Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

Anyway, it looks like we're playing a game of "score internet points by picking out one thing someone posts and saying it's wrong" rather than engaging with actual discussion (me as well as others) so I'm done for a bit.

Oh and it's Pulp, Foo Fighters, Elton and Bono in the legend slot.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Anyway, it looks like we're playing a game of "score internet points by picking out one thing someone posts and saying it's wrong" rather than engaging with actual discussion (me as well as others) so I'm done for a bit.

Oh and it's Pulp, Foo Fighters, Elton and Bono in the legend slot.

It's not "scoring internet points" to point out that something you claim I have done is false.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

I explained why AM were a naff booking way back. (And why I don't actually think they're playing at all, but it's impossible to talk on this thread unless you pretend AM are playing because then people just go "no it's AM".) But to recap, they're a naff booking because they're playing everywhere, headlining much smaller festivals, they're regarded as a weak live act, they're an expensive act and they played relatively recently.

If you're telling me your only metric for if it's a good booking or not is "have they played recently" then fine, we can end this now. That essentially your entire point is that there's some magic amount of time that elapses between 6 years and 10 years ago where a band goes from being a naff booking to a good one. Knock yourself out by all means but that's a weird as fuck approach.

Clearly for a festival like Glastonbury it’s highly important to not keep booking the same acts over and over, it’s utterly unnecessary and would damage them long term. So it stands to reason a major factor when considering if a booking is considered a good one or not is when did they last play? If booking them would be their 2nd headline appearance in 4 festivals then it’s clearly an awful booking. If booking them will be there first appearance in a decade, then it’s clearly a better booking.

The cost argument is a massive reach and clearly irrelevant, its widely regarded acts take a lower fee to play Glastonbury, in that context what is your basis for saying AM are expensive? Are you honestly saying they’d cost more to book than the Foos, or any other act for that matter?

They are expensive for Reading to book, as are most headliners, but that’s clearly irrelevant to Glastonbury.

The playing elsewhere argument is yet again another red herring from you. The very reason Foos are being discussed is because they’re suddenly active and touring. Kenny aside, when was the last time a headline act did it as one off show and not part of a wider tour?

Headlining much smaller festivals is also another nonsense, it’s already been pointed out to you that they’ve sold out stadiums multiple times over.

Your criteria for naff booking seems to be criteria that applies to pretty much every headliner, I.e. they cost a fee to book and they also, shock horror, appear elsewhere.

Not a good live act is subjective, plenty would say they’ve enjoyed AM live before, whereas plenty have said they found Foos ongoing rambling in 2017 tiresome. It all points back to you simply not liking an act and constructing a weak narrative around them to support that view.

Edited by Jose Pose

3 hours ago, Neil said:

everyone is always right if they can claim their wrongs as "just a prediction".

If someone is posting in a prediction thread that’s not claiming any kind of knowledge. That’s different to ‘I have info that such and such is playing.’ As long as it’s made clear that’s an obvious distinction.

59 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I explained why AM were a naff booking way back. (And why I don't actually think they're playing at all, but it's impossible to talk on this thread unless you pretend AM are playing because then people just go "no it's AM".) But to recap, they're a naff booking because they're playing everywhere, headlining much smaller festivals, they're regarded as a weak live act, they're an expensive act and they played relatively recently.

If you're telling me your only metric for if it's a good booking or not is "have they played recently" then fine, we can end this now. That essentially your entire point is that there's some magic amount of time that elapses between 6 years and 10 years ago where a band goes from being a naff booking to a good one. Knock yourself out by all means but that's a weird as fuck approach.

They’re a naff booking in your eyes, there is no objective metric. One of the factors under consideration for some people is how recently an act has played/headlined, and it seems logical that as that gap gets wider its less of a negative.

Edited by MEGABOWL

6 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

If someone is posting in a prediction thread that’s not claiming any kind of knowledge. That’s different to ‘I have info that such and such is playing.’ As long as it’s made clear that’s an obvious distinction.

