Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

31 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Fuck me.  I work away for a day and a half and there's 25 pages to wade through?  You guys.....

Someone catch me up, I'm too busy to read it all.

To give you some actual context to the nonsense that ensued yesterday (which I was part of) Neil turned round and said he was never convinced about GnR, and that as far as he can remember he didn’t put them as a TBC.

Hence everyone going mad and suggesting acts like U2, Foos etc.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Even Floorfiller agreed with me and that says something.

No, I arrived here debating which is what a forum is about, that's the difference.

I arrived and said things you don't like, that is your comparison mistake. Yo

you arrived here pretending you weren't the geezer i'd just banned.

6 hours ago, EamerRed said:

I mean, you twisted things so much that you called out one of his posts in a *prediction* thread (i.e. no sources, just a bit of fun), and tried making out that he was posting information, when it was abundantly clear to everyone that he was not.

Everyone knows that posts in that thread are more for fun rather than info. And he posted it immediately after the last festival did he not? So it's quite clear that it wasn't him claiming to be in the know.

That's the basis of you calling his perfect record bullshit. And you are the only person on this forum to have interpreted it that way.

That’s how I remember it. Was it Madonna? 

5 minutes ago, TGCarr said:

Don’t lie and act as if you all wouldn’t enjoy S Club 7 on the pyramid

I know this was probably said in jest but if they're there at all it would be in the pop slot on avalon causing a massive crush again because people will go see them if they're there.  HAVE THIS DREAM COME TRUE, PUT THEM ON THE PYRAMID. 

(not really, but not avalon either)

7 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I know this was probably said in jest but if they're there at all it would be in the pop slot on avalon causing a massive crush again because people will go see them if they're there.  HAVE THIS DREAM COME TRUE, PUT THEM ON THE PYRAMID. 

I only said the headline part in jest, if they're there I'll be there too. First tape I ever owned at an age I can't even remember. Good chance I'll go see them on tour for the beans.

The real spicy meatball this morning is that so many people wanna see Slipknot top the pyramid, it would be such a good left-field booking and they have the stage show to boot. Never happen, but god it'd be a laugh. 

17 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Are they? How exactly? Because Sprinty Dave said nice things about them? Because they did that stunt at the C&G? They've played twice, and they were 20 years apart. Pretty sure Dave appearing this year was at Macca's request, not Emily or Michael's.

Coldplay are friends of the festival. Elbow are. Fatboy Slim is.

Foos aren't on that level.

Not on that level no - just if you create such a problem for someone as Foos did when they pulled out last minute, but then retain a working relationship and still play the festival at a later point, it requires a degree of friendship or at least camaraderie between the parties involved.  But you reckon they'll never play again then? Or you think Sheeran will?

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Not on that level no - just if you create such a problem for someone as Foos did when they pulled out last minute, but then retain a working relationship and still play the festival at a later point, it requires a degree of friendship or at least camaraderie between the parties involved.  But you reckon they'll never play again then? Or you think Sheeran will?

Surely if Foos agreed to play in 2015, it was for the fee + exposure like any other band, not as a favour to Glastonbury?

So why would they not want to rearrange and play again? What would that have to do with goodwill or camaraderie?

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I have never said they'll never play again, they probably will at some point, but 2023 feels too close to the last time they headlined (secret set somewhere would be much more palatable). Sheeran is probably one and done, but you never know.

The whole point of the Sheeran comparison, which I thought was obvious, was that he headlined the same year the Foos did. If he was being rumoured for this summer then every single person on here would be up in arms saying it's too soon and his set would be largely the same as the last one, nobody would think it a likely or good booking. Yet some are saying it hasn't been too soon for the Foos...

Another apt comparison is The Who. They headlined 2007 and again in 2015 (although there were mitigating circumstances behind that second booking), the second set was largely the same as the first and felt completely unnecessary.

Just now, Jose Pose said:

Surely if Foos agreed to play in 2015, it was for the fee + exposure like any other band, not as a favour to Glastonbury?

So why would they not want to rearrange and play again? What would that have to do with goodwill or camaraderie?

Bands who are forced to cancel festival appearances come back all the time, there was nothing out of the ordinary with the Foos coming back. It's not like they'd have burnt their bridges cancelling in 2015, the man broke his leg and couldn't travel. That's a pretty air tight excuse.

18 hours ago, Jose Pose said:

Your MO seems to be latching on to one off events and then shaping the whole festival around them.

My MO is not dismissing as impossible things that have literally already happened. Doesn't make them likely, but it's like me going "there's no way the UK will ever go through three Prime Minsters in six weeks, anyone with half a brain cell can see that's impossible"

The sentiment there is in the right direction: it's unlikely. But to say it's impossible is the crazy position, given it's actually already happened.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Even Floorfiller agreed with me and that says something.

No, I arrived here debating which is what a forum is about, that's the difference.

I arrived and said things you don't like, that is your comparison mistake. You don't even have a reputation count because it would fail miserably.

How's yours doing old son?

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I have never said they'll never play again, they probably will at some point, but 2023 feels too close to the last time they headlined (secret set somewhere would be much more palatable). Sheeran is probably one and done, but you never know.

The whole point of the Sheeran comparison, which I thought was obvious, was that he headlined the same year the Foos did. If he was being rumoured for this summer then every single person on here would be up in arms saying it's too soon and his set would be largely the same as the last one, nobody would think it a likely or good booking. Yet some are saying it hasn't been too soon for the Foos...

Another apt comparison is The Who. They headlined 2007 and again in 2015 (although there were mitigating circumstances behind that second booking), the second set was largely the same as the first and felt completely unnecessary.

Well that's my point - people would be more shocked if Sheeran was rumoured, but's that is because everyone, including you, figured it would be a one and done. And everyone, including you, figures Foos will headline again at some point. That's why it's a disingenuous comparison.

You're correct in what you're saying - people would be more up in arms if Sheeran was rumoured, but it'd be because he was coming back at all, not because it's been such a short period of time. (Although I'll give you, they'd use the time period as a way to deny it's happening, just like folk who don't Foos are doing right now).