then ... and that might change things ? so your absolutes might become less absolute 

But this is a completely different situation. Feb announcements may throw some mid-bill acts into the mix but on the headliner front something needs to disprove AM and GNR before we can even entertain the idea of it being someone else.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

But this is a completely different situation. Feb announcements may throw some mid-bill acts into the mix but on the headliner front something needs to disprove AM and GNR before we can even entertain the idea of it being someone else.

ok so im confused , we absolutely cant get a headliner announced then unless its not replacing unannounced rumours ? is that it ? 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Other than someone saying its GnR and tour dates. Is there anything else to suggest its them?

Some people in here are saying its Harry Styles and his tour dates match, but that info isn't correct? 

28 minutes ago, Zacko said:

I also agree with Matt that it could just be the way it is this year. Something tells me we're due a curveball that's a bit more exciting, but I'm keeping expectations low.

This is exactly where I am with it. Also, I'm not sure what the reason would be to hold back an announcement for Arctic Monkeys. GnR I can understand as they have BST tickets to shift but the AM tour sold out months ago. I dunno, part of me still thinks there's an ace in those denim shorts

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

are you missing those that like the trio also say different  ? thats the issue here at times we all see what we presume to be the truth and dig in .

24 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'm not sure what the reason would be to hold back an announcement for Arctic Monkeys. GnR I can understand as they have BST tickets to shift but the AM tour sold out months ago. I dunno, part of me still thinks there's an ace in those denim shorts

Assuming it is AM and GnR... if I was in Glasto's position, I'd be tempted to hold back AM and announce them together, maybe with the rest of the lineup. Might feel a little less underwhelming than separate announcements. Idk.

10 minutes ago, dreams_burn_down said:

Assuming it is AM and GnR... if I was in Glasto's position, I'd be tempted to hold back AM and announce them together, maybe with the rest of the lineup. Might feel a little less underwhelming than separate announcements. Idk.

I genuinely can't remember the last time we didn't have atleast 2 headliners announced before the first poster.

If it is the trio that some are saying. AM to be done mid January, legends act to be done early February. Then GnR on the poster as the 'we're really excited to have such a prestigious rock act at the top of our bill along with so many other up and coming acts across the lineup'  

33 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

@roughbloke pardon me for atempting to try and help build bridges 

He told me the R&L headers.  They were all correct

He mentioned GnR being the 3rd header (also mentioned Elton). GnR seemed unrealistic until their tour dates/BST appeared. 

With the tour dates as they are… I’d be surprised if the 3 (AM, GnR, Elton) are wrong.  Of course things can change and the festival thought they had Taylor (as did BST) so I guess could change again. 

Just now, sisco said:

He told me the R&L headers.  They were all correct

He mentioned GnR being the 3rd header (also mentioned Elton). GnR seemed unrealistic until their tour dates/BST appeared. 

With the tour dates as they are… I’d be surprised if the 3 (AM, GnR, Elton) are wrong.  Of course things can change and the festival thought they had Taylor (as did BST) so I guess could change again. 

yes absolutely and i alluded to that earlier .... I like to see good discussion and thats where we are until things get fully confirmed . it is the best info we have , no doubt of that ... doesnt mean discussion should stop ... the importance is that people feel free to suggest or DM info because as we know things do change 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I'm out of downvotes.

Joe Wilkinson would not approve of this bullying comment 

would say thats a bit of a reach. no one has bullied anyone and it is wrong of you to think that.

i think matt is very good at having the most important opinion at all times in this thread.

6 hours ago, sisco said:

So this is a point I’ve been running over in my head and not sure how to say it…. But Is it only Men and Women for the top spots?  When we’re counting this gender split what do people like Sam Smith count as? Genuine question  

Sam Smith isn’t headlining so we don’t need to worry about this! 

1 hour ago, roughbloke said:

I did actually try but when you said all I did was post BS i gave up. 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

maybe nows a good time 🙂 

I read this as now’s a good time to give up 😂 and I think roughbloke did too, hence the reaction! 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

ah maybe ... if thats the case fair enough ... wasnt how it was intended as you can hopefully now see 

yeah, when I saw it was you that posted it I knew you wouldn't have meant that! 🙂

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think this is where I’m at too. AM and GNR could well be wrong, I’m certainly nowhere near putting the mortgage on it happening, but equally there’s been plenty to suggest that the majority of other names people keep bringing up aren’t playing anyway. As I said earlier, it’s not a trio I would have predicted but it seems by far the most likely outcome at the moment. I think GNR are this years curveball, we just heard about them a bit earlier than we usually might.