This is why you need a disclaimer...

On 11/4/2022 at 1:16 PM, Hugh Jass II said:

My prediction**

Arctic Monkeys - Reginald Dwight - Guns and/or Roses

**DISCLAIMER: This is a prediction, it is not based on any insider information nor is it a direct statement of what will happen. I reserve the right to change my mind if and when new information emerges, to crow if I somehow turn out to be right, to conveniently forget anything that is incorrect and to call anyone who disagrees with me a tit. Your rights are not affected because you do not have any.

PS. I was right!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

I came on here to see if there were any other artists predicted to be headliners other than AM and GnR, but 261 pages might be beyond me!! Anyone mind sharing if those still the two main suspects? 

The only locked in headliner is Elton John. Anyone else is a guess. That’s it.

9 minutes ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

I came on here to see if there were any other artists predicted to be headliners other than AM and GnR, but 261 pages might be beyond me!! Anyone mind sharing if those still the two main suspects? 

Basically.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

not nonsense, there was none of that 'prediction' stuff alongside his post of madonna.

You mean this thread? 

A completely unedited post, 2 days after the 2019 festival, along side numerous other users posting in the exact same format. Are all those people claiming to know who is headlining? I don't think it takes a genius (or maybe it does!?) to understand that none of these posts are claiming to have any idea about the line up..?

Almost four years ago. If this is all you have to cling onto, you're just a sad little man. Completely respect if you want to die on this lonely hill but can you just do it quietly? 

Speaking from experience, this forum was part of the journey to Glasto. All the discussions just hype up the excitement. Right now, you're ruining it for me and probably other people. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 13

11 minutes ago, roughbloke said:

You mean this thread? 

A completely unedited post, 2 days after the 2019 festival, along side numerous other users posting in the exact same format. Are all those people claiming to know who is headlining? I don't think it takes a genius (or maybe it does!?) to understand that none of these posts are claiming to have any idea about the line up..?

Almost four years ago. If this is all you have to cling onto, you're just a sad little man. Completely respect if you want to die on this lonely hill but can you just do it quietly? 

Speaking from experience, this forum was part of the journey to Glasto. All the discussions just hype up the excitement. Right now, you're ruining it for me and probably other people. 

Ooooo. I was 2 out of 3.

Or would have been if it had happened.

Purely out of interest, not to back up or tear down recent comments around repeat headliners, but because they've triggered my interest.
I've had a look at the last 10 festivals in terms of repeat headliners (so back to 2009).
Of the last 30 headliners, 11 had previously performed - that means that most years you're likely to have at least one of the three as a repeat-headliner.  2019 (killers & cure) and 2016 (muse & coldplay) both had two repeats, 2014 looks like the only recent festival with all new headliners.
The average time between repeat performaces (of these 11) was 10.5 years, 2016 being pretty weak with only 6 years since muse had played and 5 since coldplay had played.  2019 was better, 12 years since killers had played and 24 since the cure.
Other longest times between repeat performances (again just of the most recent 11 repeats) were 18 years between Paul McC's (2022), 14 years between radiohead's (2017) and 11 years for Blur (2009).
A quick look at the 3 festivals before that (05-08) and Coldplay (05 & 02) were the only repeat of those 9 headliners [Oasis a repeat in 2004 and Radiohead a repeat in 2003 - I need to stop somewhere!]

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

A down vote counter because someone was being a straight up bellend. 

Are you being held here against your will ? Clearly this place is pissing you off so much it’s not doing you good ? All social media has faults . You’ve been here a while so must like the site mostly 

Edited by Crazyfool01

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Are you being held here against your will ? Clearly this place is pissing you off so much it’s not doing you good ? All social media has faults . You’ve been here a while so must like the site mostly 

Well that turned weird. No I'm not. Why isn't it doing me any good lol. Work pisses me off but I still go.