Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

1 minute ago, sisco said:

Would you like me to agree? Say ok they’ll defo be late, the BBC will cut the feed, the crowd will just disappear?  Or go with the much more realistic…. They’ll be on time?

What an odd post, they have a track record of being late, they were late twice for their last UK gigs only 6 months ago. Nobody is saying they will be late, just that there is a chance of it, and that it’s bizarre to suggest they don’t mind upset their paying, repeat customers, but they’ll somehow treat a festival of people who haven’t directly paid to see them differently.

I've seen Guns 3 times (2 with old incarnation, 1 with Slash and Duff) and 2/3 times they've came out on time.

Download 2006: I think they were early even by 5-10 min

Wembley Arena 2006/7/8 can't remember: came out at around 10:30pm I think and played a full set still but I remember the crowd getting very ag whilst waiting, mexican waves, etc. as the article says 

Olympic Stadium 2017 I think: came out early/on time

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

What an odd post, they have a track record of being late, they were late twice for their last UK gigs only 6 months ago. Nobody is saying they will be late, just that there is a chance of it, and that it’s bizarre to suggest they don’t mind upset their paying, repeat customers, but they’ll somehow treat a festival of people who haven’t directly paid to see them differently.

Yes…. They will. 

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Well they won't be doing the gig for the money either, so if they have that attitude the question is more why they are playing in the first place.

They’re doing BST the next weekend, they’re in the UK already with all of their kit, just because Glasto pay less, it’s still an easy payday which requires no more effort than turning up. It’s not like they’re going out of their way to come over to do it. You could argue the lower fee will make them care even less, if they lose it then so what?

Edited by Jose Pose

Arctic Monkeys - 95%: They've never fully wowed me live but hard to turn down one of my favourite bands on the Pyramid. Something spectacular elsewhere could sway me but I'll most likely be here.

Guns N' Roses - 0%: Very few bands I have less interest in seeing. 

Elton John - 90%: Not as dead set on seeing him as I was with Macca but it would take something big to keep me away from him. 

AM: 0% Frankly, they bore me to tears.

GNR: 80% I’m still a big fan but have seen them plenty including last year. If I thought there might be surprises in the setlist I’d be more enthused but they’ve pretty much been playing the same set since I first saw them in 92. That said, I’d need a good alternative to swerve them, and given the current line up rumours / possibilities, that seems less likely. Porcupine Tree in the JP for instance would do it. 

REG: 100% for a multitude of reasons, this is unmissable.

Arctic Monkeys: 90% Their debut album is one of my favourite albums of all time, and I've never seen them live before. Although I've not been into their music since then.

Guns n Roses: 10% Not my cup of tea whatsoever.

Elton John: 60% Not my cup of tea for the most part, yet, if there's no one on another stage I'm really into, it feels like something special I shouldn't miss.

4 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Elton John: 60% Not my cup of tea for the most part, yet, if there's no one on another stage I'm really into, it feels like something special I shouldn't miss.

Definitely in a minority here, but I felt exactly the same about Paul McCartney, that I 'shouldn't miss it' and ended up leaving half way through and regretting it. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing, imho. 

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

GnR are one of the most successful rock bands of all time.

You don't like them, which is fine, but that doesn't make them a joke.

if guns are selling out stadiums fifty years into their career i'll be amazed.

Thinking back to Emily’s comments about there being dream headliners across both 2022/23, which I was hoping referred to Swifty, I think she must have been referring to Guns and Roses. They feel like quite a personal booking for her. Maybe she’s a big fan and just wants them because she likes them. Fair enough, it’s her festival after all. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

GnR are one of the most successful rock bands of all time.

You don't like them, which is fine, but that doesn't make them a joke.

if guns ever have a seminal live album, i'll be amazed.

25 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

They’re doing BST the next weekend, they’re in the UK already with all of their kit, just because Glasto pay less, it’s still an easy payday which requires no more effort than turning up. It’s not like they’re going out of their way to come over to do it. You could argue the lower fee will make them care even less, if they lose it then so what?

Depends if BST has sold out by then or not. It's possible they're doing Glasto at a cheaper fee as they know the coverage on TV works as promo for that gig. Which falls apart if they're on late because *that* then becomes the story and people don't both booking BST ("How will I get home if they run late and the tubes aren't running?") and people who are trying to watch live will give up after waiting five minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I agree they don't give a shit about the festival itself or indeed the people in the field, but it going out live on national TV, with their biggest gig with tickets available in the country the following weekend, it's a different picture.

I mean, we'll know if you're right as they'll probably decline the TV footage if they're just doing it for the payday, as the money for that won't be worth the risk if anything goes wrong.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

This is getting seriously old now. You're pissing people off. 

a bad booking is a bad booking, you'd have no problem slagging off what you thought was bad.

i bet hyde park has to give away guns tickets.

Arctic monkeys 0%- I can’t stand this band, I’d rather spend my time at work than at one of their shows

gnr 20% - only for slash who has still got it, axl is awful and I don’t like that many of their songs anyway. Would be good to see November rain solo live but I’ll be very easily swayed elsewhere

elton 99% - unless there’s a pink Floyd reunion or mj is reincarnated on other I’ll be at Elton 

Just now, Neil said:

a bad booking is a bad booking, you'd have no problem slagging off what you thought was bad.

i bet hyde park has to give away guns tickets.

I'm pretty sure you've posted every other day about how much you think its a bad booking, how stupid the festival is for booking them and how insane people are to even believe they would be booked since November. If you're going to do this until June then I'm out as its boring and derails most conversations. 

7 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Thinking back to Emily’s comments about there being dream headliners across both 2022/23, which I was hoping referred to Swifty, I think she must have been referring to Guns and Roses. They feel like quite a personal booking for her. Maybe she’s a big fan and just wants them because she likes them. Fair enough, it’s her festival after all. 

Yeah, I do think they were trying for Swift but given Emily was talking about them a couple of years ago, I do think Guns have been lined up for a while. To be honest, given Elton was due to play Paris on the Sunday and that was only rearranged in June, I reckon he's who they went for once Taylor became unavailable and Guns have been there all along.